Correct sequence at CG?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
What's the correct sequence of the following for a diesel coach on arrival at a campground?

• Dump air.
  • Extend slideouts.
  • Lower jacks.
  • Pour a cold one.

I put them in this order:

Dump air.
Lower jacks.
Extend slideouts.
Pour a cold one.

If I try to level with the jacks without dumping the air, I usually won't have enough travel in the jacks to level. And it's probably easier on the slide mechanism to extend after it's level. If you pour a cold one first, the others may get out of sequence.

Robert

That's the same sequence I do things in, for the same reasons. This was a campground discussion last evening. I just checked my owners manual and it says:

• Extend slideouts.
  • Lower jacks.
  • Dump air.

Separately, it makes a big deal about extending slideouts "with the air suspension system full".

After arrival we use the following order.

1. Check in and get site assignment

2. If site is not a pull through we disconnect the toad

3. Park and position MH as required.

4. Begin leveling - In the Eagle the air is dumped when we lower the jacks

5. Sam extends slide while I start hooking up

6. Sam & I finish hooking up

7. ?Relax with a glass of ice tea

We think its better to get the rig parked before dumping air, lowering jacks, and extending slide. ;D ;D ;D

It depends on the make and model. ?Except the last item ;) ?In the case of our Endeavor, it's dump air, level, extend slideout. ?Reverse when leaving. ?Some models are leveled after extending the slideout. ?Follow the manufacturers instructions in all cases.

BTW this subject came up because it appears some Monaco dealers are providing advice that conflicts with the manufacturer's instructions.

Tom said:
What's the correct sequence of the following for a diesel coach on arrival at a campground?

• Dump air.
  • Extend slideouts.
  • Lower jacks.
  • Pour a cold one.

For our NON-SLIDE Wanderlodge:
  • Pull into site.
  • Parking brake on.
  • Shut off engine.
  • Dump air.
  • Extend jacks.
  • Check level bubbles to see if coach is really level.
  • Check polarity at power hookup.
  • Power cord to power hookup.
  • Turn on air conditioner  ;D.

Tom, do you think that there is something unique about the roadmaster chassis that might create an interference with the slide mechanism with the aid dumped? Looking at my freightliner chassis, I can't see anything that would make a difference to the slide, air or not. ?As they say, "how do it know?".

Robert

Thanks Liz. I was specifically interested in when the slideouts could/should be extended in relation to dumping air and levelling the coach.

caltex said:
do you think that there is something unique about the roadmaster chassis that might create an interference with the slide mechanism with the aid dumped?

I don't recall seeing anything, but I'll crawl under and take a look when I get a chance.

caltex said:
Tom, do you think that there is something unique about the roadmaster chassis that might create an interference with the slide mechanism with the aid dumped? Looking at my freightliner chassis, I can't see anything that would make a difference to the slide, air or not.  As they say, "how do it know?".

Robert

Hi Robert,

I don't know for sure but I wonder if Monaco feels their coach is at the most level point when on the air suspension. Some suspension systems react to the coach being off level and compensate. I think Prevost also requires the slides to be moved  before leveling.

I do know if my coach is not fairly level the slide will tend to bind a little.

Tom said:
BTW this subject came up because it appears some Monaco dealers are providing advice that conflicts with the manufacturer's instructions.

In that case, I would believe the manufacturer.  The procedure should be documented in the owner's manual.  If in doubt, call the manufacturer.

No, I didn't miss anything.? I was expressing my opinion for others.? I know you would do it correctly.

I find it interesting that your procedure is just the opposite of ours.

Jim, I know that Beavers have the option of air leveling, but I assumed that only worked when separately activated.  Do some systems keep the coach level at all times?

Robert

Hi Robert,

Those are two separate systems. My Country Coach had air leveling as well as the air ride system. In some coaches, such as Foretravel, and possibly Monaco, the air ride system will automatically instantly compensate for an out of level condition such as one side of coach suddenly going off the paved road onto a gravel shoulder. The bags inflate quickly to level the coach and it's almost undetectable. We had a demonstration several years ago in a Foretravel. I'm wondering if Monaco feels the air ride system provides an adequate level condition for the slides.

John In Detroit said:
Humm, glass, that implies ICE tea, in short "A cold one"

Iced tea, water, or whatever turns you on John. A "cold one" doesn't necessarily mean alcohol.

caltex said:
Tom, do you think that there is something unique about the roadmaster chassis that might create an interference with the slide mechanism with the aid dumped? Looking at my freightliner chassis, I can't see anything that would make a difference to the slide, air or not.  As they say, "how do it know?".

Robert

Robert

Roadmaster and Freightliner do not control the slide mechanisms. Those are designed and installed by the coach manufacturers. The specific sequence of dumping air, leveling and extending slides are set by each manufacturer and may differ significantly between manufacturers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom