Composting toilet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pymmint

Sorry I posted this somewhere, but I have no idea where, so this may be a double post ! :p

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I?ve been considering a composting toilet; I?ve found Nature?s Head & Air Head & one more that doesn?t seem we?ll known, Separett, but they all seem to be close to $1000 AND seem a bit of a prob to ?empty?;  I also heard about and looked into C-Head which is several hundred dollars less, but seems a bit bulky !  Are there any other brands I should be looking into;  please don?t suggest a 5gal bucket, I?m not ready to go,that route; or a camp/port-a-potty toilet.  It just seems they are fairly ?simple? and shouldn?t be costing close to,$1000.  Also I?m not prepared to do a DIY, I might as well do the 5gal bucket, because that?s what it would end up as  ::)

Where are you going to dump the residue when necessary?
Is this to replace a flush toilet in a trailer or a new install?
Unless your way out in the woods for months at a time I just dont see a practical reason for one.

My understanding is you can take the urine into ?any? bathroom, vault toilet, whatever; from what I read and I?m not considering the solid for composting, you bag it and throw in the trash, just like human diapers, wether adult or child.  This is to replace an existing toilet and not have to worry about finding a dump station as often, by however way of  combining my grey & black tanks together I will have more capacity for grey water, allowing me to stay out longer Boondocking, because the grey always filled faster.  The two tanks combined equal the same capacity as my fresh water tank.

Before buying one I would strongly suggest watching this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM71d8wMuUU

Personally after what they said I don't see how they came to their conclusion

I was wondering if a composting toilet made any sense for me until I watched that video. Quickly scratched that idea off the list and then buried the list 6 feet under the ground!!!

Nine times out of ten you will run out of potable water long before you fill the black tank

With just me, I can go the better part of 3+ weeks before I need to empty my black tank; the point of the waterless toilet is that I will be able to hold MORE grey water, utilizing both tanks as grey tanks before I need to dump.

I added a third twist-on dump valve to the existing outlet. That lets me connect the two tanks for both flushing purposes and to extend the grey capacity when needed. Walmart often has the Valterra twist-on valve in the RV section, and Amazon also carries them...

Attachments

• 2015-08-10 09.58.40.jpg
    2015-08-10 09.58.40.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 13
I'm always amused with replies stating things like "I think there is no reason to do that or use something" when they actually have no or very little personal knowledge or experience with the issue.  :(

Isaac-1 said:
Before buying one I would strongly suggest watching this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM71d8wMuUU

Personally after what they said I don't see how they came to their conclusion
What a great video.  Many thanks for finding/sharing the video. 

I think it is very important to realize, that at the very end of the video they state that they will not go back to a standard RV toilet.  The toilet works for then. 

Back
Top Bottom