Converter hums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvwanderer1

My power converter , 110 to 12v,  has decided to start humming. It's under the bed, I thought someone was running a generator. It always made a noise. Wife says it sounds the same to her. Should it hum at all?

A cooling fan will turn on and off depending on load or temperature.  If the battery is run down or faulty, the load will be higher.  If the fan is making unusual noise, replace it with a better quality fan.  If the noise is coming from the circuit board you might want to replace the whole thing with a better quality unit.

Unless it is 20+ years old, the only thing that should hum is the cooling fan, which probably cycles on/off under thermostat control.  Fans can get noisier if dust accumulates or something blocks the air flow in/out.

Arch Hoagland said:
Only if it forgot the words.

Dog gone it. You beat me to it :) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

THere are basically two (times a bunch) convertes. Transformer based (Big heavy iron core thing that hums like a swarm of bees when it gets old) and Switching.

Most modern units are switching. smaller. Lighter. Less heat. Better voltage regulation and long list of other advantages.

UPGRADE is possible

IF the converter is a box by itself. Progressive Dynamics 9200 (More on the 00 later)
If it's part of your power distribution (Fuse/Breaker) box.. 4600

THe 00 part. Your unit likely has a model number in the XX-YY format Like say 6330 or 3345

Try to match the last 2 digits as close as you can. That's the max output current.

I shut everything off , Turned off the master switch, unplugged shore power.  Waited about 2 minutes, switched everything back on. There was a mild hum , the air clicked on and everything returned to normal.  Have no idea why all this happened but all is working fine now....

rvwanderer1 said:
I shut everything off , Turned off the master switch, unplugged shore power.  Waited about 2 minutes, switched everything back on. There was a mild hum , the air clicked on and everything returned to normal.  Have no idea why all this happened but all is working fine now....

Hey I'm telling ya...it's like us old people and we forget every now and then. Sit down and it all comes back so you don't have to hum any more.

rvwanderer1 said:
Glad to hear, Anymore, a full shutdown / disconnect is always my first course of action with anything electrical.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom