Comments on our short list?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet in FL

Hi guys!

It's been a while since I first posted, but I've been here reading almost every day.? When I first posted, we were only thinking about buying a Class C, but you encouraged me to look at Class A's. We are still considering some Class C's, but I just love the openness of the A's.? DH and I are going to the Central Florida RV show this weekend in Deland, so I can actually see these things in "real life" and not just on the computer screen.? He has been dragging his feet a little (well, OK, a lot!), but I finally convinced him to go look.

Anyway, here is our short(??) list from my research.? We want to stay under 30'.? Comments of any kind greatly appreciated.

Class A
#1 pick - Tiffin Allegro 28 DA
Georgie Boy Landau 2450
Georgie Boy Pursuit 2970DS
Winnebago Sightseer/Itasca Sunova 26P
Winnebago Sightseer/Itasca Sunova 29R

Class C
#1 pick - Winnebago Aspect/Itasca Cambria 26A
BigFoot 30MH27DSL or 30MH29SL
Phoenix Cruiser 2551
Vanguard Kodiak VXL2701SL

I also like the Coach House and Isata, but they are really pricey.  Am I on the right track?

Folks who own Tiffin products post good reports about the product and the service.

Based on reports from owners of the Tiffin Motorhomes that is the only one of the ones you listed that we would even recommend.

Ron said:
Based on reports from owners of the Tiffin Motorhomes that is the only one of the ones you listed that we would even recommend.

Oh, dear!? And here I thought I did such a thorough job with my research!? ??? I guess I need to start over.

OK, I'll keep the Tiffin at the top of the list, but can anybody give me any other recommendations for a Class A under 30'?? And are there ANY Class C's in that size range that you would recommend?

In class C, you can't do better than Lazy Daze.

I ruled out Lazy Days because they have no slides.  With 2 very large dogs, I feel like we need the space of a slide in the main living area.  Any others you like at all?

All pretty decent choices, I'd say.  Tiffin has the best reputation for factory Customer Service and they are in Red Bay, AL, within a 1.5 day drive for you from central Florida.  That can be a big plus, in the event your rig has any problems.

Leave your checkbook at home when you go to the Rv show. It's too easy to get sweet-talked by glib salesmen with their "show specials". Despite what they say, you will be able to get those prices (and probably even better than that) any day of the year.  Just look, collect brochures and take note (and maybe even pictures).  As you look, think about his & hers closet space, where you will put your dishes and pots,  hubby's golf clubs or whatever else you may drag along.  Stand in the shower and sit on the commode to see if you can really live in those pretty little cubbyholes.  Have fun!

Janet, I am surprised that no one has mentioned the RV CONSUMER GROUP to you.  I strongly encourage you to type in RV CONSUMER GROUP and it will take you to their home page.  They have a subscription or member service that provides ratings on most motorhomes.  As a result of subscribing, I ruled out a lot of class A coaches (The Allegro 28 does have a good rating with them).  I am also looking and have just about settled on a class C - largely for safety reasons.  I currently have an Xplorer 23XLW but am seriously considering Coach House.  In fact I plan to go to their factory next week.  I know it is pricey but it has a lot of features that I like.  By the way, I checked the RV Consumer Group ratings on Lazy Daze and they were excellent.  My primary objection to Lazy Daze is no slideout and I don't like the cab over bed.  Good luck and consider looking  into the consumer group.

For what it is worth, Buy something.  It is a great way to travel.

Gerry

IMHO the  RV Consumer group info is not something you would want to make your purchase decision on.  They do not do any tests and most of their information appeared to me to be  simply speculation and somebodies judgement call from what I saw.  While they do have some good points to consider don't take it as gospel.  The last time I reviewed their material it seemed to me to be just speculation.  With no tests accomplished. 

In my opinion you will get more useful information here by just asking the questions that come to you mind.  Get information from experienced owners and possibly from owners of coaches you are considering.

When we were in the market for a coach and had shortened our list of possibilities when ever I would see a coach on the list I would try to meet its owner and find out just how they liked their coach and what kind of support they got.  In our case we never had a bad comment on the American Coach.  We bought an American Eagle.  We had two Bounders before and were very happy with them too.

I wouldn't recommend laying out any cash to get RV Consumer Group opinions but then that is just my opinion.

First of all, thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.? We went to the RV show yesterday and saw loads of travel trailers, pop-ups, fifth wheels and HUGE motor coaches!? Not very much in our size range, but I did get to see some that were on my short list.? Since we plan to buy later in the summer or fall, we still have a lot of time to check things out.

I have another question though for all of you.? How about the quality of the National RV brand?? Someone mentioned on another board that they have just come out with a 29 foot model (Surfside, I think).? Was wondering about the quality?? Any thoughts?

I think the National RV rigs are OK but given what I have seen between the two I would still lean toward Tiffin Products as they seem to have a better reputation based on what I have heard from owners. But then we have never owned either.  I am sure there are members here that can give you some first hand reports on both manufacturers.

I can't recall ever hearing a bad comment about a coach made by Tiffin.

I agree with Ron...  of all the Class A's you have mentioned so far, Tiffin is the only one I would consider.

Most important, and someone above already alluded to this, use the shows to kick the tires and inspect but NOT to buy.  And test drive at the dealers any coaches you are interested in owning.  You will always equal or beat any prices you see at the shows, despite what their stickers say.

And if you can, don't buy a coach right off the dealer lot, but specify the colors, interiors, floor plans you want and do a factory order.  Be patient and wait for it to be shipped, or even arrange to pick it up at the factory.  That way you get a coach that has never been used for shows or to let people tramp around in.

And once again I cannot stresss enough, test drive any coach you are seriously interested in.

National RV has always had a pretty good reputation for quality and customer service but I had a lot of trouble with mine in the first 18 months or so. It's all straightened out now and NRV was pretty good about repairing everything, but I can't say our personal experience was all that great.

I can say that the National Seabreeze gives outstanding value for the money. Two friends bought them and have been quite happy.  As a National owner, I've been getting news update son the new Surfside and it is supposed to be an even better deal than the Seabreeze.  It is geared to exactly the segment of the market you are looking at, so it deserves a very close look.  NRV has a factory service facilty in Lakeland, Florida, so factory-direct warranty service would be readily available to you (in addition todealer service).

Tiffin has a proven record or quality and excellent customer service and if I were buying today I would choose Tiffin over NRV IF both rigs met my needs equally.  But things are seldom equal in all other regards, so the decision could be a tough one.

Hello,

I'm a new owner of a Jayco Granite Ridge 3100SS, and am extremely pleased with it. It is a class C, 31', with the super slider, and in my research it rose to the top. They have a 29' and 31' in the Granite Ridge model, and 29', 30' and 31' in the Greyhawk series (which is their mid-level line).

Good luck in your decision!

Janet,

Good to seeing you ask your questions here.

I do want to clear up some coments by Ron about the RVCG as he seems to not be aware of how the function.

Ron>IMHO the  RV Consumer group info is not something you would want to make your purchase decision on.<

I agree completely. However, they have very informative materials, will educate on every brands great, good and so-so models as they see it. They teach you what to look for and how to select, inspect and buy on your criteria. . .and probably save 25% +/- off MSRP.

Ron>They do not do any tests and most of their information appeared to me to be  simply speculation and somebodies judgement call from what I saw.<

The RVCG does not do tests. They use only the manufacturer's published materials to report on each model  of RV listed in their rating book. The RVCG makes clear the standards that they use and how they came to those standards. They made popular the terms: Full Time, Trek, Snowbird, Vacationer and Weekender as to the categories and why they place an RV in one of those groups. They do use owner reports and accident stastistics to give their judgement as to long term value of a unit. I sometimes disagree with them, but I understand how they reached their conclusion and look closely at models they are leary of. I stll like Blue Bird Wanderlodges even if they do lose a lot of $$$$ in depreciation and wish I could afford to lose that depreciation. ::)

Ron>While they do have some good points to consider don't take it as gospel.<

I second Ron's caution, but remember they'll give you a lot of good, solid information. One thing the RVCG will teach you is to be aware of payload. I personally recommend theat you figure out how much payload you require for your needs as one criteria for your short list and that you make that amount a requirement in any sales contract. Then weigh it "wet" at a certified scale before you load it up an/or drive it home. A lot of salepeople really don't know the payloads of individual models and some just plain lie by saying, "I don't know exactly, but look at all the storage!"

Another great Class C Is Born Free http://www.dodgen-bornfree.com/, like Lazy Daze it's made to order and of very high quality. They do have a 32'' with a rear queen bed. These two are my first choices in C's. Some of the Tiffin coaches are better than others on payloads, so examine their stats closely. The owner, Bob Tiffin, is a quality focused gentleman from everything I've ever heard. He might be close to retirement.

Keep coming back and ask away!

When we were shopping for our fulltime motorhome, we bought the RVCG books and used them to guide us in our shopping.? When we settled on our present coach, the weight numbers in the RVCG book were quite different from the actual numbers for the coach, and when I reported the true value to RVCG at their request, they didn't even bother to correct the numbers that they published.? I decided then that if I can't trust the numbers for a coach that I personally am familiar with, I couldn't trust ANY of their numbers.? Sorry, Bob, but I have no faith in the RVCG as a resource for making a major buying decision like an RV.

I do want to clear up some coments by Ron about the RVCG as he seems to not be aware of how the function

Sorry but I am fully aware of how they function and IMHO there are many much better and accurate resources available including this RV Forum.  I have reviewed their material in the past and stand by my strong recommendation to take their information with a grain of salt.  I still strongly recommend against spending any money to get their information.  IMHO while some of their information is valid too much is speculation and inaccurate. IMHO when somebody new to RVing is searching for valid information in many cases they wouldn't have enough RV knowledge to separate the valid and invalid points from the RVCG data which could result in a bad decision. 

I stand by my Recommendation against using RVCG as a resource when make a decision involving the cost of a Recreational Vehicle.

Ned & Ron,

We agree completely on purchasing decisions.

If someone has never owned an RV, I do believe that our forum and any and all written materials need to be studied. The RVCG, while they aren't authoritative since they use the manufacturers published advertising for stats do explain all the types of rv's and provide useful criteria for the future or beginner rver to absorb as they grow in their knowledge.

Ned, the RVCG cannot by their own rules change the weight or length stats as they use the materials the manufacture supplies and only those materials. If the manufacture produces new advertising with new figures, then they change their printed materials, but not until then. As they do not test, the fairest wstandard is to use and accept the manufacture at their published word. It's "a," not "the," place to learn.

My point was they asked me to report back with the correct weights for my coach and when I did so, they never changed their publication to reflect the true numbers.  This was not a case of HR changing their advertising, it was a case of RVCG publishing incorrect data and failing to correct it when they were told about it.  That makes all of their data suspect.  And as they don't test, how can they make recommendations as to suitability?  The data they publish is just one or a few persons OPIONION but they present it as fact.  That can be very misleading.

As you say, this forum is much better source of objective and factual information.  Maybe we should charge $100  too :)

Back
Top Bottom