Condition of I-95 southbound in SC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
When traveling from NH to FL, We usually get back on I-95 just south of Richmond. Last year when we crossed  into SC, the road was terrible. THUMP, THUMP, THUMP for maybe 50 miles or so.  The road was littered with chunks of tire rubber. I ended up getting a blowout because of it. It looked like they may have been working on the road to fix it. Has anyone taken that road recently and what was the condition. I understand northbound was the same.

Rene, your title says NC but you're talking about SC.

The week of July 4th last month, we were on I-95 both going north and south between Jacksonville, FL and I-26 in SC. The road was fine. We didn't notice any rough spots and had no problems. Safe travels everyone!

Dream Chasers said:
The week of July 4th last month, we were on I-95 both going north and south between Jacksonville, FL and I-26 in SC. The road was fine. We didn't notice any rough spots and had no problems. Safe travels everyone!

Sheryl & Bobby, It was north of there. I took 26/77 last fall to get home instead of going 95 all the way up to NC.

Irover said:
That area of interstate has always been horrible. Traveled it from the mid-1990's until 2009. The Northern counties must not get many funds for road repair, or the State don't care!

It looked like they were doing something like replacing some of the concrete sections. Hopefully they plan on grinding down the other areas then asphalt over that. I was hoping someone may have come down that way in the last month or so. It would have been probably 50 miles of road from NC line and south.

Irover said:
That area of interstate has always been horrible. Traveled it from the mid-1990's until 2009. The Northern counties must not get many funds for road repair, or the State don't care!

agreed,
I too have been travelling that stretch since the mid 1990's when I moved to FL... still do, going home to visit family, but not as often as I used to.  I've always figured that area of SC is a bit depressed economically....actually, it seems that way generally over most of the areas in the state the state that I've been.  I remember passing under some rusted bridges a few years ago, I think in the Columbus area of I-26 that really looked dangerous to me.

Sorry, can't add more to the original question...it's been a while since I've traveled it.

Rene, It sounds like maybe you're taking I-81 in Virginia the I-64 to I-95. 'Zat so?
Have you ever taken I-81 to I-77 to Columbia, then I-26 to I-95?

I've come to like hopping off I-95 at Florida route 200 to Callahan to avoid Jacksonville, then US 301 to Ocala, and I-75 and the Turnpike home to Orlando.

PopPop51 said:
Rene, It sounds like maybe you're taking I-81 in Virginia the I-64 to I-95. 'Zat so?
Have you ever taken I-81 to I-77 to Columbia, then I-26 to I-95?

I've come to like hopping off I-95 at Florida route 200 to Callahan to avoid Jacksonville, then US 301 to Ocala, and I-75 and the Turnpike home to Orlando.

Yes to both of your questions. We liked taking 64 over to Richmond but last year was the pits in SC. We use to take 77 and 26 but there were a lot more hills than 64. But we will start using 26/77 again until they fix the roads in SC.

Depending what day but yes we have taken 200 to Callahan then 301 then 75. If we are going south an a Saturday we'll go thru Jacksonville down to I-4 then over to Lakeland.

Rene T said:
If we are going south an a Saturday we'll go thru Jacksonville down to I-4 then over to Lakeland.

They've finally finished fixing up I-4 between Daytona and Sanford, but "I-4 Ultimate" construction in Orlando has that place a mess.
You might look at getting off I-4 at 414 in Altamonte, and take that over to 429, thence South on 429 to I-4. You'll run into bridge construction at the 414 exit, and the first couple of miles of 414 is not limited access. But once you get on the limited-access portion of 414 it's a sweet drive the rest of the way. However, it is tolled, so have your Sunpass/EPass ready.

Another option (all tolled) is to pick up 417 at Sanford and take it around Southeast Orlando. More expensive, but all limited-access and should be clear sailing.

PopPop51 said:
They've finally finished fixing up I-4 between Daytona and Sanford, but "I-4 Ultimate" construction in Orlando has that place a mess.
You might look at getting off I-4 at 414 in Altamonte, and take that over to 429, thence South on 429 to I-4. You'll run into bridge construction at the 414 exit, and the first couple of miles of 414 is not limited access. But once you get on the limited-access portion of 414 it's a sweet drive the rest of the way. However, it is tolled, so have your Sunpass/EPass ready.

Another option (all tolled) is to pick up 417 at Sanford and take it around Southeast Orlando. More expensive, but all limited-access and should be clear sailing.

The I-4 construction is suppose to go on till 2021.

Back
Top Bottom