Connecticut To Florida Where Do You Layover To Rest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
    That's a pretty broad question without a lot of parameters.  When we head south, it is usually in December, so we are "gumbooting" it to get below the risk of snow.  So, unless the snow is imminent, we head over the I 84 to the I 81, then down the I 77.  Since we are trying to make time, we usually stay at Flying Js or Walmarts.  However, in the spring on the way back, we will rarely stop for less than a couple of days at a campgroud, so that we can unhook the toad, and see the sights.  It is usually 3 nights on the way south, and rarely less than 3 weeks coming north.

Ed

What route do you take and when are you going? December - February on I-95, our experience is that not much is open until you get South of Washington, DC. Carolina Crossroads is just South of the Virginia/North Carolina border. Rvacation campground is near Smithfield, NC.

We generally travel US-13/17 down the Coast. Starting South of Virginia Beach there arelots of campgrounds open all year.

The I-81 route is way out of our way so I have no information about that.

From our Upstate NY cottage, we take I-88 to I-81, with our first night's stop at Falling Waters Campground in Falling Waters, WV. Then on down I-81 to a night at Ft. Chiswell RV Park in Max Meadows, VA before hopping on I-77 to I-91 with a stop at Jolly Acres RV Park in St. George, SC, and then on down to FL, with another overnight that varies depending on our FL end point. All of the above parks are open year round.

If you are just talking "rest" we do the Wal*Mart thing.  Easy in, easy out and always something we need to buy. 

Pocahontas State park in Virginia south of Richmond VA and Santee State Park in South Carolina.  Both are pretty easy to get to off of I-95.  I personally like the 301S route around DC unless you are traveling at an odd hour.

As Ed described we follow the same route, we have stopped at way too many GC's to pick one some days we go 200 miles others 300 sometimes even 350 and always there are CG's close to the exit. Also some very interesting places a few miles off, endless caves, natural bridge, battle grounds lots of things to see and do or just as fast to go to the free places for a quick rest and off you go. Good traveling,
Jim

Hey thanks all I guess I should have been more specific. I'll be looking for safe rest stops leaving CT 84 to 81 to 64 to 95 I want to do it in 3 days instead of two

From NY we just did  84, to 87 to 287 to78 to 81 to 66 to 17 to 95 @ Fredricksburg, VA  I think it was only one small toll and the roads were much better.  We usually went 84 to 81 to 66 to 17 to 95 but some of the roads were horrendous.  Either way, we use WalMart, Cracker Barrels or Flying J for over night.  No matter where you stop, be aware, look around and if you don't feel safe, move on.  Always use good judgment, don't open your door to anyone you're not sure about.  Stop early enough to get a spot if you stop at a "J".

Coming back from Myrtle Beach, last month, we did stop at Rvacation, Selma, NC.  We figured we would stay 2 nights and ended up staying a week LOL.  It's a nice little park and the management is awesome! So I agree with that one :D

JoAnn

If you are taking 95 - an hour off 95 in South Carolina near Orangeburg is Yogi Bear Jellystone at River Bottom Farms (www.riverbottomfarms.com). It is an awesome place to stay for a few days or just over night. Great Staff, pretty location with amenties (pool, fishing ponds, river, playground, haunted house in Oct).  This CG is 45 miles outside of Columbia, SC where you can take in the sights should you wish of the state house, gov mansion, state musuem, childs musuem, etc....

Cracker Barrels allow overnight depending on location.  We did RI to FL and would high tail to get south of DC somewhere.  Summer months a lot of options.

We leave end of December from Saratoga, NY and our Route is: 87, 84, 81, 77, 26, 95.
Stay in Mechanicsville, Pa first night, then Ft. Chiswell, VA.  Usually do 350 miles per day.  For those of you who stay in Wal-Marts, what town are they in? We have found many are posting signs that indicate no overnight parking.

casey3830,
We are leaving to go to FL on Thanksgiving Day and are taking the exact same route you are taking. What I did was go to Walmart and picked up a Rand McNalley Road Atlas for 2014.  At the top in small letters, it says it has listings for Walmart's and Sam's Club store directory. In the listing, it list all the Walmart's by RTE number and Exit number. I then went in and high lighted all the Walmart's which are on my route. For instance, there are 7 Walmart's in Virginia off I-81. The Walmart's listed are also within 2 miles of I-81. It will be so easy to find where the next closest Walmart will be for us just by looking at the map. Also the listing says whether its a Super Walmart and if it has fuel (gas and Diesel). Hope this helps. Also you may have read the thread on Flying J's and some Cracker Barrels allow overnight strays.

JoAnn, if you  continue on  I-81 to I-77 then I-26 you would probably find the roads more to your liking.  It also seems if you take I-84 to I-81 it eliminates that nasty 87/287/78 where traffic's always a crap shoot.  I've found the gas prices better on this route vs I-95.

We left Pa. on 10/29 and stayed at a Cracker Barrel in Staunton, Va. We are now at the Cracker Barrel in Santee, SC and will get to our destination tomorrow.
We have had no problems overnighting at Cracker Barrels.

Mike

We drive down every other year sometime around Thanksgiving and Christmas. We drive down as far as Raleigh-Durham, park and fly home, work for 4 weeks then fly back and take a slow cruse the rest of the way. I wish I could say we do a lot of back and forth though usually just one other trip late winter. We always say will do the reveres getting home in March but we end up driving straight through with one or two Walmart stops. Our day will come when we head south and stay put for the winter.

Mtn.Mike said:
We left Pa. on 10/29 and stayed at a Cracker Barrel in Staunton, Va. We are now at the Cracker Barrel in Santee, SC and will get to our destination tomorrow.
We have had no problems overnighting at Cracker Barrels.

Mike

Mike,
Is the Cracker Barrel in Staunton Va. visible from the highway or is off the beaten path. Do you remember what exit it was on? It sounds like it would be a good stopping point for us coming down from NH. We usually make the first day a long one to get far enough south away from the cold. It will be about 12 hours. My wife helps out by driving some.  Then the second day may be about 8 hours then the 3rd day to our final destination which is Lakeland FL. Thanks for any info.

gc1966 said:
Conn to Fla is a day trip :)
Gotta agree with this one. I've made that trip many times, and always in a single shot. From south central NY (near where 88/17/81 meet) to the Daytona Beach area in usually about 16.5 - 17 hours with 2 drivers. With a new driver in the wings, I'm not sure we'll be utilizing him just yet...Co-pilot for sure but not behind the wheel.

We go 81 to 66 to 17 to 95 most trips, but will do 83 in PA depending on the timing and traffic. Baltimore and D.C. are definitely something to avoid when traffic is heavy.

Driver changes are usually Front Royal, South of the Border, Santee and then at the FL welcome center with a run for some orange juice.

Most stops are long enough to fill up, grab a bite, and hit the road again. The couch is quite handy for napping.

Back
Top Bottom