Cooling/heating the front bedroom of a 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom ...

I should add that the RV was parked completely in the sun during that extremely hot period. A couple of weeks later, we were in the shade at Cooperstown, New York and, even though the temps were in the high 80s, we never turned the a/c on at all. Just opened the windows and used the Fantastic Fan to circulate the air.

B

Bill

sounds like I should specify additional/better insulation if I order a new coach.

Tom said:
Bill

sounds like I should specify additional/better insulation if I order a new coach.

Tom,

One of the advantages a 5th wheel has is no large windshield, though some have good sized windows in the living area. That should help a little in keeping the heat down but won't solve the problem completely. I don't think I've ever seen a 5th wheel at our dealership that had two A/Cs but we don't carry the big ones. :)

Adding additional/better insulation might prove difficult except around the front cap. I have found many motorhomes seem to be lacking here as quite a bit of cabling, etc, is found in that location. When  I took mine apart there was standard household insulation in that area and it isn't very adequate. I haven't added any but might do so in the future.  :)With the lack of insulation and the large windsheild it creates quite a bit of heat. That's the reason I like the external screens on the windshield. It prevents much of the heat from getting to it in the first place.

Jim, good point re no windshield in a fiver. We have good screens, but I don't always put them up if we're only staying a day/night. Interestingly, our bedroom gets hotter than the rest of the coach.

I forget we have two FFs and could open a window with the fans running. Of course, when it's 105 outside and doesn't cool down very far at night, all bets are off  ;D

Tom said:
Jim, good point re no windshield in a fiver. We have good screens, but I don't always put them up if we're only staying a day/night. Interestingly, our bedroom gets hotter than the rest of the coach.

I forget we have two FFs and could open a window with the fans running. Of course, when it's 105 outside and doesn't cool down very far at night, all bets are off  ;D

I don't usually put mine up if it's a short stay. We've been able to run the FFs for the past several nights and they are very effective. Yes, 105 makes the FFs almost useless. :)

Opened windows and turned both FFs on last night. That's when I remembered one of them doesn't work and hasn't for a long time. Must make a note to get it taken care of when we're at Monaco next week. One FF did a decent job since the outside temp here drops significantly at night.

Tom said:
Opened windows and turned both FFs on last night. That's when I remembered one of them doesn't work and hasn't for a long time. Must make a note to get it taken care of when we're at Monaco next week. One FF did a decent job since the outside temp here drops significantly at night.

Most of the time we only use one. Last night Pat wanted the air but I'm sure the FF would have worked. We are tied up at our former Yacht Club on the Chesapeake. Stopped to visit friends we haven't seen in about 4 years! May have to rejoin as an associate member since we really like it here. So much to do, so little time.

Jim Dick said:
We are tied up at our former Yacht Club on the Chesapeake.

Are you afloat?

Chris is getting a little antsy to get back to the boat. She hasn't said anything, but I can tell  ;D  We have a large on-the-water event scheduled for the holiday weekend. I got the old tub ready as best I could before we left in the coach, so hopefully we'd have minimal stuff to do when we got home before casting off lines. However, it all depends on how long we're at Monaco next week. The cutoff for signup for the event is Wednesday and latest arrival is 10.00am Saturday. I've mentally prepared Chris for us not making it in time.

I really screwed up when I set the Monaco appointment for next Monday. They originally had an opening for Friday, but I wasn't sure how long Shaun would need, so I allowed an extra day at JC. Also, I naiively thought I didn't want to be "stuck" in Harrisburg over this weekend. Turns out, we'll be hanging around the area Friday and Saturday anyway and we'll have to check into Camp Monaco Sunday.

Hi Tom,

we've found with the FF fan, that if we close all the other windows in the coach and just leave the bedroom windows open, it cools the bedroom off really well.  Tim and I don't do well sleeping in a closed up unit.  We like fresh air even if it's cold outside.

At home we freeze everyone out....(grin)

Marsha

LOL Marsha. Chris' thermostat has been haywire for a number of years (since she had her treatment in the mid 80's). When it's cold she turns on the a/c. Summertime she's likely to turn on the heat in the car.

Tom said:
LOL Marsha. Chris' thermostat has been haywire for a number of years (since she had her treatment in the mid 80's). When it's cold she turns on the a/c. Summertime she's likely to turn on the heat in the car.

(smile)? ya know, some horses have that problem.? Sometimes their thermostates are off i.e. they don't sweat properly in the summer.? One way to fix their theromastat is to put the horse in an ice cold room and drop their internal body heat.? Snaps the thermostat right back to normal.....

BTW, we are off next week on the 1st for a 6 week trip to the midwest.? We plan to go through Minn then drop down south via Indiana and head into the Ozarks for some fishing.? Think I'm gonna ask Tim to dig out the old spinning reel.

Marsha~

MarshaLassen/CA said:
(smile)? ya know, some horses have that problem.? Sometimes their thermostates are off i.e. they don't sweat properly in the summer.? One way to fix their theromastat is to put the horse in an ice cold room and drop their internal body heat.? Snaps the thermostat right back to normal.....

Are you suggesting Tom put Chris in the deep freeze ??? ??? ??? ???    Better not try that Tom. ;D ;D

MarshaLassen/CA said:
I'm gonna ask Tim to dig out the old spinning reel.

Arrgh, wash your keyboard out Marsha.

We're back in Junction City, OR and hope to head home mid next week. Depends on how long we'll be at the Monaco service center.

Ron said:
Are you suggesting Tom put Chris in the deep freeze ??? ??? ??? ???? ? ?Better not try that Tom. ;D ;D
[/quote

Nawww...just a point of interest.? (evil grin)? I just throught it was funny to put a large horse in such a situation.? Also, I know Chris well enough that there is no way Tom could pull that off..... :p]

Marsha~

Hi Tom,

Not afloat but close to it. I took two pictures but forgot to bring the card adapter to Norfolk! Will have to post later. They have three hookups for RVs. One is a marine plug but I made an adapter years ago when we still belonged. Of course, I left that in FL. :) We were the only RV so it wasn't a problem. Had dinner at the club last night and ran into some old friends. Looks like we just might rejoin so we can stop more often. It's not expensive for an associate membership. A few nights camping will cover that. :)

It's hard to make plans when you're not sure what might happen. I'm sure you can find things to do in Eugene or Salem. Portland isn't that far.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom