Converting to heat pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Relee52

I'm looking for information from anyone who has converted their AC to a heat pump. I have a Dometic 1500btu unit in our rig, and it works ok, but I'm interested in a unit that would both heat and cool. Anyone done this? If so, results?
TIA

If it's a ducted a/c, replacing the roof unit is pretty much plug & play.

The thermostat may be a problem if the RV does not already have wiring to the roof unit for heat controls. You may need to run a new control cable (has more wires for heat & chill modes). Your present thermostat may have no heat control at all, or may be wired direct to the LP furnace for heating mode.

Relee52, Certainly no insult intended here, but you are aware that a heat pump does little to nothing below about about 35 F. Though many folks use them and are very happy.

Thanks to all, our unit is ducted for AC in the ceiling and furnace in the floor. The thermostat is digital and wired to both, but like you point out likely to the AC AND propane furnace separately. I did know about the temp issue, but our plan is to stay in warmer climes so only taking the edge off in the AM. It's not a huge issue or an immediate conversion planned, just curiosity led to the post. We currently use our little fireplace and it does the trick for now.

If your RV has multiple cooling zones (separate zone for each a/c), you may already have suitable wiring to the zone controller. Sometimes the RV makers use the same wire bundle to the zone control for a/c only and heat pump. It's worth checking out when you have some spare time.

I'm looking for information from anyone who has converted their AC to a heat pump. I have a Dometic 1500btu unit in our rig, and it works ok, but I'm interested in a unit that would both heat and cool. Anyone done this? If so, results?
TIA
You ever convert? I have a cometic that has the option for heat pump and trying to find someone to do it and the cost?

my 2007 Winnebago View had a Coleman heat pump from the factory. It was wired so that the thermostat controlled it and the furnace. If you selected more than a 2 degree differential from the room temp, the furnace came on in addition to the heat pump, so I was always careful to creep the temp up in stages. I used it a couple of times when staying at Ft Pickens in December. Needed heat and it was better than burning gas.

As Gary noted, you might not have a thermostat wire cable with enough conductors and have to pull new wires. Beyond that, its 4 bolts to remove the existing unit, and 4 bolts to install the new unit, hook up wires and install the air intake/filter and thats it.

I prefer to cover the roof with moving quilts (Harbor Freight) then quarter inch plywood to prevent any damage to the room membrane or whatever surface it is. The units are heavy, like a good sized window A/C. You need a scissor lift, forklift, scaffold, or overhead hoist and proper sling. If you are strong, and foolish enough, it could be walked up a ladder with help, but I would never consider trying that.

You ever convert? I have a cometic that has the option for heat pump and trying to find someone to do it and the cost?

The "conversion" is the cost of a new unit, and the cost of changing it out with the old one. You might get a few bucks selling the old one.

I just replaced the 27 year old Trane 1200 3 ton in my house with a Bosch 4 ton 18 SEER and Bosch air handler, all inverter driven variable speed compressor and fan. So quiet you cannot hear if even when standing next to it. Will pay for itself in about 5-7 years in electric savings.

Charles

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom