Cooking Biscuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamnw

I haven't found any info on this in the library.

I love "Grands Biscuits". My oven burns the bottom every time. I've tried setting the pan on top of another pan but that didn't work either.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Jamie

Jamnw said:
I love "Grands Biscuits". My oven burns the bottom every time. I've tried setting the pan on top of another pan but that didn't work either.Any ideas or suggestions?Jamie
Jaime,
I use my  Pampered Chef pizza stone as a cookie sheet.  It saves the bottoms.
Betty Brewer

I guess that answers the question about whether the PC pizza stone goes in the motorhome or in the yard sale pile.

Thank for the advise!
Which size stone do you have? Do you use the "rack" also?

Thanks alot.

Jamie

Jamnw said:
Which size stone do you have? Do you use the "rack" also?

Jamie,
My stone is a 13 inch.? Pampered Chef makes them in? 15, 13 and 10 inch diameters.? I do not use the rack? it came with inside the oven as it? prohibits my turntable from spinning. (I have the micro/convection combination)

I have also heard of people using a Pyrex pie pan inverted on their? propane oven shelf and then place their cookie? sheet over it to help with the bottom issues.
Betty

Our oven did that on a past RV and I purchased a large unglazed floor tile and place it on the bottom of the oven.  ?"Never burned any thing again.  Each time we get a different RV  we buy a new Tile.;  Try it it works.

Shayne said:
Our oven did that on a past RV and I purchased a large unglazed floor tile and place it on the bottom of the oven.? ??"Never burned any thing again.? Each time we get a different RV? we buy a new Tile.;? Try it it works.

Shayne,
Thanks for the reminder.? I have heard that about the tile iin the bottom in many of the cooking classes I have attended.
Betty

Betty Brewer said:
... the tile iin the bottom in many of the cooking classes I have attended.

Would the Pampered Chef pizza stone work the same if you stuck it on the bottom of the oven?? Seems like a good place to store it and if you didn't have to take it out when you turned on the oven to bake biscuits.........

wendycoke said:
Would the Pampered Chef pizza stone work the same if you stuck it on the bottom of the oven?? Seems like a good place to store it and if you didn't have to take it out when you turned on the oven to bake biscuits.........

Somehow I recall they neeed air under them?  Maybe their website will give you more info.

Betty

Hmmm, says "Do not use under broiler" which I guess would mean not leaving it on the bottom of the oven since that would put it directly under the flame.

Thanks for all the great advise!

An unglazed floor tile huh.
That's interesting. I wonder how that works....?

Jamnw said:
An unglazed floor tile huh.
That's interesting. I wonder how that works....?

I think it has something to do with heat distribution but I'm not an expert.

BB

The tile acts as a baking stone - capturing heat and releasing it slowly and evenly. It also pulls moisture from the outside of the cookie/biscuit dough, allowing it to crisp.

Right on Tom  Thats the same explaination I recieved.  All I know is it does work.  I used a Glazed one 1st and it cracked but still worked.  Surprised the heck out of me years ago when I 1st heard of it.  After listening to the Boss complain for so long I bought a tile and tried it.  Even tho I forgot it was supposed to be unglazed. 

Thanks Shayne. It's essentially the same principle as a "maen", a circular cast iron baking 'stone' used over a gas flame. Also used for baking Welsh cakes

Does that mean we will have Welsh Cakes at the Q this Jan?????  Hope hope hope./

Shayne said:
Does that mean we will have Welsh Cakes at the Q this Jan?????

We sure would Shayne - if we were coming to QZ. But we won't be back, for various reasons. Too bad, because they'd also cook over the open fire. Maybe at Moab.

Back
Top Bottom