Convection microwave replacement - arggggh.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougie Brown

Our (discontinued) over-the-range Sharp R-1850A plastic control panel surround was shaken loose en route down from Alaska, and being brittle and old, smashed. I've attempted repairs but it's impossible, and without it, the key panel dangles on its wires and the two plastic control buttons are missing. It seems the insurers are amenable to replacing it and we're awaiting the adjusters visit, so meantime I've been researching a suitable replacement - and getting nowhere.

I don't care what make/model/power/cubic capacity the new one has, just so long as it's black and will fit in the hole. I'm also "happy" to fit it myself although would prefer to have it installed professionally in the circumstances. Dimensions are 29.94"W x 16.34"H x 15.28"D. Can I find something that's either in stock or still available? Nope.

The alternative is to find & fit a used panel which I'd also be "happy" to do although the risk is that it may be as brittle as the last one. Can't find one of those for love nor money either. (Part #FPNLCB153MRKO)

We'll be starting to sell the coach from around 20th August after our cruise so need to get it fixed ASAP.  Any suggestions (or anyone have a unit they might not wanting which would fit)?

Here's the panel. I only need the plastic surround but wouldn't matter if I get one with a new keypad control unit.

Dougie.

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 128
John Canfield said:
Have you checked eBay? There's some obscure parts for sale there.
First place I went to John. Nada.

darsben said:
Will this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Sharp-R1874T-Convection-Microwave-Stainless/dp/B00009V3X6

It is not black

Yes, thank you. ? In fact I had just come across this model on another forum. It fits the hole plus two guys had replaced their 1850 models with them. Cheap enough to keep the adjuster happy too hopefully!

Thanks a million.

Dougie.

PS The color?s fine. ?

A samsung over the stove microwave is 29.875 inches wide.  The convection microwave is 29 7/8.  We replaced our microwave with the convection model and we love it.  The critical measurement for us was the width.  If it suck our a little more or was a little taller did not matter.

johnaye said:
A samsung over the stove microwave is 29.875 inches wide.  The convection microwave is 29 7/8.  We replaced our microwave with the convection model and we love it.  The critical measurement for us was the width.  If it suck our a little more or was a little taller did not matter.

Thanks John. The metric and imperial measurements work out almost exactly so I'm reasonably confident it'll go in width-ways. As you say, the depth and height aren't crucial although the R-1874T appears to be pretty much exactly the same as the old R-1850 (also a convection model).  The loss adjuster is coming next week and it all sounds positive. I've already said I'm happy to fit it myself to save time and money, so hopefully we'll get sorted soon.

Dougie.

Duh? 7/8 is exactly .875 when converted from fraction to decimal. What am I missing?

UPDATE
The insurance adjuster came and was professional, very amenable and agreed the claim. He in fact authorized the payment there and then after discussing and agreeing the suitable replacement oven with me. I collected the check the following day from their office nearby. Talk about service!! (Progressive)

I ordered the replacement (Sharp 1874T) from Amazon ($100 cheaper than Lowes) and it arrived at the campground during our cruise which ended today. I got it fitted in about 90 minutes on my own after some messing about with a bracket holding one of the two long 45? bolts which was a total PITA. Heavy old thing but doable. Very pleased with the new one! 18 years' worth of technological advances means Mrs Dougie is one happy lady. 8)

Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.

Dougie.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 88
Looks good Dougie!  :))

When our Advantium broke I had to get some help to place the new one in position - had to lean way over the counter (and it was in a corner.) Very difficult access.

darsben said:
Nice!
I looked at my clock just now and I think your time is off by a minute or 2 could you fix that please ;)

Yessir. Right away sir.  ???

Thanks for replacing! 

For the forum at large, Dougie has sold the coach, Jolene and I bought it, and he delivered right to Yellowstone.  Of course, for the time being we have to coaches!

PancakeBill said:
Thanks for replacing! 

For the forum at large, Dougie has sold the coach, Jolene and I bought it, and he delivered right to Yellowstone.  Of course, for the time being we have to coaches!

Dang!!! We left that new convection microwave in the RV!!! ??

And, if you want a nice Winnebago with a new Mocro/Conv as installed by Dougie, we are now selling it, as we bought Betty & Terry Brewers Country Coach, the 'Queen'. 

Thanks John, and since Winnebago bought out the remnants of Country Coach, we still have a bunch in common, and since I still own the Winnebago...

Ahhh, the Winnebago once again has a black micro/conv.  Since the one Dougie installed was new last summer and the one in the CC was an original, still works fine, but since I own both, todays afternoon project was to swap them.  I removed both and installed one, I'll reinstall in the Winnie this week, but heaving these things around is quite a feat for an old guy.

WILDEBILL308 said:
Bill, you are just the RV buying guy. Are you going to have your own show on flipping RVs?
Bill

It will be on HGTV next week ;D

Back
Top Bottom