Colorado State Park Camping- Looking for Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After the Cumbres and Toltec, we rode to Durango. I don’t recall any drama on hwy 84. On the stretch to Durango, they were repaving in 2003 and was oil & stone and a bit too exciting on motorcycles 😳

one thing we did notice was at that time, mid May, Durango rolled up the sidewalks early and we only got bar nuts & bourbon for dinner.

I booked Ouray for 11 Nights. Having to shift the target vacation window to the right a bit, but will be able to get it during the non school season with a bit of time in between before he returns to classes.

I booked KOA Ouray, I was not gung Ho about it as I read some not so glowing reviews of the KOA, but I am not going to complain at this point. I fell out of Love last year with KOA when I KOA-d the entire Grand Daughter COVID Get away. We looped out of Texas to Bryce Canyon Utah and back to Texas, so I got to see alot of them.

Ouray Looks like it is a great jumping off point for alot of potential Day Adventures. I am sure there has to be some great trips and hikes in that Area. I waited way too late to book a State park. Lesson learned. I am thrilled I got the Area. Going to have a Great Time for sure!

I am expecting alot from Ouray area. I have been to Interlaken Switzerland twice, so I expect to be WOW-d, by the USA Equivalent. I am sure I will not be disappointed. I notice has some spectacular Falls that comes from the snow melt. They had a similar one called Trummelbach Falls (Roaring Scary Power) near Interlaken. I got lucky to vacation in Switzerland back when I was stationed in Mannheim, Germany in 2001-2004. We took the Train from Interlaken to the Jung Frau Mountain Observatory. They had a observatory at the top. On a Clear Day you could see the Matterhorn. The Observatory was featured on the opening of the TV show "The Amazing Race". Beautiful Area. Top 5 for me for sure.
I was watching Celtic Women on PBS, which led me to looking up the history of the song O Danny Boy, which led me to some history of the song & and the connection to Ouray. Hopefully you can look it up while you are there. https://durangoherald.com/articles/83388. It sure makes me hear the song differently.

Wally,

Just my Luck. I have a Jeep! I don't have a Rubicon with more capable suspension and gearing. I have OEM 2013 Wrangler unlimited OEM everything but tires and wheels, so we won't be out there doing the extra crazy routes. We will get out there and explore the off road scene Ouray some for sure. Appreciate the tip for sure!

I think you mentioned you are a mechanic...

Out of Curiosity, what Replacement shocks absorbers "Brand/Model" would you recommend me putting on my 2013 Jeep 4 Door Wrangler? I was thinking about using Firestone Dealer as he is close and they will rotate the tires I just got from them awhile back. I was Guessing I could find some Good Monroe Shocks? Opinion?

I know nothing but a few brand names, but not sure of what is a better brand over the other. I have a independent mechanic close to the house too if Firestone does not carry a Superior Brand, if out there.

I am going to do it next month so I got a little bit of time to look and price shocks and labor pricing. I am approaching 60K shared miles tow and drive on the Jeep's OEM 2013 suspension.

I bought some Highway 70K Tires for the jeep recently. I couldn't help myself as it was the Poor Old Man in me looking for best value for the money spent. The "Tank Like" sound of tires with the Aggressive Grip Treads make too much constant noise for me anyway. The Jeep is our one and only Daily Driver too when we are not RVn with it in Tow.
I don't have a Rubi, either, mine is a stock '03 TJ Sahara. It does have a factory limited slip diff in the rear.
You would be surprised what a stock Wrangler will do. A couple of years ago, here in Quartzsite, I went on a trip out to the desert with a few of the forum members. Most of their Jeeps were lifted and had bigger tires, but I had no problem going where they went.

The couple in the video usually state that there are bypasses for some of the more radical lines they take, but then if I had my Jeep equipped like theirs, I'd be right there with them. I may not be able to run the lines they do, but I enjoy watching them wheel, and she's pretty easy on the eyes.

Regarding shocks, that's a question kind of like asking what toilet paper you use in the
RV. I like Rancho's myself, but there are plenty of opinions and other options out there. Monroe, and Bilstein are a couple of other good options.

As far as tires, I run Hankook DynaPro ATMs. They're good in snow and out in the desert, not the most expensive out there, and not real noisy on the road. I've been looking to get a new set, and I see that the updated version of the same tire is now showing a 60,000 tread wear warranty.
I chose them by noticing a lot of them on the farm trucks I used to service at the dealership. After asking several of the farmers, and having more than one tell me it was their 2nd or 3rd set, I tried them out. I've now had multiple sets on multiple Wranglers.

Note that at the Antonito end of the trip you are about three miles from the Canyon Bonito RV Park and Fishing Club; A jewel of an RV park located in the woods across the river that parallels the road just beside the station.

It has about 30 full hook up spaces set in the woods. The owners also own about a mile of the trout strean you cross to get to the park. You'll see deer wandering the park and occasionally a bear. We woke up one morning with muddy bear tracks on the MH door. The owners are nice and involved daily. Recommended.

Ernie

I was watching Celtic Women on PBS, which led me to looking up the history of the song O Danny Boy, which led me to some history of the song & and the connection to Ouray. Hopefully you can look it up while you are there. https://durangoherald.com/articles/83388. It sure makes me hear the song differently.
Thanks for the link -- that's fascinating, and not at all what I might have guessed.

Just my Luck. I have a Jeep! I don't have a Rubicon with more capable suspension and gearing. I have OEM 2013 Wrangler unlimited OEM everything but tires and wheels, so we won't be out there doing the extra crazy routes. We will get out there and explore the off road scene Ouray some for sure. Appreciate the tip for sure!

I don't have a Rubi, either, mine is a stock '03 TJ Sahara. It does have a factory limited slip diff in the rear.
You would be surprised what a stock Wrangler will do. A couple of years ago, here in Quartzsite, I went on a trip out to the desert with a few of the forum members.

Like Wally, I have a stock Wrangler, a 2015 Sahara Unlimited (and a 2003 Sport before that), and in the years I've been going to Q there's only one spot that some of the others went that I didn't, and it was a side branch and even the fancy rigs had to be very careful -- I rode up with them, then picked mine up on the way back and finished the route with them. And that includes some rather interesting spots that take a LOT of care on exactly how you go, such as "Jim Dick's Broken Transmission Hill," one of the rougher spots on the trips the group takes at Q.

As Wally said, you might be surprised at what a stock Wrangler (even a Sport or Sahara) can do without tearing it up, and you can learn a lot about traversing the rough country from those folks, including guidance through some of the rougher spots.

Note that at the Antonito end of the trip you are about three miles from the Canyon Bonito RV Park and Fishing Club; A jewel of an RV park located in the woods across the river that parallels the road just beside the station.

It has about 30 full hook up spaces set in the woods. The owners also own about a mile of the trout strean you cross to get to the park. You'll see deer wandering the park and occasionally a bear. We woke up one morning with muddy bear tracks on the MH door. The owners are nice and involved daily. Recommended.

Ernie
Would our 40' M/H fit? It looks like it would be a tight fit in some of the campgrounds around there. Do they bear proof?

Ernie
Ernie, Very Nice! Canyon Bonito (Yea!)

I look at that with directions out of Ouray, Has me going north, and that might not be a bad thing. I bet that 273 miles of driving would be somewhat exhausting? Driving North and Easterly out of Ouray when we depart. That RV Park might be a nice place to stop on the way back to Texas.

Have you taken any of the Google Map Routes on the shared link Below? 84 and 285 ultimately link up and I have only traveled 84 (Excellent Road) I traveled it departing Pagosa Springs Last Year Back to Texas. I would like to give 285 go to see something different.

Opinions of Highway 285? Ernie...Anybody? I may have to go back as Larry talked about some of this in the thread.

