Converter change out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pattwest

Hi all, swapping a Magnetek 940 for a Boondoocker 1265 cl and have some questions. The guy I bought it from said to just unhook wires from old and rehook to new. So the wires coming from old are red and white and the new hook ups are red and black. Im assuming the red to red and the white to black. There is an Intellitec battery disconnect right next to converter. I’m assuming I need to rewire that to converter also? Thank you for any help.

Your assumption is LIKELY (No guarantee) correct
Your voltmeter is your friend. use it. to make sure it's correct.
I'd put the red lead on the read and the black on the "other" lead and see if it indicates positive voltage both on the RV side and the Converter side before connecting.

Just spent part of the day putting new ends on Cat 5... Getting better at it.

Its a good guess, but I too would put a voltage meter on it to be sure, there are lots of overlapping color codes used in wiring in RV's. Depending on where you look Red can be positive (DC) or Hot (AC), Black can be Negative, or Positive (DC) or Hot (AC), White can be Negative (DC) or Neutral (AC), and this just assumes someone was going by common color wiring schemes.

The likely issue here is that traditionally trailers were wired white ground, black positive. By contrast motor vehicles are black ground, and red positive.

First, let's be clear about which wires you are talking about. Any converter has two wires coming in to supply 120v power and those will be black (hot) & white (neutral, plus a green or bare ground wire. Then two more wires for the 12v output of the converter to either battery or 12v distribution panel. Those can be any color at all, but white, black or red are common. There is no universal standard for 12v wire colors - in my coach the 12v + was white and 12v - (ground) was black.

So, which one of those two sets of wires are you guessing at? And where was that Intelletec wired in before? Did you take pictures before disconnecting anything?

Year, make & model of your RV would also help - somebody here may know how that brand was wired.

Last edited:
First, let's be clear about which wires you are talking about. Any converter has two wires coming in to supply 120v power and those will be black (hot) & white (neutral, plus a green or bare ground wire. Then two more wires for the 12v output of the converter to either battery or 12v distribution panel. Those can be any color at all, but white, black or red are common. There is no universal standard for 12v wire colors - in my coach the 12v + was white and 12v - (ground) was black.

So, which one of those two sets of wires are you guessing at? And where was that Intelletec wired in before? Did you take pictures before disconnecting anything?

Year, make & model of your RV would also help - somebody here may know how that brand was wired.
1998 Coachman Catalina Class C. Yes on the pictures.

So please don't keep us in suspense! Be specific about the input and output wires and show us the photos.

To the best of my knowledge, the 1265CL doesn't come pre-wired, i.e. it has input and outlet terminals that you connect your own wires to. You should have existing black & white 120v input wires and existing wires that go out to the batteries. Plug the wire that goes to the battery negative post to the negative terminal on the Boondocker. And positive battery post to the positive terminal.

Here it is installed. The red connected to the red and the white connected to the black. We wired the smaller wire I was talking about right back like it was to the old one. Working like a charm. 5B84DB51-A375-4ED3-967B-351E81CD8AF0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom