confused rv wanna be

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin

Hi,
as stated above, I'm very confused. My wife and I are wanting to start spending more time traveling (lake, vacation time stuff). We started looking at c class motorhomes, and have quickly found out that the cost of a new one was close to the cost of a nice used a class.. Then the choice between the gas and diesel made the question's even more confusing.

If anyone has any advice please let me know...thank you

Each of us can only speak for ourselves and the answers you get will not be yours, only our perferences,  A down the line here.  Deisel is better in most circumstances but way more expensive  15 to 30K difference.  You can buy lots of gas for that to find out wheather or not you like it.  A gasser will do anything you need it to do, Maybe not as faster are maybe less fue mileage, but then the diesel is higher.  More cost to service.  I prefer the gas and a mid level unit such as we have a Pace Arrow.  Others will like different units.  MY personal preference would be a 40' American Dream or a Tiffin Allegro Bay.  JMHO  Good luck in what you choose    Just make sure  Mama is satisfied with the kitchen or you can jucnk the RVing idea.

Welcome to the forum.

Confusion happens.  At least you are being smart about it and asking questions.

RVs, much like cars, depreciate in value.  Yes, you can buy a new RV that is shiny and comes with a warranty.  Buying a new RV does not mean you will have fewer problems.  For the same money, you can have a very nice used RV a step above, but with no warranty and it wont be as shiny and fresh.

Gas units cost less up front and the fuel costs less per gallon - but - the service life is shorter, the mileage is lower, and has less torque.
Diesel units have lots of torque, get good mileage, and have a long service life - but - the fuel and the engine cost more.

If you plan to keep the RV for a long time, the diesel will pay for itself eventually.  If you tow, the extra torque of the diesel will come in handy.
If you plan on driving the rig on weekends, towing only light loads, and putting less than 75,000 miles on the rig before you sell it - get a gasser.

thanks for the info,

I have been looking at the coachmen sportscoach(new) at about $137,000 a 2001 fleetwood discovery at around $85,000 and a new forest river breck shire?? for around $150,000.. all have their pro's and con's but not sure witch way to go. I also should add that the main reason we have been looking for a motorhome-v-5th wheel is that my dad has had another stroke and we need the room for him to be comfortable while going on our trips. I'm just trying to make the best decession with out going broke doing it..

I strongly recommend a used rig, especially for your first motorhome.  They deliver much more value for the dollar than a new one.  Furthermore, RVs are full of compromises in space and convenience. You need to learn what is important to you and the odds are heavy that you will find you have made some less than optimum choices in your first large RV and will want to trade for something different. 

And I like Will's succinct advice - "buying new does not mean fewer problems". It might even mean just the opposite!

You sound much like my wife and I.  We went to an RV lot and was looking to buy a new Class C.  It wasnt till the salesman told us of a New Class A that had been used as the Demo model for past year and that we could get it for a third off original sales price that we decided to run with that.  We do not regret it in the least.  Gas mileage is not as good as the Class C might have been but we are a heck of a lot more comfortable.  If I had to do it again i would go looking at used RV's first and probably go looking for what we want which is basically what we have now except I wish I had a little more closet space. 

Kevin  There are deals out there  you just have to keep looking  When the right one for you and your wife shows up, you'll know it, if you've looked at enough of them.  Just don't hastily jump into something, nor take someone's word for it.  Check it out thoroughly and completely.They are goin gto hi-ball you, so always be prepared to low-ball them.  On the right unit you will meet somewhere in the middle.  Offering  a ridiculous low figure for something isn't foolish, it's a starting spot.  You never know, you just might buy for something close to that figure.  After all, he's going to start too high, so nothing lost.  I always tell them I looking for the biggest and best model just off the assembly line and willing to spend up too  well maybe a $1000  but I want $300,000 for mine.  Don't we all.  After a laugh you can get down to business.  JMHO

I think the best decision I have ever made is finding this site. Thank you everyone for your info and input...It's hard to filter thru all the bs at dealerships, and private party sales too..I do think that I might have found a good deal?? and a good guy...I found a 2001 fleetwood discovery at a local rv dealership for around $80 plus, with sales slow maybe in the low $80 or high $70..The sales man(he wasn't much of a sales man...more info man) is a service man who moved to sales. He is a real mechanic, not a service writer...He gave my wife and I  some great info and seemed more interested in explaining the rv's we looked at than trying to get us to sign on the dotted line...we looked at a nice 2000 alpine but was not suited for 6 people... both are diesel 36plus both 6speed... so I think we will try to go do a test drive and see how things go, still would like to look at the coachmen sportscoach path finder,but $137 is alot more...I was also told about exteded warranties for the fleetwood. so maybe I could get alittle coverage... thanks again

Kevin  that Sportscoach is a far cry from the Dynasty.   In fact the Alpine is an entry level unit if I'm not mistaken.  Dynasty is a fine unit.  With the situation with your Father, I'd go for the Dynasty or look at other Monacos, Ameriacan Coach products,  Tiffin Allegro, and Newmars  as used before even considering other new units.  They just don't compare when getting entry level units.

I found a 2001 fleetwood discovery at a local rv dealership for around $80 plus, with sales slow maybe in the low $80 or high $70.

A Discovery is a decent unit and a popular choice for a first coach. It's a step above Fleetwood's entry level diesels but still not high priced. I'd say $80k is too much for a 2001 36 footer, though.  Check the NADA guide for the specific model, but the asking price should be somewhere around $72,000 and I would try to buy it for less. Especially if you are somewhere where winter has choked off RV sales (RV sales boom in the warm South during the winter, but fall off elsewhere).

NADA Guides

Thanks Gary for informing me,  I wasn't aware, however they never appealed to me either, hence the knowledge, rather lack there of.

I went to nada and put in all the options that I'm pretty sure it has and it said low was around$72 and high was around $87.. I called him today and they want $87, but..... they have not moved any of their used rv's in about a month, so maybe I can get them down to the low $80's or high $70's...I think they are all hurting around here..the chevy guy called me today and asked if I still was looking for a new tahoe...I said naaahhhh maybe later, and he begged me to come in on wednesday and see if they could get their price down to what I needed it to be...sure is nice to NOT have to buy...seems like they want to really work hard when you don't have to buy RIGHT NOW... to bad everything isn't that easy..thanks again guy's...

I went to nada and put in all the options that I'm pretty sure it has and it said low was around$72 and high was around $87..

You can pretty much ignore the options add-ons - they don't really have much effect on price (despite what book says) and just about everything that these coaches typically have are included in NADA's standard price anyway. Just because an item is a factory option does not mean that it should be added to the NADA base price. The book shows the price as the coach is typically equipped, which usually includes several factory options.

In any event, don't pay the high book - that's the price the dealer wishes he could get, in his dream fantasies. It is the price that he starts from when giving a trade-in allowance, to make you feel you are getting real money for your trade (you aren't). If this is a cash sale (no trade), don't pay over low NADA. Try for less.

THANKS,,

I didn't know about the nada book being that way... I figure if he want's to sell it bad enough he will go around $70 and I would be ok with that...I have been looking on their site, and they haven't moved any of their used or new rv's that I could tell in the last 2months. they also sell 5th wheels too, so maybe they will be ready to deal... you can check it out on mcgaugh rv, check out the used class a's...and let me know what you think..thanks again....kevin

DH wanted diesel for the longetivity of the engine.  I wanted gas because I hate the smell of diesel.  I finally changed my mind to diesel because the rear engine makes a much quieter drive.  You don't have to talk over engine noise.  I really don't notice any diesel odor, even when the generator (in the front) is running.  And the generator doesn't make as much noise as the engine.

RV Roamer said:
Yeah, $70k would likely be a decent price. Hang in there. If he won't play, there will always be another one elsewhere.
  Well I got alittle more confused... we went back to rv dealer, and looked at the discovery again,but they showed us a 05 and 06 alfa see ya that they are trying to get rid of......both new, no miles 36-38foot list is around $200... they will sell at around$150, then they showed us a 06 bounder 38' with a cat diesel 3 slides.. list is $180 they will sell for around $150 too....they want $10 grand down on the 01 discovery and 15yr finance...they want $2,500 down on the alfa's and bounder and will go 20yrs... my mom and dad said they may go in half on one so that oped the door to more rv's... so now I guess I gotta decide...gotta love being confused... If you have any answers I have open ears...thanks again..kevin

Alfa is not a quality unit .  Workmanship is poor design is great.  They seem to be throw together.

Kevin

You should be able to get a 20-25% discount on brand new, current model coaches. '07s are out and both Alfas are used as far as model year is concerned. You should get a substantially better discount on them, particularly the '05. The dealer is only offering you 17% off on the Bounder, you should be able to get it for less. I'd offer $125,000 and not go over $144,000. They should also be offering less than 7% interest rate on the newer coaches.

Back
Top Bottom