Converting Honda generator to propane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Huge mistake. Besides cost propane generators consumers huge amounts of gas per hour. Gasoline is often times much easier to find places your likely going to use a generator.

My genny isn't a Honda, but - yes - I did the conversion. I'm really happy with it. It runs off the two 30 lb tanks that I already had on the tongue of my trailer, I plumbed into the regulated line for my appliances. I don't have to carry gasoline or refill a gas tank. It also won't foul up if not used for long periods of time the way gasoline left in a carb will and the carburetor now has no moving parts.

Disadvantages were cost of the kit and plumbing, time spent and now the genny isn't useful away from the trailer. It also produces less power(wattage) on propane. I only run my genny for a couple of hours every second or third day to charge batteries so price of fuel isn't noticeable to me, if you run it all the time to keep AirCon on like in the south that may be factor.

HTH

I bought a dual fuel inverter so I would not need to haul gasoline but, if the need was there I could. I have not used gas yet so the carb is still like new.

I bought a propane kit for my little Honda Eu-1000i a couple of years ago, but have yet to install it.

Do you post every question on multiple RV forums? I am seeing the same question everywhere, many of the same questions repeated on the same day. I am guessing it is you. Just pick a forum and post once.
These question you post are so basic and so simplistic.
Any search engine on the internet and a few seconds of browsing through options will reveal article after article after article of information written by experts who have tested and can give you much better advice than a group of forum readers ever will.
There are some odd RV things that are just hard to understand and figure out and impossible to find on the internet. The forum is great for this. Asking about something as common and well talked about as a propane conversion on a small gas engine is not.
Your generator is a small gas engine that it is attached to a generator head is not special. The engine is the same as lawnmowers or tillers or pumps or anything that uses a small engine. You are asking about a propane conversion on a small engine carburetor. It is a well covered topic.

There are some odd RV things that are just hard to understand and figure out and impossible to find on the internet. The forum is great for this. Asking about something as common and well talked about as a propane conversion on a small gas engine is not.
The topic is just fine here. I have yet to see the owners/administrators of this forum ban a topic for being too simple. For example, in response to a person posting an introduction, Rene said, in part:
If you have any questions, feel free to ask any no matter how minor it may seem to you. There are no dumb questions. If you don’t know the answer it’s not dumb to ask.
Tom, Jackie and other staff use similar phrases. Of course you don't need to read these "too simple" questions, but they'll get answers when we can. Not everyone is as "sophisticated" and knowledgeable as you are.

No, this guy is posting the same, simple question on multiple forums and posting multiple topics of the same question on multiple forums.
Propane conversions are a fine topic, but it is so simple that there really is no need to post to multiple RV forums.

LOL. :). This is becoming such a friendly forum.

Anyway. Haven’t done a conversion but prefer our champion dual fuel to our former gas genny. Fuel storage in our situation is easier and safer but that is just our situation. No worries of carb issues. It doesn’t get a lot of use so propane is just easier for us. It might have been our old genny but propane operation seems to be less stinky. Our champion has never had gas in it.

Most of the year it is just for house backup and only gets run for about 20 minutes once every 4 or 6 weeks. I’m not comfortable with storing gas at the townhouse so propane works. We use our Tesla as a variable load to exercise it. 12 amp for awhile, up to 24 amp for a bit and then back to 8 amps.

Summer it gets some camping use.

Different strokes blah blah blah but propane works better for us.

Attachments

• 05112D72-9037-4DE7-9754-9F4090AD3FA3.jpeg
    05112D72-9037-4DE7-9754-9F4090AD3FA3.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 3
No, this guy is posting the same, simple question on multiple forums and posting multiple topics of the same question on multiple forums.
Propane conversions are a fine topic, but it is so simple that there really is no need to post to multiple RV forums.

No harm in posting the same reply twice then....

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed....

Just looking for feedback from people that already did it.
And yes, I searched first. Didn't find what what I wanted.

Appropriateness of the topic aside, I recently converted my "EARLY" Honda EU2000i to dual fuel successfully. I say successfully as most of the kits out there call out the early models as not supported, so when I found this and it worked I was super psyched. Had I not found this kit I likely would have bought a Champion dual fuel.

It's from a new/small company called Grenergy. And even here at 5000' elevation required no adjustment. Needless to say, I'm quite happy.

I wrote it up on my site if you want to dig into it more.

-Kyle Petree

Appropriateness of the topic aside, I recently converted my "EARLY" Honda EU2000i to dual fuel successfully. I say successfully as most of the kits out there call out the early models as not supported, so when I found this and it worked I was super psyched. Had I not found this kit I likely would have bought a Champion dual fuel.

It's from a new/small company called Grenergy. And even here at 5000' elevation required no adjustment. Needless to say, I'm quite happy.

-Kyle Petree
Good to hear. Thanks for the info.

-Kyle Petree
I went to your website and read thru the LP conversion on the Honda. I have a built in Onan 2500LP that appears to have a large Demand regulator inside the housing, and I have wondered about this. Your installation cleared up some questions about having another regulator in the system. Mine is supplied from a common Marshall Excelsior auto changeover two stage regulator commonly used on travel trailers, and supplies a 4 ft or so 3/8 flex hose and then transitions to 3/8 soft copper tubing and flare fittings. It seems to run fine and carry loads well.

I will keep Grenergy in mind if I ever have need to or recommend conversion of a Honda to LP.

Charles

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom