Converters Chargers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deppong

Can anyone tell me if in general the converters or Chargers in RV's are what they call Smart Chargers. Do you need to periodically disconnect as not to damage the Depp Cycle Battery. Smart Chargers can be kept plugged in and sence how much a battery needs thereby not Damaging the battery. And Feed back will be appreciated Thanks! ???

Some do and some don't. Depends on the model # of the charger/converter.

As Bruce said, it depends on the make and model of charger. Even with a so-called multi-stage smart charger that goes into a float mode, I've found that I have to top up with water much less often if I turn off the battery isolator switch when I'm plugged in but not on board.

Deppong,
If the converter charger is more than a couple years old, it very likely is NOT a "smart" charger.  However, even then it probably won't damage your batterytoo much  if you keep it topped up with water. Still, it is advisable with older makes and models to put the charger on a timer while in storage, so that the charger runs only a couple hours a day.

Let us know what year and type of RV you have and we can probably guess what type of charger it has. Better yet, though, check the brand and model number of the charger and we won't have to guess.

Back
Top Bottom