Corroded anode rod and hot water tank threads? [image]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oranjoose

I'm in the process of de-winterizing the rv for the first time since I bought it (bought it in winter), and I noticed that the anode rod, and the threads into which the rod seats have corrosion build up.

In fact, after putting on some Teflon tape and trying to thread the rod, I'm having trouble catching the threads because of the corrosion.

Any tips on what I should do? Best way to clean it off without introducing more problems?

Here's a picture of it:

IMG_20210514_203633.jpg

Yep, run a tap in till it just starts to cut metal. In order to better control the anode, lay some paper towel over your socket and force the anode into the socket. Now with an extension in the socket, you will have a handle.

Teflon tape acts like an insulator to prevent the anode rod from attracting the galvanic corrosion. Remove that tape, clean threads on both male and female parts.
reference: Galvanic Corrosion
If you need a pipe tap to clean the threads visit a pawn shop. You don't need one sharp to cut new threads, simply clean the existing threads.

You can call some plumbers in your area and see if they could lend you a rethread tap. It is made diferent from a standard tap.

I’ve never seen one so they must be rare. A standard tap will do the job. Just stop turning it when you feel it’s cutting new threads.

Back
Top Bottom