Connecting battery to external charger and converter at the same time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllTheToys

My fifth wheel came with a Parallax 7355 Converter Charger. I believe the charging circuit has failed and is not charging the battery anymore. I put a freshly charged battery in it yesterday and ran loads on it until it was down to about 75%, then plugged the trailer into shore power. After 8 hours, the battery was still at around 78% charge. I'm measuring charge with an external charger that shows percentage charge (Schumacher SC1359 smart battery charger). I've decided to replace the lower part of the Parallax with a Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power 4600 Series.

The problem is I have a 4 day camping trip scheduled this week and don't have time to deal with this before the trip. Would it mess up anything if I brought the external charger and had it connected to the battery and charged it from a generator? In other words, the battery would be connected to both the Schumacher smart battery charger and the failed Parallax at the same time. Thoughts?

The Parallex 7300 series is a single stage charger.. One output voltage... IF you determine it's toast I might recommend progressive dynamics 4600 series (get as close as possible on the last two digits) This replaces the "Electronics" behind the fuse/breaker panels with a top of the line 3-stage charger/converter

Now to your question... One of the lovely things about the 12DC side of life is you can parallel with no problems. Hook up a SMART charger and the only issue is one or the other may be "Fooled" into shutting down... but I do not think that will happen in your case ..

Yes, that is what I posted I was going to do. Good to know that you recommend that too. I found one at Home Depot of all places.

Back
Top Bottom