Concerns about Your Best Address in Sioux Falls, SD address format

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mileena

I just learned Your Best Address in Sioux City, SD is in a suite, not a stand-alone building with its own address. The address format full-timers here would use is:

401 E 8th St
Suite #214
PMB [xxxx]
Sioux Falls, SD 57103

This is disturbing to me. Part of the reason for getting a PMB address is to conceal the fact that it is only a mail box and trick people. This is why the USPS began offering street addressing a few years ago, to offer PO Box service which competed with the UPS Store and the like:

https://www.giantprintshop.com/2012/02/01/street-addressing-now-available-for-usps-p-o-box-holders/

It is common for businesses to use a PMB service with "Suite" or just "#", instead of "PMB", to present a professional image.

For Your Best Address above, you cannot use:

401 E 8th St
Suite 214-xxxx [xxx is your PMB number here]

or

401 E 8th St
#xxx [xxx is your PMB number here]

All the mail forwarders I have used in the past all have the format:

123 Any Street
City, State, Zip Code

This allows me to use as address such as:

1234 Any Strret
Suite #[xxx]

or

123 Any Street
Apt. # [xxx]

or

123 Any Street
#[xxx]

This is important, since if my banks found out I was using a PMB as my residential address, they would close my accounts, as this is a requirement of the Real ID Act. Same for rebate companies that forbid you to use a PO Box. When I tried to enter a PO Box or PMB for my banking residential address, they wouldn't let me.

So which mail forwarders in South Dakota has a stand alone street address, not a suite?

And years ago, in the 90's, I tried using my PO Box at USPS with the address in the format below (before they actually began to offer real street addressing for a higher price):

123 Any Street [actual street address of ther post office]
#456 [my actual PO Box number]
City, State, Zip Code

And a postal employee there threw a fit. He said I should use:

PO Box 456
City, State, Zip Code

Here are the other mail forwarders in South Dakota, besides Your Best Address:

All UPS Stores (about 12 of them--prices vary drastically)
Escapees (Box Elder, SD)
My Home Address (Emery, SD)
South Dakota Mail Forwarding (address unknown)
America's Mail Box (Box Elder, SD)
Dakota Post/Alternative Resources (Sioux Falls, SD)
Corn Palace Mail Forwarding & More (Mitchell, SD)
Fast Forward Services (Keystone, SD)

With all due respect, you're fooling yourself if you think that how you write a PMB address keeps financial institutions from knowing it is a PMB.  Virtually all of them use databases that identify PMB's. 

I just changed all my addresses over to YourBestAddress and had no problems with any of them.  Most firms use address fields that permit a second address line.  I had one insurance company that couldn't handle a second line, but we compromised and wrote the address as 401 E 8th St, Suite 214PMB1234  They were quite happy to use that complex field for the apartment/suite entry.

It seems to be happening less lately, but if you get a financial institution that insists on having a physical address, just inform them that the Patriot Act permits you to use the address of any relative or friend who would be likely to know how to contact you.  We had exactly one credit card issuer who asked for a physical address so we gave them our daughter's home address.  The card issuer agreed that the address would have no impact on the mailing or legal address for the account.

docj said:
With all due respect, you're fooling yourself if you think that how you write a PMB address keeps financial institutions from knowing it is a PMB.  Virtually all of them use databases that identify PMB's. 

I just changed all my addresses over to YourBestAddress and had no problems with any of them.  Most firms use address fields that permit a second address line.  I had one insurance company that couldn't handle a second line, but we compromised and wrote the address as 401 E 8th St, Suite 214PMB1234  They were quite happy to use that complex field for the apartment/suite entry.

It seems to be happening less lately, but if you get a financial institution that insists on having a physical address, just inform them that the Patriot Act permits you to use the address of any relative or friend who would be likely to know how to contact you.  We had exactly one credit card issuer who asked for a physical address so we gave them our daughter's home address.  The card issuer agreed that the address would have no impact on the mailing or legal address for the account.

Thanks! Yeah, one of my banks would not let me use the PMB as an address when I entered it online. But when I put it in the "#" format, witohut "PMB", it let me. I will keep your tip in mind though in case I have future problems!

mileena said:
So which mail forwarders in South Dakota has a stand alone street address, not a suite?

We are with Americas Mail Box in Box Elder, SD  There preferred address is as follows:

John Doe PMB #0000
514 Americas Way
Box  Elder, SD 57719

or same as above with PMB # on the second line.

But was told by staff there, as long as your PMB # is in the address it does not have to state "PMB" as a prefix to the #.  So in some cases I have just simply added #0000 after our name and have not encountered any issues.

mileena said:
Thanks! Yeah, one of my banks would not let me use the PMB as an address when I entered it online. But when I put it in the "#" format, witohut "PMB", it let me. I will keep your tip in mind though in case I have future problems!

Some address fields don't like the # sign and want only "alpha" characters.  If that happens I just put something like "Unit 1234" and everything is fine.

Back
Top Bottom