Cover broke off trailer plug in outlet- any fix suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond G Ranch

The spring loaded plastic cover broke off of my trailer light plug in outlet-its one of those round 7pin outlets- The outlet itself is fine and I do not want to have the whole thing replaced If I can avoid it- does anyone have any suggestions of some part to fix it....is it possible to replace only the spring loaded door?? If su, where would I obtain the part- I have looked without success....if that is not an option, then what else can I do to protect the outlet from dust and weather without replacing the entire outlet??

I'm pretty sure the answer is total replacement.

However

Maybe a make and model of the truck may get you a better answer. And picture of the broken part and plug would be even better.

It is one of those round 7 pin outlets....with the standard spring loaded cover that broke off...

I?ve repaired a couple of the aluminum ones, never had a plastic one. In my experience the spring loaded covers main purpose is to retain plug and secondly a dust cover. They?re cheap and an easy install.

jubileee said:
I?ve repaired a couple of the aluminum ones, never had a plastic one. In my experience the spring loaded covers main purpose is to retain plug and secondly a dust cover. They?re cheap and an easy install.

OK...so without replacing the whole plug, where in the world would I get just the cover for one of these outlets....looked online...wrote to trailers.com(they don't carry any such thing)?.where do I look....??

If you can find the same receptacle, buy one and use the parts, if it's that you don't want to get into the wiring.

Good luck.

Don't be such a cheapskate,  spend a few bucks and fix it right.

You could buy just the trailer end plug to stick in the socket, but I agree a straight up replacement is by far the best option.
1.  It is not very expensive to buy.
2.  That cover LOCKS THE CORD IN PLACE.  Traveling without the cover / latch risks the plug coming loose and losing all trailer lights and braking.

Be safe!

I don't even think it's a matter of being a cheapskate.  It's a matter of how much trouble it will be to try and fix that spring loaded hinge, rather than just pop it out (which you will probably have to do anyway to replace it), and then just popping in a new one.  On my F-250, the bumper plug is held in by two clips, one on each side of the plug.  It literally takes 30 seconds to pop it out.  I know, I had to replace it with the new 7/12 pin for the backup camera. 

I have never seen or heard of a replacement hinge lid/cover.  Not saying it doesn't exist, I've just never heard of it.

Thanks for all the input-
And to the reply that suggested that "Cheapness" was the issue, is being nasty really necessary?
I live an hour from any town....and I am not someone that feels comfortable rewiring an entire new plug on....not in my wheelhouse so I was hoping perhaps there was a way to just replace the door- but I now see that the only way to safely fix this issue is to make it a point to have a whole new outlet installed....so I will make sure that gets done...Thanks for all the suggestions and positive feedback

And to the negative person-
See, it's probably a good idea to know the entire story before jumping to conclusions and being a smart alec...

for the extra buck I'd go with the aluminum one.  Those plastic ones are always screwed up. 

The other option is just get a whole new trailer ;D

It might be helpful if you told us what vehicle you need repaired.  If it is a pickup, and you need the outlet, some can replaced by simply plugging into the original harness, no splicing wire required.

lynnmor said:
It might be helpful if you told us what vehicle you need repaired.  If it is a pickup, and you need the outlet, some can replaced by simply plugging into the original harness, no splicing wire required.

100% correct almost all post 2000 vehicles have a plug and play harness trace it back from the plug and they are more often than not connected behind the left taillight its a 5min job if you just need the plug most come with the harness attatched but its $50 -$80 depending on the vehicle - replacement plugs are $10

This vehicle is a 2002 F350 7.3 diesel....I looked at how the original plug was installed and it was wired directly into the harness....it is such a tight area to work in since I have one of those Ranchhand custom diamond plate rear bumpers....and there is miles of electric tape around the wires starting right at the back of the plug running the 6 or 8 inches into that accordian style wire covering....certainly nothing to suggest it would be a quick swap out for someone that is not an electrician....so I will get one of those metal replacements and drive to town and have the metal one installed by someone that knows what the hec they are doing....metal this time so I won't hopefully find myself in this position again anytime soon....thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom