Could my new-to-me RV be making me sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwdanby

I have a 2004 Forest River Cardinal 32ft fifth wheel I bought last year. It was in very good shape, squeaky clean, virtually no damage or even wear and tear. I've been living in it now just over a year. I'm parked beside my house, shore water and power. Black tank has mostly behaved itself, I've never had a spill or any odor in the trailer. I keep the trailer clean (although not necessarily tidy). I have a cat who never misses the litter box. I don't smoke. I don't use any strong cleaners.

Since roughly the time I got it, can't remember when exactly it started, I've had digestive issues, sometimes serious. I have a diagnosis of "IBS?" (quoting doctor's notes). I'm trying everything I can think of, and I'm just wondering if there is any chance that something in the trailer could be causing it. Has anyone had a similar experience? if so, how did you go about figuring out what was causing your health issues? I was thinking, for a start, spending 24 or more hours away, and seeing if I felt any better. Maybe it would need to be longer.

Do you-all have any ideas on this? Thanks!

Have you been checked for cancer? Colonoscopy? Prostate cancer? Its serious stuff my younger brother has stage 4 colon cancer he never got checked he is a moron in my books

I have actually had the tests, yes, they were negative for all the really bad stuff, like colitis or Crohn's or cancer. My doctor went through everything he could think of and said most likely IBS. He also suggested I look at where I lived and where I worked, or spent any large amount of time. So my RV is one place I want to check out.

Every RV I've ever owned had a warning about formaldehyde used in the cabinetry. Might ask you doctor about that.

Have your unit checked for formaldehyde.

We looked at a normal house once and I am sure had mold. I got a hellacious sore throat within 4 hours of leaving the house tour. Took it off the list quick.

I am fellow sufferer with IBS. Mine is worsened by stress, nerves and milk products with lactose impact it as well. I think it unlikely that your RV is causing the problem, but I am not a doctor. If you have the option to live somewhere else for a month, it could give you an insight into your RV as a cause.

Have you been checked for food allergies? Allergies can develop or become acute suddenly at any point in your life.

Many years ago a coworker had developed digestive issues. Turns out he was allergic to yeast. Had to cut out bread, crackers, cakes etc. Even worse, he had to cut out beer and wine. Distilled liquors only.

Kevin

Several possible issues
The change of water if you are drinking "City" water (park water)
Yes there could be something in the RV.
May be the change from "Home" food to "RV" food (not a problem for me I did not change)
Something totally unrelated.
About the only thing I'd rule out is Stress... but even that could be the issue.

Try a good probiotic with digestive enzymes. That helped me.

Great suggestion. Many mystery health issues can be traced back to gut health, and taking probiotics (with at least 3 Billion active cultures) are a good daily habit. Usually marketed as Acidophilus, and the more "strains" the better. We either buy this Swanson brand or this Thompson's brand depending on price and availability at any given time. They really help keep everything "moving along" nicely, if you know what I mean. :)

Gluten free (no wheat) and lactose free or casein free (no milk) are also things you could try, but those efforts take dedication! You'll become an expert at reading food labels, as I can attest since we've done various combinations of those dietary restrictions over the years in my family. My wife suffered with IBS symptoms for years, and it turns out she has a food allergy to wheat. Eating gluten-free (GF) solved most of that, and she takes various vitamin supplements also that she deeply researched. You might want to try a second opinion from a "Functional" or "Integrative" medicine doctor in your area... they tend to think outside the box a little more than conventional medicine, that wants to throw a prescription at everything.

Are you able to move from the trailer back into your house for awhile? See if any of the problems subside on their own.

Thank you-all so much! I did a formaldehyde test, just mailed it off, and I'll be out of the house for a week soon, so we'll see if it helps. Thanks also for the medical suggestions, never too many of those. I appreciate!

On a 2004 I'd be surprised if formaldehyde but.. then the key word is surprised. Does not mean it can not happen.... One thing you need to know, Every RV toiled I've ever purchased came with a bottle of formaldehyde based black tank treatment. If it got spilled.......

But the insulation and other things I'd expect would have aired out after what alost 18 years.. Less it was closed up most of that time.

Back
Top Bottom