Convection Ovens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Barb,

That's what I was wondering.  I just double checked my Sharp Microwave/Convection book and it says to bake pies and pie crust on the rack.  I was wondering if when you put it directly on the turn table it doesn't circulate as well resulting in your bubbling. 

I bake and cook on the racks....heat up stuff like left overs and hot water for tea on the turntable.

Marsha~ 

???
My husband and I are new to this forum and I have a question about our convection oven.
Its the Sharp microwave R 1870
When I go to broil a steak it always goes to pre-heat and it never goes off of pre-heat. I have waited at least 15-20 mintues and it still stays on pre-heat.
Can anyone tell me long pre-heat takes? It doesn't seem right to have to wait that long. I don't find anything in my books that tells how long its suppose to take.  I have baked in it and cooked a roast and that works fine so I'm not sure if theres anything wrong with it
Thanks Ginger

Marsha/CA said:
Hi Barb,

That's what I was wondering.  I just double checked my Sharp Microwave/Convection book and it says to bake pies and pie crust on the rack.  I was wondering if when you put it directly on the turn table it doesn't circulate as well resulting in your bubbling. 

Circulate air: YES

Result in Bubbling: ?????

Cream pies work best with the cracker or cookie crumb crust,  Fruit Pies with the Pastry crust.  At least that's how I make 'em.

Ginger,
Look HERE on page 18. While they don't specifically say so, when you hit 'Broil', the temperature is automatically set to 450 (the highest), and 'Preheat' is displayed. You enter the cooking time, and I assume it will shut off after that. Try it in an empty oven set for 5-10 minutes and see if it doesn't work that way.

Ginger,

You can also hit the "convection" button and it will tell you at what temp the oven is at at that particular moment.  Sometimes when I'm preheating, I'll hit the button to see just how close the oven is to the temp I want.  I bet if you hit it, you can see if you are at the broil temp of 450.

Marsha~

I have used the compu broil which will take you to where it ask you for the weight of the steaks and then it starts to preheat but it keeps going until I just have to give up. Which has been up to twenty minutes or maybe more. I also have just used the regular broil which tells you the setting will be 450 but it goes to the preheat and just keeps going. I have even put the steaks in to see if they would broil because the oven feels so hot but they just seem like  they are baking. I will try and hit the button to see what the temp is at least that might tell me how long its taking to reach the 450 and maybe I can see the amount of time its taking then I can tell the service dept to get it fixed.
Thank you for getting back to me so soon.
I really don't like baked steaks Ha!

Marsha,

I have a  GE Advantium.  It does not have a rack.  Usually I make my crust from stratch.  I had no intentions of baking any pies on the road so I left all my equitment at home.  I gonna bake a pie for a friend, so I thought I'm make a few test runs with crusts, cause I'm messing with stuff I've never used.  But I got it.

Seems to me that when you make something for yourself, or someone else, you should make it how they like it.  Not how someone else does it, or make it how someone thinks you should.

I'm grateful for the help I received,  I got my mission done.  And it's gonna make one lady very happy.

Barb

Glad you have accomplished your mission.  Now to saty in practice make pies more often.  I am sure Frank wouldn't complain. ;D ;D

We bought our 2011 Thor Astoria last year and got very few manuals.

I've went online to get one but it doesn't answer my question. We have never used it because we don't use microwaves for anything.

I was recently told that you can use the convection part without the microwaves. So for the past year, we have gone without an oven Best Microwave Convection Oven Combo (cookies, cakes and pies).

So, does anybody know if I (Sweetie Pie) can we use the convection part without getting any microwaves on my food? It's a Whirlpool and after trying to get info from them for the past hour, I will never buy a Whirlpool product.

Thanks Guys.

Last edited:
So, does anybody know if I (Sweetie Pie) can we use the convection part without getting any microwaves on my food? It's a Whirlpool and after trying to get info from them for the past hour, I will never buy a Whirlpool product.

Thanks Guys.

Every Microwave/Convection oven I've ever seen the answer is YES you can. You can use heat (Convection) MIcrowaves. or both.

And why are you afraid of microwaves? They do not "Stick around" you get more radiation from the wi-fi module in your computer than from your microwave oven if the door seals are good..

I'll second John's remarks on the microwaves - they're just radio waves, exactly like AM radio, FM radio, TV, etc, except that they are a higher frequency (just as FM is higher freq than AM). And they are well contained within the oven. And, within the oven, all they do is vibrate the molecules of the water in the food, kind of like if you rub your arm hard it heats up a bit. Lower freq radio waves do that too, but not nearly fast enough to detect any heat.

While the above is somewhat simplified, it should help your understanding a bit.

It's a Whirlpool and after trying to get info from them for the past hour, I will never buy a Whirlpool product.
These days more and more companies in EVERY field are getting to be that way.

The microwave/convection ovens I have seen (certainly not an exhaustive list) all have at least 3 modes - convection only, microwave only, and combo microwave/convection. I use the convection only on lots of things, particularly baked goods.

Edit after I realized I replied to a post from 2008! J Scott, you would be better off making a new post for questions rather than adding to a very old post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom