COVID Vaccine Reactions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long was it between your vaccination & when you tested positive, the 5 days? Did you have the virus when you got the vaccine? How weird.
It was five days. Not sure when I picked up the virus. Three doctors I talked to say the vaccine would not be 100% until 14 days after the 2nd dose.They all said, as well as the health department, that the vaccine was most likely what kept me down to just minor symptoms for only two days.

JayFlight, I am sorry you thought you were being attacked on the Wednesday chat. I seem to remember it was more about you should talk to your doctor, not decide on your own, but I may have missed something. I also hope you have logged your symptoms through your county health department.

It was five days. Not sure when I picked up the virus. Three doctors I talked to say the vaccine would not be 100% until 14 days after the 2nd dose.They all said, as well as the health department, that the vaccine was most likely what kept me down to just minor symptoms for only two days.
I'm glad you weren't any worse. This whole virus is so unpredictable.

I had my 2nd Pfizer shot on Friday (about 36 hrs ago). I had some soreness at the site in my arm and a very slight headache for about 24 hours but I did not take anything for it nor did it slow me down . I remained very active this weekend. The only thing I did was drink more water than usual to increase my hydration.

My reaction was similar with the first shot. I also signed up for the CDC V-Safe. I appreciate the texts and quick questions that I received each day for a week after the shots. I am glad to provide my feedback so that data can be collected on these vaccine.

There was a very interesting segment on 60 minutes about vaccine devopment last night.

Three doctors I talked to say the vaccine would not be 100% until 14 days after the 2nd dose.
This is just a gentle reminder - not a criticism of anyone's posts. Meant to inform folks so that they may choose to continue to mask-up and physically distance and stay out of crowded, poorly-ventilated venues even after receiving shots. The current vaccines are not 100% protective - I think current data from manufacturers tracking those who were in the Phase 3 trials is less than 90%. This could mean that 1 in 10 people "vaccinated" will not get the protection the vaccine was designed to confer.

What the docs meant I believe is that your immune system, will achieve its peak Covid-19 antibody concentration in your body at 14 days. This is the generally accepted timeframe for when "killer" antibody titers are at their highest. Some people will get there sooner, others later. And, it's been found that some people will not produce ANY antibodies after being given the vaccine. It is still not known how long antibodies will persist in people at levels that will reduce disease severity, but it appears that 6 months is being tossed around. That is not definitive, because we just haven't had enough people getting shots for a long enough period of time to get good data.

The current shots were never designed to actually immunize people for the Covid-19 virus in the same manner that we have immunity to polio, smallpox, mumps, measles, etc. The Covid vaccines were designed, tested, and shown to significantly REDUCE death and hospitalizations from the disease. This is the basis on which they were approved at least here in the USA. This was, and is, the immediate goal world-wide. The manufacturers don't claim it will PREVENT one from being ill, only that the severity of that illness will be significantly less. I think this was Jeff's case as his doctors pointed out. The encouraging news is that, again through tracking, it does appear that the vaccine has actually prevented disease, at least in some people. But the whole vaccine vs. immunization situation is evolving still and being heavily researched.

Kudos to all those who have stepped up and taken the time and trouble to get the shots. They are the single most important tool in the tool-bag we have to get the pandemic under control. Be safe.

Linda

This is just a gentle reminder - not a criticism of anyone's posts. Meant to inform folks so that they may choose to continue to mask-up and physically distance and stay out of crowded, poorly-ventilated venues even after receiving shots. The current vaccines are not 100% protective - I think current data from manufacturers tracking those who were in the Phase 3 trials is less than 90%. This could mean that 1 in 10 people "vaccinated" will not get the protection the vaccine was designed to confer.

What the docs meant I believe is that your immune system, will achieve its peak Covid-19 antibody concentration in your body at 14 days. This is the generally accepted timeframe for when "killer" antibody titers are at their highest. Some people will get there sooner, others later. And, it's been found that some people will not produce ANY antibodies after being given the vaccine. It is still not known how long antibodies will persist in people at levels that will reduce disease severity, but it appears that 6 months is being tossed around. That is not definitive, because we just haven't had enough people getting shots for a long enough period of time to get good data.

The current shots were never designed to actually immunize people for the Covid-19 virus in the same manner that we have immunity to polio, smallpox, mumps, measles, etc. The Covid vaccines were designed, tested, and shown to significantly REDUCE death and hospitalizations from the disease. This is the basis on which they were approved at least here in the USA. This was, and is, the immediate goal world-wide. The manufacturers don't claim it will PREVENT one from being ill, only that the severity of that illness will be significantly less. I think this was Jeff's case as his doctors pointed out. The encouraging news is that, again through tracking, it does appear that the vaccine has actually prevented disease, at least in some people. But the whole vaccine vs. immunization situation is evolving still and being heavily researched.

Kudos to all those who have stepped up and taken the time and trouble to get the shots. They are the single most important tool in the tool-bag we have to get the pandemic under control. Be safe.

Linda
Spot on Linda, we'll put.👍

I got the J&J shot on Friday afternoon. I basically spent Saturday having Covid all over again(I had what I term a mild case in January). Not pleasant, but I woke up Sunday morning and after a good breakfast and a hot shower I felt normal again. No fainting, no blood clots.

Linda, thanks for bringing up this point, sure it would be nice if the vaccine were to keep people from being sick, but the bottom line point is regardless if we are talking about the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines which may lower the chances of catching Covid by 90% or the Johnson and Johnson vaccine which may only lower chances of catching it by 60%, they all greatly lower the chances of having serious cases requiring hospitalization to virtually zero. Looking at the studies for all of the vaccines the number to look at is not how many people who received the vaccine caught covid (ie tested positive), the real number is out of those who tested positive, how many of those ended up in the hospital, and the answer to all of them is well under 1%. So sure some tiny percentage of people who have taken the vaccine will still end up in the hospital, and some tiny fraction of those will die, but that number is so small that nearly each case makes the news, which is saying something as we approach 1/5 of the US population being immunized.

Unfortunately I feel what we are seeing now with the news media is a feeding frenzy, where they continue chasing smaller and smaller stories, and inflating them up bigger and bigger to keep the covid story in the news. Instead of focusing on all the un-immunized people still getting sick and dying, though at a slower rate due to numerous factors including better treatment. What they focus on instead are the rare fringe cases of people dropping dead in the days and weeks after getting vaccination, often with no evidence that the death was related to covid. Here is a real news flash for you, occasionally people drop dead for no apparent reason, otherwise healthly people have heart attacks and die, or brain aneurysms where they can be walking down the street and flop over dead between steps. And with over 56 million people in the US fully vaccinated now, some of those people are going to drop dead at random.

I got the J&J jab Saturday afternoon. My nose was a little runnier than usual yesterday morning, but other than that the only side effect for me has been some soreness at the injection site. The two doses of shingles vaccine I got last year caused much more severe injection site pain.

And with over 56 million people in the US fully vaccinated now, some of those people are going to drop dead at random.
You mean people like Charlie Rich (the singer) who, many years ago, enroute from one concert to another, pulled off the road to nap and never woke up. Or like a friend of mine (in 2009) who, according to her husband (a retired MD), got up in the morning, said she wasn't feeling well, lay on the couch to rest, and never woke up.

And I've heard of other cases like that, too.

Yes, exactly several years ago at my work we had an otherwise healthy delivery driver (had no problem passing his yearly CDL phyisials) go home from work one day, sit back in his recliner and have a heart attack and died, he was 34 years old.

JayFlight, I am sorry you thought you were being attacked on the Wednesday chat. I seem to remember it was more about you should talk to your doctor, not decide on your own, but I may have missed something. I also hope you have logged your symptoms through your county health department.
I don't do internet medical diagnosis of what others think I should or should not do or get shamed into anything either. No one knows my body anymore than I do, good, bad or indifferent. I be the same applies to you too. And I bet that the same information that doctors knows about these particular new medications is exactly what most people in the outside world can read too. Some people even get second opinions on day to day ailments too. Of course I don't claim to be a doctor. But I like to have the ability to walk until I end up flat for the lengthy future. ;)

One thing is for sure, the CDC has continued to change their tune on this virus over the course of the past year. Heck its being stated that now the vaccine may not be good enough and people should still lock themselves down or wear two plus masks in some instances.

So what is the raw truth. So why take the vaccine if we have to do the same things as before the vaccines were approved. Its never enough for some people when they get in power or questioned in front of a tv camera.

And when people take other medications that has a stated chance to be altered by other approved medication, you darn right an intelligent individual[of course highly subjective to others] has every right to pause and reflect and even decide against taking a med, especially a new med. YMMV,

I don't do internet medical diagnosis of what others think I should or should not do or get shamed into anything either. No one knows my body anymore than I do, good, bad or indifferent. I be the same applies to you too. And I bet that the same information that doctors knows about these particular new medications is exactly what most people in the outside world can read too. Some people even get second opinions on day to day ailments too. Of course I don't claim to be a doctor. But I like to have the ability to walk until I end up flat for the lengthy future. ;)

One thing is for sure, the CDC has continued to change their tune on this virus over the course of the past year. Heck its being stated that now the vaccine may not be good enough and people should still lock themselves down or wear two plus masks in some instances.

So what is the raw truth. So why take the vaccine if we have to do the same things as before the vaccines were approved. Its never enough for some people when they get in power or questioned in front of a tv camera.

And when people take other medications that has a stated chance to be altered by other approved medication, you darn right an intelligent individual[of course highly subjective to others] has every right to pause and reflect and even decide against taking a med, especially a new med. YMMV,
The CDC, NIH and every other scientific and medical organization base their findings and conclusions on scientific theory. Something new like COVID 19 rears its ugly head and research is commenced; many very smart folks start investigating and testing. The problem is the virus keeps moving the goalpost. Hell, we don’t have a handle on the common cold. Science is always in flux, things change and we have to change with them.
as far as wearing masks and social distancing, those acts are a minor inconvenience we are asked to endure. Americans, or many Americans, are a bunch of whiners. Wearing a mask is such a small thing to ask.
as far as the vaccine goes, if it causes more health problems than benefits, by all means do not get it. But if a friend of friend heard some crackpot say the vaccine causes folks to acquire an extra butt crack maybe folks ought not listen to those folks.

Oldgator, my problem with the CDC, NIH, WHO, etc. is they have lied to the public over and over again for the last year, often knowing they are lying when they did it, either to try to get the people to act how they want them to, or because they felt the public would not accept the truth. Things like telling the public that it may be more harmful to wear a mask than not to wear one, when the truth was they wanted to save the limited supply for medical personnel. Or telling everyone we would have a 2 week lock down, when they knew full well the lock down would be a lot longer than 2 weeks. (see the testimony a the congressional hearings where this was admitted)

So while it is true that some of the goal post moving is due to better understanding of the virus, a lot of it is not goal post moving at all, instead it is the powers that be lying about where the goal post was from the beginning to make it sound closer than it really was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom