copilot live/laptop 9 nav sys./// camping world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jewellz

recently bought inspiron 2200 for use in my mh. looking at unit mentioned in subject column. does anyone have experience with this unit? need feed back.........any help is appreciated.............

Copilot was designed by a tucking company, and has been adapted for rv'ers. We used 7,8, and are currently using 9. After your first investment, the annual updates run about 79 - 99 bucks..  Your driving choices are auto, or rv. If you select rv, the software has low clearances and steep grades built in. It will automatically route around. And there is a short and long detour feature, for construction zones. It has a good variety of POI's, including rv parking, and rest areas. The voice feature can be set for Male or female, or can be turned off......

Like all nav programs it's not perfect. None of them are 100%. But we've been happy, and have had no real major routing problems.
Use common sense,and  review you route so you know where your going, and how your gonna get there before you leave.

Alittle extra effort keeps all safer down the road.

Barb

thanks for your help..... not sure i understand 7-8-9. are those updates or revisions?  i am assuming the investment of 250 for the software is your only expense, is that right.  thanks  again for your help....

jewellz said:
thanks for your help..... not sure i understand 7-8-9. are those updates or revisions?  i am assuming the investment of 250 for the software is your only expense, is that right.  thanks  again for your help....

Acrually, you can "trade in" and older version of SA or some other software  and get the latest version of Copilot for much less. (See the ALK website for details)

thank you for your response bruce.  i'm new, really new to most electronics, so most of the abbrev S you use are unfamiliar to me.  looking at the camping world ad it looks like you buy the laptop 9 nav system for 269 and you should be ready to go.  i haven't had a gps before, so i have no trade....... it just seems to me that this is the cheapest way to go since i have a new laptop.  hope this system isn't too complicated for a greenhorn.    johnny d

jewellz said:
thank you for your response bruce.  i'm new, really new to most electronics, so most of the abbrev S you use are unfamiliar to me.  looking at the camping world ad it looks like you buy the laptop 9 nav system for 269 and you should be ready to go.  i haven't had a gps before, so i have no trade....... it just seems to me that this is the cheapest way to go since i have a new laptop.  hope this system isn't too complicated for a greenhorn.    johnny d

That ad is confusing and maybe a little misleading. The $269 is for the Copilot Laptop 9 software and the GPS receiver. It does not include the computer. You install the software on your computer and attach the GPS receiver to the USB port. Now, there are several GPS receivers on the market for less than $100. For instance, you can buy a GPS receiver plus Microsoft Streets and Trips for $85 (see http://www.deluoelectronics.com/customer/home.php?trk=5ANN ). Streets and Trips has Canadian data already. Copilot has Canadian data but you have to pay extra to activate the Canadian database.

ALK, the parent company of Copilot, has a trade-in program which allows you to trade in an older version of Street Atlas and other software for Copilot 9 at a reduced price. Microsoft Streets & Trips is not one of the programs allowed in the trade-in, perhaps because it os so inexpensive. With the trade-in, Copilot 9 is only $99. Go to this website for more info: http://www.alk.com/switch/default.asp.

jewellz said:

That ad is confusing and maybe a little misleading. The $269 is for the Copilot Laptop 9 software and the GPS receiver. It does not include the computer. You install the software on your computer and attach the GPS receiver to the USB port. Now, there are several GPS receivers on the market for less than $100. For instance, you can buy a GPS receiver plus Microsoft Streets and Trips for $85 (see http://www.deluoelectronics.com/customer/home.php?trk=5ANN ). Streets and Trips has Canadian data already. Copilot has Canadian highway data but you have to pay extra ($49) to activate the Canadian street level database.

ALK, the parent company of Copilot, has a trade-in program which allows you to trade in an older version of Street Atlas or other software for Copilot 9 at a reduced price. Microsoft Streets & Trips is not one of the programs allowed in the trade-in, perhaps because it is so inexpensive. With the trade-in, Copilot 9 is only $99. Go to this website for more info: http://www.alk.com/switch/default.asp.

So, you can get the GPS + Streets & Trips (S&T) for $85. You can buy Street Atlas (SA) for $49.95, install it and then trade in the SA CD  and get Copilot for $99 plus $49 for Canadian data. All for about the same as the amount Camping World wants for their package and you'll have all three on your laptop to compare when you take your trip.

Hi Bruce

Despite their website stating you will receive a reply from them in 2 days, I havent received anything from my 2 emails to them.

So, I see you state the Canada upgrade is $49 - but where do I buy the upgrade key ???

I found a mention of it in the Manual, but cannot find anywhere on they website or manual to order it.

Ideas ?

Thanks
Paul

I use DeLormes Street Atlas.  Got it at Best Buy .  It runs about 49.99.  It has many of the features you mention.  I is user friendly.  So if you are new to computers, to me, it is the one to buy and the price is right.

UK-RV said:
Hi Bruce

Despite their website stating you will receive a reply from them in 2 days, I havent received anything from my 2 emails to them.

So, I see you state the Canada upgrade is $49 - but where do I buy the upgrade key ???

I found a mention of it in the Manual, but cannot find anywhere on they website or manual to order it.

Ideas ?

Thanks
Paul

I called them last year when I had the older version. This year I bought the Canadian key when I purchased Copilot 9. When you buy it, they send you an unlock code via email. I have always received prompt email responses from them.

bjohn said:
I use DeLormes Street Atlas.? Got it at Best Buy .? It runs about 49.99.? It has many of the features you mention.? I is user friendly.? So if you are new to computers, to me, it is the one to buy and the price is right.

I have used Street Atlas in the past but since they changed their interface in 2003 I no longer use it.  IMHO they took a giant leap backwards.  Streets and Trips can be purchased at Costco for around $15.00 on sale and IMHO is far superior to SA.  Much better deal IMHO.

Ron said:
Streets and Trips can be purchased at Costco for around $15.00 on sale ...

I saw the version with the GPS for under $100 there (not sure of the exact price). I almost bought it, but couldn't convince the boss lady to buy the laptop to go with it.? :)

Yes, I think the version with the GPS receiver was something like $89 or $85, although I wasn't paying too much attention. IMO that's good value if you don't already have a GPS receiver and want to do this stuff on your PC.

i want to thank you guys for all of the input. it was most helpfull and gave me lots  to mull over.  this was my first visit to "the forum" and i'm impressed with the variety of knowledge and willingness to share that knowhow.  thanks again.... se you later.

Jewell,

Have been using Street Atlas with their earthmate gps receiver for 9 years now.  Some hickups along the way, but always been happy with it in general. Have been watching various press releases and ad's for CoPilot live and when I saw the deal to trade in my Street Atlas software and acquire CoPilot Live ver. 10, I decide to give it a try. Looks very nice. I mailed my old software to them yesterday and look forward to trying it out.  $79 for the software only, $70 more for newer gps receiver, although my older earthmate would work with CoPilot..  Camping World add shows $149 for software only if you are a Presidents Club member, but anyone can pay that price direct from CoPilot web site.... plus you have 30 days for full refund if you don't like it. 

Sure you will enjoy whatever system you get.....

Tom

At Deluo you can get a USB GPS for $47 and a Bluetooth GPS for $89. For a SIRF III Bluetooth GPS you'll have to pay a little more.

Comparing Voice features with the 3 products mention above:

1) Voice Prompt (voice instruction for turn by turn instruction)
CoPilot adjust the volume and increase loudness as you increase speed.
MS Street and Trips 2007 now has Voice Prompt but dose not give the name of the road or name of the exit ramp to turn.
SA2008 (new version just released, now available with Mexico main road map) gives you detailed spoken words of the street and exit name.

2) Voice Command (using a microphone to eliminate keystroke while driving)
SA2007 and SA2008 both have over 50 voice command instruction to safely navigate without using the keyboard. For example, just talk on the mic? ?Are we there yet?? and a detail voice prompt will tell you how long it will take to the next stop or final destination without looking on the screen for info. Say ?Zoom Level 14? and the screen will change magnification. Say "What is my next turn"  and a detailed voice prompt will give more voice instruction. Sometimes the voice prompt maybe too long. Just say "Be Quite" and no one will smack you in the head.
CoPilot - ?
MS Street and Trips - ?

Back
Top Bottom