countertop crack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rankjo

No, this is not a request how to make cocaine in my RV galley :))
But I do have a fresh crack in my countertop, in a v-shape, with the base of the v on the edge of the sink. The countertop material is some sort of manufactured marble, I think. It's a Winne Ad 2001. The palm-sized piece has not popped out, to my surprise, and I think that the crack may be only superficial. the material is machined very thin where it overlaps the sink, but is an inch thick further back.
I called the Winne dealer for a new countertop, and got an $850 shock for my trouble. I then thought about using long fine screws to stablize the fragment but the material is too thin at the edge. Local advice has been to a) force Crazy Glue into the crack (!)  b) get some matching countertop glue and force it into the crack (OK, where and how to match?)
Any advice would be appreciated
John

I had a similar problem.  First thi ng is find out what the material is.  Some are polyester based and you need to use epoxy.  Some are acrylic based and you can use a fusion type of cement such as common plastic model cement or even PVC cement.  Super glue might hold but it will contaminate the surface if it doesn't.

But what will it look like after being glued? I have an offer to make me a new top out of 'similar-looking' granite, which would be around $500 installed, which sure beats the Winne price of $850 for the part, before shipping and installation. I don't want the kitchen counter to look crappy, which would surely impact on my resale.
John

If the material is Corian it can be repaired by heating and refusing the material. Check with a local cabinet shop to find out more.

These manmade materials all have to be handled differently.  If it's Corian repairs are done one way, if it's Wilsonart it's done another way.  Don't do anything until you find out what it is you are dealing with!  Corian repairs, done properly, are indistinguishable from the unrepaired part and look great.  I've attended quite a few Corian seminars and they always tell us to only go to an authorized Corian repair person because you don't want a botched job.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom