Commercial for hands free truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

winona

Saw the commercial during the SF and Green Bay game for a hands free truck which showed the driver not touching the wheel while pulling a trailer, maybe an Airstream. Of course, he’s sitting behind the wheel, smiling and chatting with his passenger. My one and only thought was “just how safe to not be actually driving while pulling a trailer!” Crosswind? Sudden stop? Something in the road? Wonder how you explain the accident to your insurance company. Hey, cruise control and hands free. ‘Scuse me while I go get something to drink.

And we’re not to text and drive? 🤪

When small craft auto-pilot became available, I installed more than a few. After the installation and during the sea trials, I would always ask the owner, "Do you know what it will do when it sees in front of you?"
Matt

It's commercials like that, that will cause accidents. Now where did it say that the driver had to be alert at all times and not take his hands off the wheel.
It only says driver needs to pay attention and only use on compatible roads, what ever they are

Murphy's Law covers that potential accident.
NO in one state at least the HOMICIDE laws covered that accident and ther driver is convicted.

IT's like showing a small truck pulling a load that would give an F-450 problems... DANGEROUS and the companies who do it need to be charged with reckless endangerment.

When small craft auto-pilot became available, I installed more than a few. After the installation and during the sea trials, I would always ask the owner, "Do you know what it will do when it sees in front of you?"
Matt
More than one long range voyager has slept on autopilot right into shipping lanes. I sailed in Singapore for 5 years. The Singapore Straits are not for the faint hearted, inattentive or slow.

At night it's even more fun. Anytime you can't see the lights of Singapore you can bet it's a ship between you and shore - LOL...

I'll start the rant. Not a fan of self driving cars. I get that they are Futurama vision. But on a per mile basis if Fords or Chevy crashed as much as Teslas and caught fire there would be so much recall, so much outrage and congressional hearings.

DonTom and I had a spirited discussion about self driving and some anti crash switch that can be turned off but, sorry. I mean, why even have a crash switch that "can" be turned off? That's like having a disconnect the brakes switch - LOL...

This stuff ain't ready for prime time and Elon is getting a bye from the NTSB and congress IMO.

It seems that hybrids are much more prone to fires than either gas or electric only vehicles.

• Hybrid vehicles: 3,474 fires per 100K sales
  • Gas vehicles: 1,529 fires per 100K sales
  • Electric vehicles: 25 fires per 100K sales

Driverless technology is going to put a lot of people out of work. There will still be professional drivers, but, I expect a lot of routine freight shipments will be sent via "driverless carriage" in the nearer future. Isn't that fate. First we get rid of the horse. Now we get rid of the human. It's not all bad, though. It will create a bunch of new jobs and business opportunities as well.

As an automotive enthusiast who enjoys driving, I don't want any part of it. Even though there are some things technology/machines can do more accurately and precisely, driving is a skill. The same way that a hand-written letter seems to carry more personal tone, driverless vehicles are like a typed love-letter. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Of course, there are people who will be happy to be relieved of the "inconvenience" of driving, of sitting in traffic every day, letting the car park itself in a tight space. I wonder where they missed the point, lost their way?

Saw the commercial during the SF and Green Bay game for a hands free truck which showed the driver not touching the wheel while pulling a trailer, maybe an Airstream. Of course, he’s sitting behind the wheel, smiling and chatting with his passenger. My one and only thought was “just how safe to not be actually driving while pulling a trailer!” Crosswind? Sudden stop? Something in the road? Wonder how you explain the accident to your insurance company. Hey, cruise control and hands free. ‘Scuse me while I go get something to drink.

And we’re not to text and drive? 🤪
Saw that one, too. Terrible marketing in my opinion. Same with all the commercials for accident avoidance and pedestrian detection systems - most of them show people just plain not paying attention and the then car saves their butt!

As for self-driving cars in general, I don't sweat it too much. They'll have their place - urban spaces, congested highways during the morning commute, etc. - but they won't make it to my neck of the woods any time soon. We barely have pavement markings out here much less the technology for that!

I love the adaptive cruise control in our Subaru Legacy - set it and ride with traffic. My MIL has it in her car, too, but won't use it because she has to "be in control". To each his own.

I don’t expect driverless over the road trucks to displace many workers. Right now, they cannot hire anywhere enough drivers. Not many want to do over the road trucking and our empty shelves are somewhat related.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom