Confessions of RV Forum members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
As a newbie to RVing you shouldn't feel bad about making your first mistakes; It's happened to all of us, at least once. To read a few "confessions" stories click on the Library button above, select Newcomers need to know, then click Classic RVing goofs.

Yours truly has a story there too.

If you'd like to add one of your own, just reply to this message.

Here's another Joe story:

Hi Ned.... it is the 'day after' for me and the first time I've had to breath clean air<grin>

First, the temperature is 54 degrees at 7:19 Minneapolis, MN time.  Yesterday was cool in the 70's and a bit windy...another plus for us.

Why the emphasis on the weather?  Well, it helps to set the scene for one of the most embarrassing RV moments I've ever had.

We had arrived at the Northwest KOA in Minneapolis just as dusk was turning to night.  We were tired...having made the trip from the St. Loo locks in one day.  With the new pup (Missy) we had to stop more frequently than we normally do when traveling.  I have to report that she is definitely NOT housebroken yet....almost 3 months old.

It was an easy decision to make regarding hooking up.  Only for electricity and do the rest in the morning...

The next morning was sunny, windy, and in the low 60s when I started the hooking up process. (Now don't get ahead of me...but I can imagine you smiling already<grin>

I've found that my plastic stool (4 legs) is a great benefit when having to 'squat' down and work (take things out of the bay doors as well as put things in and definitely helpful when attaching and dis-attaching the fresh water and sewage connections.  I carry it with me when moving from one operation to another.  So, I was sitting on the stool when attaching the water hoses to the campground supplied water outlet.

Next, I moved to the fresh water and sewage bay...taking the stool with me and placing it directly in front of the bay.  It is important to know that there was a fairly large tree directly behind me.

Sitting on the stool, I put the Y on the faucet and attached the hose I use to flush out the black water tank.  Then I put the filter on and attached the city water hose.

I tested the water setup by turning on the water....no leaks.

Next, I took out the sewer hose, put the 90 angle plastic end on and stuck it in the provided hole in the "ground".

I was putting on the clear plastic end on the actual sewer hose....in order to place it on the waste tank outlet......when Cricket yelled 'something' and the tone of voice told me that water was flooding out of the toilet on to the floor.

I automatically reached up and pulled the "T" handle to empty the black water....and even as I was doing it...I realized that I didn't have the sewer hose attached to the black water tank....and the black water waste literally blew out the opening and struck me in the chest..... at the same time I was trying to get out of the way by literally throwing myself off the stool backward...

I hit the tree, lost my balance, fell down,...meanwhile the crap continue to flow out the connection..... I reached up and closed the black water valve.....but the damage had been done.... I was covered with waste from my chest to my toes and the ground all around was a literal shallow large puddle.

The next 30 minutes I was taking an outdoor shower....about the only thing that saved my sanity was that there was no one around in this large campground<sigh>

You have heard people saying they have been crapped on....but I don't know of anyone but me being able (not wanting to be able) to say.... I crapped on myself.

How did the whole thing happen.... easy to explain (with head lowered)..... when I tested the water for leaks, I never turned OFF that hose that flushes the black water tank.  It continued to fill....and when Cricket tried to flush it.... the totally filled black water tank did a very good impression of "Old Faithful" in the national park.<sigh>

Now you understand why the weather was a blessing.... it took 2 gallons of bleach (one full strength to spread on the mess and the second gallon (diluted) to provide what it takes to soak in the ground....the wind helped and the cool weather worked to keep the smell down to a barely manageable odor (good thing our noses quickly adapt to the local environment.<grin>)

Enjoy sharing this "RV non-Kodak moment"<grin>

-joe-
Live your Dream, Life is not a Dress Rehearsal

Hey Ron, don't you have any mishap stories to share with us?

LOL thanks Ned. I've added it to the library file.

Ned  I say this with tongue in cheek,,  Are  you certain it's the puppy that isn't house trained and you just plaine had an ACCIEDENT yourself and couldn't make it to the john .  At least that would be my excuse, and I'd blame it on the pooch, too.  I'm laughing as I pictured what you were doing as I was reading and I'll bet 100 to 1 your're not the 1st that that has hppened to.  Thanks for the story,  I'll remember to go before addressing the hook ups.

Well, it wasn't me, it was Joe Lacey.  I have a collection of his stories from over the years in various emails and will post some more as I find them.  Joe has been our forum "object lesson" for a long time and he has a habit of coming up with new lessons periodically.

When my dad retired, he bought a 26 ft. Road Ranger 5th wheel and a new Chevy pickup to tow it.? Several years later, he decided it was time to replace the trailer and bought a new 5th wheel to replace it.? ?The dealer didn't offer anything substantial for the trade-in, so he offered the old trailer to me.

It was kept in a storage yard near his house, and he arranged for a second space for the new trailer.? ?But wasn't comfortable backing in and out of tight places, so he wanted to keep his old space, which was directly across from an access road so he could pull straight in and out.

I told him I would swap the trailers around so the new trailer would be in his space and the old trailer would be in the new space.? We went to the dealer, picked up the new trailer, and took it to the storage lot.

I unhooked the new trailer, leaving it in the aisle, hooked up the old trailer and moved it to it's new parking space. Then I went back to put the new trailer in it's space.? I slid the hitch under the trailer pin and lifted the jacks.? No need to bother with the electrical or breakaway hookups, since the trailer was only moving a few feet.

However, I also neglected to make sure the 5th wheel hitch was fully latched.? When I pulled forward, the trailer slipped out of the hitch and landed on the bed rails of the truck with a loud bang, leaving two matching indentations on the trailer's front cap.

I was able to lower the landing gear and get the trailer re-hitched, but I was very embarassed about denting my dad's brand new trailer.? He still laughs about it, saying I spared him from putting the first dent in it.

Ned,

Reading the Joe L. story reminds me to ask, How is Joe doing these days?  IIRC, not too long ago he had had a run in with a bout of bad health.  I hope he's doing well (if it's not too rude to say, because we need more Joe Lacey stories ;D).

Ciao,

Doug

Oops Lou. You sure have an understanding Dad.

Doug,

Joe is doing much better.? His emails have gotten more coherent over the past months :)? They are planning on being back in Livingston for Christmas after stops in Surprise, AZ, and Hemet, CA.

Joe is doing much better.  His emails have gotten more coherent over the past months Smiley  They are planning on being back in Livingston for Christmas after stops in Surprise, AZ, and Hemet, CA.

That's really great to hear, Ned.

Doug

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom