cooked batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikenannie

I had two Trojan wet cell batteries that are 6 volt and one of them cooked dry and the case expanded, like a balloon. I replaced both batteries with 6 volt deep cycle sealed batteries from Trojan. The first night I was plugged in  to shore power one of those batteries ballooned out and I could smell the acid. I disconnected and took the coach to the dealer to check it out.

After talking to xantrex and doing all the tests that they needed done, nothing was found wrong with there unit. It should have cut off either for overcharge or over heat, but did not.  Anybody have any ideas?  Mike

Mike

What is your inverter model & size?? Do you have a control panel like a Link 1000/2000 that allows you to read the voltages in the bulk/absorption/float modes? Does your inverter have a battery temp probe?? Could you inadvertently put your charger in equalize mode?? Did they connect the batteries correctly in series/parallel?

It sounds like your batteries are being severely over charged but without a gauge to monitor the charging cycle you will have to sit by the batteries  & measure them with a volt/ohm meter.

woodartist said:
Was it the same battery each time? The batteries are connected in series? The output of your charger/converter is 12V?

second battery in series both times. xantrex system checked out ok. They are now replacing the wiring from charger to batteries and between batteries.

Terry A. Brewer said:
Mike

What is your inverter model & size?? Do you have a control panel like a Link 1000/2000 that allows you to read the voltages in the bulk/absorption/float modes? Does your inverter have a battery temp probe?? Could you inadvertently put your charger in equalize mode?? Did they connect the batteries correctly in series/parallel?

It sounds like your batteries are being severely over charged but without a gauge to monitor the charging cycle you will have to sit by the batteries? & measure them with a volt/ohm meter.

Terry  the rv is at the shop, so I don't know the model. it does not have a readout on the panel. the inverter has an over charge and over heat shut down. I have meters to check, but that is what they are doing now.

Mike

>>I have meters to check, but that is what they are doing now.<<

When you get it back I would check it out myself even if I had to sit all day with a VOM & watch it cycle through out its 3 stage charging cycle....Preferably I would have a meter in the coach that would allow me to monitor it from my easy chair.<G>

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom