converting 30amp to 50amp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 30amp service in my 1997 Holiday Rambler 32' RV. The RV has front and rear A/C units. Both with only a 30 cord coming out of my RV I can olny run one A/C at a time. I can run both A/C's at once when the generator is on. But not when I'm plugged in.

So can I conncet my 30amp plug to a 50amp adapter and run both A/C's?

MartinFamilyTour said:
I have 30amp service in my 1997 Holiday Rambler 32' RV. The RV has front and rear A/C units. Both with only a 30 cord coming out of my RV I can olny run one A/C at a time. I can run both A/C's at once when the generator is on. But not when I'm plugged in.

So can I conncet my 30amp plug to a 50amp adapter and run both A/C's?

Short answer is NO. Worse your power cord, which is rated to carry 30 amps, is not protected by the Pedestal circuit breaker. But that probably is not an issue because our RV's main panel has a 30 AMP MAIN breaker.

Modifying a 30 amp RV to 50 AMP is doable, but only if you have very good understanding of what you are doing. I outlined the job on my bosses coach but it was fairly complicated because in addition to the standard 30 transfer switch (between shore and generator power) it had a second transfer switch in the power management system for the rear AC.

ken

MartinFamilyTour said:
So can I connect my 30amp plug to a 50amp adapter and run both A/C's?
It depends on why you can't run both A/Cs at the same time. If the 30 amp main breaker in your RV is the one that trips when you try and run both A/Cs then the answer is no, it will trip no matter how many amps you are plugged into. If the breaker that trips is the shore power breaker then it will probably work with the adapter MartinFamilyTour linked to.

Since the gen will run both it sounds like it is the shore power breaker that is the problem. Two A/Cs should run on 30 amps. But then you will not have a lot of power left over for other things. Some people get around this problem by wiring one of the A/Cs to it's own 20 amp circuit and plugging that circuit into a seperate 20 amp outlet.

I am certainly not an electrician, but from what I have read, the answer to your question is "no". I think the reason is that when you are on shore power, there is only a single line powered to the a/c's, with a switch that transfers power to one or the other, but not both. When you are on genset power, there is a line directly to one a/c from the genset, plus you have the other line that would ordinarily be plugged into shore power now also plugged into the genset, thus powering both circuits. I know this is very simplistic, but this is how I understand it. (And it may not even be accurate, I really don't know) I also believe that the converter you showed the link to is used so that you can plug your 30 amp plug into a 50 amp terminal, if that is all that is available. It does not make your 30 amp service into 50 amp service. I hope a real electrician out there can explain it better. :-\

knugent - Not all RVs are wired the same. Some 30 amp RVs with two A/Cs have them like you have described, but some are wired so that both can run on either shore or the gen. But you are correct, you can't turn your 30 amp service into a 50 amp service with just an adaptor.

As Tom stated above, not all rv's are wired the same. On my Journey, 50 amp was an option that was not selected. All electrical equipment was rated at 50 amp but had 30 amp breakers and power cord. Only cost me about $200 to convert to 50amp but I am an electrician and did all the work myself in one afternoon.
A study of your equipment would determine if changeover is possible. I would be available for any advise / assistance I can provide.

Back
Top Bottom