Completely new to the whole RV lifestyle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kroehm1972

Greetings to all my future friends. Although a bit away, my wife and I have a dream of just going back and forth between Arizona and Colorado. No more winters for me! I'm into the freedom of the full-timing lifestyle and so is my wife. I'm looking at a Dodge 3500 quad cab, long bed w/ dual rear wheels as a tow vehicle and as for a full-timing rig, I have done some research since 2009 and have attendend some RV shows, and I really like alot of the 5th wheels, so that's what I'd like to lay my head down in. I have lots of questions and I'm hoping to get some realistic opinions. Hope to hear from you all soon. ThAnKs!!

Kroehm1972,

Welcome to the forum! Lots of fulltimers here that can help as well as a lot of part timers who also can help. Be sure to visit our library and ask any questions you might have.

The truck.....assuming that 3500 is a diesel is it also 4x4 or limited slip?

The 5th wheel....you might consider signing up for RV Consumer.  It's much like the Consumer Reports for the RV industry where they rate every RV by model and year (you can narrow your search just to 5th wheels and even my year, etc.).  They rate on reliability, value and an overall star rating.  They also rate each unit by weekender, vacationer (up to two weeks), snow birder (up to six months) and full timer (year around).  What they don't explain is if you can live in a unit for six months comfortably, why you can't live in it year around comfortably if it's a true "all seasons" (thermal pane windows, heated holding tanks, plumbing up in heated space, enclosed bottom, etc.).

I was looking at a particular make and model of 5th wheel (hey, it looked really nice) and somebody made the suggestion to me about RV Consumer.  I'm glad I took the suggestion.......I was about to go straight to the bottom when I jumped off that cliff.  As it is, I ended up with a 5th wheel that has very high ratings, didn't bust the bank, is a true "all seasons" trailer.

Another tip.....if you're wanting to go "new".  Once you identify the brand and model that you've settled on, do a search for a prior year (2011 or 2012) that's still sitting at a dealership.  If it hasn't been sold or registered, you'll get a huge savings below the current year's model.  And about the only thing that's different is the interior colors and the exterior graphics.  I learned this one to late but I did get my 2013 just a couple weeks after they came out at $5k below MSRP......$10k below would have been much nicer. ;)

Just be aware that RV Consumer Group doesn't actually do any testing like Consumer Reports does - they just review literature and write opinions, based on their own personal criteria for what constitutes a "good RV".

RV Consumer Group has to be taken with grains of salt, for sure, but their literature did raise a lot of useful issues for us to consider years ago when we were new, so that helped.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Just be aware that RV Consumer Group doesn't actually do any testing like Consumer Reports does - they just review literature and write opinions, based on their own personal criteria for what constitutes a "good RV".

I read that they also inspect many of the units personally.  Not the same as "testing" but certainly carries more weight than not knowing anything about RVs.....which is where I was at when I was ready to pull the trigger.  Not saying it's the end all but for somebody that's new and doesn't want to do the two, three or four major $$$ mistakes learning through trial and error (aka experience), I think it's the most reliable information I could rely on.

Kind of begs the question......is there a source of more reliable RV information out there?  If there is, I'd like to know. ;)

Back
Top Bottom