Considering upgrading 30amp to 50 amp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike&Chris

Hello all! So awesome to see this forum and hoping we can get some feedback. We are 1st time RV'rs and realize we have a lot to learn! ;) We took our 2020 Winnebago Intent 28Y (with 2 AC units) 30 amp vehicle, out for our first overnight at an RV park locally to test things out before we hit the road. We ran both ACs all night with no issue however the next morning we had an issue - of note as well I plan on working in the RV and have multiple devices connected (laptop, hotspot, monitor) anyway that first morning had 2 ac's running, 2 TVs, Laptop, I made coffee from Kurig, used the Microwave, oh and also my husband was working to get the newly installed winegard wifi unit turned on - and ACs & TVs stopped working - we thought we had blown a fuse because we still had lights but we later realized that we must have flipped the breaker at the RV parks power pole (lights running of 12V battery). So with that said we are seriously considering upgrading from 30amp to 50amp. I plan on spending time in Phoenix AZ and we will use the RV here in FL and it can get super hot - not to mention I need to work in the RV. The dealership said this is a costly upgrade and are currently putting together a quote - verbal estimate said could run a minimum of $2500.00 - anyway thoughts and coaching on the topic would be so appreciated!

Generally its not worth the expense to change power. It would entail among other things a new panel, possibly a new converter, new pig tail for starters.
Trying to run 2 ACs off 30A is not adviseable. Each AC will draw about 15A, so with just the 2 ACs running you have already consumed 100% of your available power. At that load things start to get hot, plugs, wires etc can get cooked rather quickly.
Probably yoir cheapest option would be to bite the bullet and upgrade. Next would be trade the MH for one already 50A

There is a way to get a "poor man's" 50 amp service. Normally 50 amps is two 50 amp feeds bundled in a single plug and cable, giving you a maximum of 100 amps of 120 volt power. Currently you have 30 amps of 120 volt power. To use both 50 amp feeds means the $2500 upgrade the dealer told you about, including upgrading your power panel to one that can use both feeds.

But you could upgrade to a single 50 amp feed (half of the normal dual 50 amps) without changing out your existing power panel. Replace the power cord and plug and upgrade the main breaker to a single 50 amp breaker. Connect one hot lead, neutral and ground to the power panel leaving the second hot line in the power cord capped and disconnected.

Mike and Chris,
I have done this change both ways.... That quote was not out in the weeds at dealership prices.
It is basically a full days labor and about 200$ in parts not including the new 50 amp cable. That cable can be between 100 and 400$ depending on length and quality.
A lot depends on what panel you have now and if a 50amp(two line) is available that is similar.
If you try to upgrade to existing panel to a 50amp single line, there can be problems that are dangerous.
Best if you talk to a real electrician or at least a knowledgeable person before you spend money.
Matt

If the goal is to run 2 A/Cs, intercept the wiring from one A/C, and add an outlet and a plug on a pigtail. Then, at the park, use an extension cord to plug the A/C into a 20 Amp outlet. Easy and inexpensive and safe. I did this on our Suncruiser and used it many times.

I don't know the wiring layout of your coach, but $2,500 seems to be in the right general ballpark, I would guess higher to have a professional shop do it given $120-$150 per hour labor rates, plus the parts that would need to be changed out. If your coach was offered with a 50 amp upgrade option from the factory it might not be too bad as then there is likely a correctly size / shape 50 amp panel that will drop in in place of your 30 amp, then add on 50 amp wiring to the panel, moving all the breakers over, plus a 50 amp transfer switch and 50 amp power cord. Though again layout and current wiring setup is going to go a long way in determining how difficult of upgrade this will be.

Many Winnebagos aren't all that expensive to upgrade power because they already have a 50A-capable load center. On a few the upgrade is simply a matter of changing the shore power cord. That is sometimes the case if the model was available with 50A power as an option. I don't know about the 2020 Intent, though.

A quick look at the Intent wiring diagrams, it looks as though a new load center (breaker box) would be needed, and maybe the ATS too. Plus the shore cord. That's a fair amount of labor and parts, so expensive at dealer shop rates.

I also see that Winnebago has some power sharing components in there, which probably explains how you were able to run as much stuff as you did on a mere 30A. There is some sort of specialty circuit for the rear a/c and also the microwave. Maybe your owner manual explains something about that.

Intent Wiring Diagrams

Last edited:
Please be careful with electrical. I have been an electrician for well over 30 years and have seen people die in homes and rvs because they dont know what they are doing but think they do. Just so you know the current 30 amp system is 120volts. The 50 amp is 240 volts. The 50 amp is two legs of 120 but it is not 100 amps. The loads will need to be devided into the 2 legs of 50 amp power. This is like your stove or dryer circuit. So the work will be to split the loads evenly and the equipment that may be needed in your rv to do this. If the loads are not done correctly an imballance will be put on the system feeding the trailer and you can cause the rv site issues.

Generally its not worth the expense to change power. It would entail among other things a new panel, possibly a new converter, new pig tail for starters.
Trying to run 2 ACs off 30A is not adviseable. Each AC will draw about 15A, so with just the 2 ACs running you have already consumed 100% of your available power. At that load things start to get hot, plugs, wires etc can get cooked rather quickly.
Probably yoir cheapest option would be to bite the bullet and upgrade. Next would be trade the MH for one already 50A
Really appreciate the response and guidance - thank you!