Coming back and looking at that map my Specific Question should have been have you traveled from Poncha Springs on 285 South to Espanola?

I am familiar with 285 to Roswell NM as I traveled that last year coming home. This time I need to travel back to Tyler which is a totally different approach leaving Colorado to North East Texas. I live right in the center, here in Bad water, AKA San Angelo.

I need to make time back to Texas as my Grand Son goes back to school soon after we depart Ouray. Baring any SNAFUs we should have him back in time for school start up next year. I am putting faith in the Spirits above. It is going to be Epic! I am going to borrow a bunch of ideas from Great minds here at the forum! BTW I am taking notes!

JD

Last edited:
Cheyenne mountain near colorado springs has a wonderful rv park and plenty to see and do in the area if you tire of the park

X 285 is generally a very good road with the standard problem of having a small town every 25 miles.

Ernie
Ernie, that is the appeal of it for me. :) I am going so slow anyway, I prefer to be off the beaten path and stay on the roads less traveled. I love seeing the old towns. The old rotting metal signs, the neon signs often without the neon tubing in Main Street, USA. I love seeing the old faded advertisements painted on the side of the buildings. The 18 wheeler traffic is alot less also.

I am going to research a bit more, but I am leaning towards leaving North on 550 out of Ouray, Montrose to the east on 50, South on 285 a bit before we cut over east back to Tyler TX area.

I may have to break my IH Travel self imposed rules of not using them, because I am going to have to get him back for the starting of school, and we are cutting it close to start date.

JD

You may want to consider forest campgrounds. Most have water, but not power. If your grandson is looking for camping then these are serious camping. Seedhouse campground outside of Steamboat Springs is nestled right up against My. Zirkel wilderness and is breathtaking. Steamboat lake campground is a bit less primative and also a great place. The area has wonderful trails, lots of streams and lakes in the area. Also rentals of ATV's and horses close by.

Walt, I just did not have a full grasp on the competition for Colorado camp ground spaces. I starting planning long after most 32' Motor Home Slots were booked up on the Internet reservation systems.

Lesson Learned. I got caught up in taking things a bit too easy in Retirement mode, I was asleep at the wheel for booking State parks especially during Children's school vacation season.

I took what I could secure. I do not want to get caught up in a where area we going to stay tonight
situation, as that would ruin the vacation for me.

As a Texan, I am totally clueless on Colorado. RV Forums with Guy like you and Larry, People who have vast knowledge, like Ernie, real world, first hand knowledge can't be substituted.

So much more in life than a google search result. Paid for advertising?

I have the outbound days planned out with 300 miles being right at the furthest. I have a 130 mile final leg into Ouray from Pagosa Springs, taking Million Dollar Highway, 550 into Ouray. I will be on the Inside.. I guess I could get hit by a Boulder or a run away 18 wheeler?

My theory is we have to take some calculated risks in life to experience some WOWs! Not planning on putting anybody in danger either.

I know last year we ventured From Durango to Silverton in the jeep on a day excursion. I am sure Driving it in a 32 ft Motor Home Pulling my Jeep will make the Million Dollar Highway memorable too. I loved scenic Highway 12 coming out of Bryce Area to Hanksville, Utah on the way to Moab last summer.

This trip being a,.. "Grand Son Adventure", I had to compromise the real "Camp Ground Feel" due to late planning and was forced to go with KOA. I am thankful the lady at KOA was nice enough to work us in at KOA, so I am very grateful for that. I don't want to make it sound like I am complaining.

"The Area"... of Ouray, I am sure they do not call it the "Switzerland of the USA" for nothing.

It will be a Big WOW for the boy as he has never left Texas.

Just being in your Great State of Colorado, just soaking in those Majestic Views, those will be images that will never leave his memory bank, and I am sure he will reflect with a smile on his face long into his old age.

That is my goal anyway.

Great memories, and having Fun with his old crusty Grand pa.

JD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom