Composting toilet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The guy in the video was very responsible but not everyone is. In these pandemic times I would think raw sewage in a trash bag in a public dumpster just can't be sanitary. I can't believe there are not laws against this.

A well designed porta-potty with a separate tank seems more sanitary for them and other campers. At least liquids and solids end up in a proper septic system.

The guy in the video was very responsible but not everyone is. In these pandemic times I would think raw sewage in a trash bag in a public dumpster just can't be sanitary. I can't believe there are not laws against this.

I don’t believe it was raw sewage. I believe all the solids were airstrd some how and all that was left was compost. He didn’t elaborate on that.

Last edited:

A well designed porta-potty with a separate tank seems more sanitary for them and other campers. At least liquids and solids end up in a proper septic system.
While it might seem so, one needs to consider how many disposable diapers, dog doo-doo bags, and cat box litter end up in dumpsters everyday. Dumpsters aren't sanitary - rotting food, mold, bacteria, etc. and the former for example. I don't think the number of plastic bags with coir and waste in them being disposed makes much of an impact in comparison.

Linda

Our son in VA and us when we are there poop in a bag and burn it in a burn barrel. Grey water is just dispersed around the property at least 50’ from the creek.

Our son in VA and us when we are there poop in a bag and burn it in a burn barrel. Grey water is just dispersed around the property at least 50’ from the creek.

Reminds me of my days out in the field in Vietnam. We had outhouses. Below each seat was 1/3 of a 50 gallon drum. Once every few days we go around the back of the outhouse, open up a access door and reach in with a metal Rod to pull out the drum. Then we’d put some diesel fuel and sometimes some artillery pounder bags and burn it.
I can still remember what it smelled like.

I am looking at using an incinerator toilet at our cabin in VA. They are not noisy or scary anymore. A family of four can go for about a week and it produces about a cup of ash. We are also going to install a diy grey water system. Doing this because the estimate for a septic was $12,000.
Wow. $12,000 or more for a septic system vs $2,000 for an Incinolet is a no brainer (gators do have brains, right?).

There are several videos on YouTube describing composting toilets in RVs. "Not for everybody" seems like an apt description. Here's the video that impressed me the most - it's an actual experience report and quite frank.
I remember seeing this video when I bought my first composting toilet. It's a good honest appraisal and helped to convince me to make the switch. Removing the toilet and dismantling to empty it isn't easy though - especially when full! But not dealing with poop as frequently to stay off grid longer was the real benefit of dry toilet... Each to their own I guess. Looks like there's a new product coming out soon on Indiegogo that seems to address these pain points: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cuddy-the-best-portable-composting-toilet

Back
Top Bottom