Please be careful with electrical. I have been an electrician for well over 30 years and have seen people die in homes and rvs because they dont know what they are doing but think they do. Just so you know the current 30 amp system is 120volts. The 50 amp is 240 volts. The 50 amp is two legs of 120 but it is not 100 amps. The loads will need to be devided into the 2 legs of 50 amp power. This is like your stove or dryer circuit. So the work will be to split the loads evenly and the equipment that may be needed in your rv to do this. If the loads are not done correctly an imballance will be put on the system feeding the trailer and you can cause the rv site issues.
Mountaintrails - really needed the reminder - THANK YOU - I think we were so excited about our first trip out we did not slow down enough to think about the dangers and limitations of the electrical system in the RV - this was a very good lesson learned for our first night out - any other tips and guidance greatly appreciated.

Many Winnebagos aren't all that expensive to upgrade power because they already have a 50A-capable load center. On a few the upgrade is simply a matter of changing the shore power cord. That is sometimes the case if the model was available with 50A power as an option. I don't know about the 2020 Intent, though.

A quick look at the Intent wiring diagrams, it looks as though a new load center (breaker box) would be needed, and maybe the ATS too. Plus the shore cord. That's a fair amount of labor and parts, so expensive at dealer shop rates.

I also see that Winnebago has some power sharing components in there, which probably explains how you were able to run as much stuff as you did on a mere 30A. There is some sort of specialty circuit for the rear a/c and also the microwave. Maybe your owner manual explains something about that.

Intent Wiring Diagrams
Thank you Gary! we have the dealer preparing an upgrade quote - they did warn us it could be pricey - do you think it is wise to look for an RV repair center that might do the work for less $$? As you can imagine we are very nervous given we are 1st timers and want to be sure if we do upgrade it is done correctly. Appreciate you taking the time to research :)

There is a way to get a "poor man's" 50 amp service. Normally 50 amps is two 50 amp feeds bundled in a single plug and cable, giving you a maximum of 100 amps of 120 volt power. Currently you have 30 amps of 120 volt power. To use both 50 amp feeds means the $2500 upgrade the dealer told you about, including upgrading your power panel to one that can use both feeds.

But you could upgrade to a single 50 amp feed (half of the normal dual 50 amps) without changing out your existing power panel. Replace the power cord and plug and upgrade the main breaker to a single 50 amp breaker. Connect one hot lead, neutral and ground to the power panel leaving the second hot line in the power cord capped and disconnected.
Thanks Lou - I think for now we'll leave electrical to the professionals - sounds like you have some knowledge on the topic - we on the other hand have limited knowledge in this area (so much to learn!) I had read some other information as well as folks coming up with work arounds for power issues - probably the most helpful was related to being aware of how much draw each appliance has on the power - mindful power management :)

Mike and Chris,
I have done this change both ways.... That quote was not out in the weeds at dealership prices.
It is basically a full days labor and about 200$ in parts not including the new 50 amp cable. That cable can be between 100 and 400$ depending on length and quality.
A lot depends on what panel you have now and if a 50amp(two line) is available that is similar.
If you try to upgrade to existing panel to a 50amp single line, there can be problems that are dangerous.
Best if you talk to a real electrician or at least a knowledgeable person before you spend money.
Matt
Thank you Matt! gives us so much peace of mind to have some of this validated by folks that have actually been through this. Were you happy that you upgraded to 50amp when you did that? Did it give you the ability to live utilize more appliances at one time?

I don't know the wiring layout of your coach, but $2,500 seems to be in the right general ballpark, I would guess higher to have a professional shop do it given $120-$150 per hour labor rates, plus the parts that would need to be changed out. If your coach was offered with a 50 amp upgrade option from the factory it might not be too bad as then there is likely a correctly size / shape 50 amp panel that will drop in in place of your 30 amp, then add on 50 amp wiring to the panel, moving all the breakers over, plus a 50 amp transfer switch and 50 amp power cord. Though again layout and current wiring setup is going to go a long way in determining how difficult of upgrade this will be.
thank you Isaac! yes I can imagine it is a rather big job - appreciate your validation :)

If the goal is to run 2 A/Cs, intercept the wiring from one A/C, and add an outlet and a plug on a pigtail. Then, at the park, use an extension cord to plug the A/C into a 20 Amp outlet. Easy and inexpensive and safe. I did this on our Suncruiser and used it many times.
you know I read that some where and told my husband about that option - I wonder though if this modification would void the warranty on the AC - I'll have to check that. It seems like a simple - logical way to handle it without breaking the bank.

Thank you Gary! we have the dealer preparing an upgrade quote - they did warn us it could be pricey - do you think it is wise to look for an RV repair center that might do the work for less $$?
Most shops that have "RV" in their name are going to charge high parts and labor rates, but I'd definitely try to get multiple quotes if I could. Some mobile RV techs could do it, for example.

I wish I could say with confidence that an RV dealer shop would have better skills for this sort of thing, but I'm afraid that is very much a chancy thing. It often depends on who gets assigned to do your job, and whether he is given adequate time to do it.

Consider using a soft start on the AC units, this will even out the start and run amps so you have less amps draw at start

Consider using a soft start on the AC units, this will even out the start and run amps so you have less amps draw at start
Welcome to the forum.
The original poster hasn’t been back for almost a year. I wish they had given us a final reply as to what course of action they took.

Me too
I’m thinking of it - as my new AC keeps tripping breaker and RV repair guy put soft start and new breaker to no avail

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom