Confusing but simple tech problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This will be my last refrigerator related message in this thread.

I ran the refrigerator all day, off and on between propane and 120 VAC. Including generator. All the smoke is gone and all is working perfectly.

But I did some experimenting today and I will continue with the refrigerator a little later in this section.

The title will be "No GFI at RV refrigerator outlets"?

I will post it in this section, but IMO, non tech people should know this stuff as well.

-Don- Auburn, CA

For two reasons I would try to clean the oil. The first is the oil can/will "coke" up and make getting that thing out the next time, super impossible. If you die before that happens it's probably not a factor but the next owner will have fun cursing you - LOL...

The second one is the chance that it might catch fire.

I may not disassemble but I probably would not have assembled is covered in oil either. I'd probably try to flush the area with spray brake cleaner or at least a good dish soap water ix.

For two reasons I would try to clean the oil. The first is the oil can/will "coke" up and make getting that thing out the next time, super impossible. If you die before that happens it's probably not a factor but the next owner will have fun cursing you - LOL...

The second one is the chance that it might catch fire.

I may not disassemble but I probably would not have assembled is covered in oil either. I'd probably try to flush the area with spray brake cleaner or at least a good dish soap water ix.
I expect the new one to outlive me. But if it doesn't, I know what to try and not try and if I still cannot remove it, I will have a propane-only refrigerator. I can live with that better than those stupid (IMAO) DC only refrigerators some new RVs now have! That I would not tolerate, not even with my new $1,700 battery.

I don't think fire is possible there. They won't but insulation in there that can catch fire! At least I hope not!

I figure it's now cleaned out enough just from it running all day yesterday. The oil all went up in smoke! But I kept a close eye on it while it was smoking, with a fire extinguisher close by!

BTW, I noticed the element turns off when the refrigerator gets cold enough. My empty freezer was at -15° F. yesterday when I let it run all day.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom