cpap machine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greg and rita

We are about to purchase a motorhome and intend to spend extended periods of time away staying in both caravan parks and free camping.

Do I need to purchase any type of adaptors or items to use my CPAP machine for sleeping? I assume they just plug in and work. If anyone can help with this and advise how much power they use I would be very gratefull.

Cheers
Greg

Hi Greg. Is this an Au motorhome or one imported from the USA?  Will you be staying in caravan parks in Au?

Many folks buy a small inverter to run a CPAP machine from the house battery(ies). That way, they can be independent of the need for campground (caravan park) power or lack thereof.

Your CPAP most likely operates on regular house current (120 vac).  If there is shore power available, then no problem.  However, shore power lacking, you will need an inverter of high enough power to operate the CPAP.  An inverter is used to make 120 vac from the batteries 12 vdc.  Some motorhomes have inverters installed, but many (most) do not.  Inverters of the size needed for your CPAP are not expensive, but require correct installation.  Since you have not purchased a MH yet, the addition of an inverter might be part of your negotiations.

As for the inverter itself, there are two basic types...1) full sine wave...2) modified sine wave.  If your CPAP is digitally controlled, it might not work on a modified sine wave inverter.  Unless you are sure a modified sine wave inverter will work with your CPAP, get a full sine wave inverter.  A FSW inverter will operate other devices where the MSW inverter might not.

Also, make sure you have good fully charged batteries which might require you too have a generator to recharge if camping without shore power.

CPAP = constant positive airway pressure.  Used for sleep apnea.

The power requirements (voltage and amperage) of your machine should be clearly marked on the machine itself or on its power supply if there is one. You really need this information to determine what to do for the potential RV.

I use my CPAP with a 12V adapter cord that plugs into the 12V receptacle at the rear of my RV. Never had a problem. Doesn't drain the battery with overnight use even in the coldest of temperature. And this includes using the TV for 5-6 hours and furnace fan. I've used it for up to two weeks on some trips.

Just have to make sure that your CPAP machine has the 12V plug option/adapter.

my wife uses a cpap machine and it works fine, they don't use much power. the only problem is not knocking it off the table that we put it on , if you have to get up to go to the bathroom,we use a small folding table, :)

Thank you all for your response on CPAP machine. Yes we are in Australia and although we are upside down here it would seem it will still work.

Thanks
Greg

I have a Remstar Pro that I operate off a MSW 800 watt inverter that I bought for $50.00. I use it instead of the 12 Volt plug so that the humidifier will work.

greg and rita said:
Thank you all for your response on CPAP machine. Yes we are in Australia and although we are upside down here it would seem it will still work.

Thanks
Greg
Hmmm  Maybe if you were right-side-up you wouldn't need a CPAP. ;D ;D

Jeff said:
I have a Remstar Pro that I operate off a MSW 800 watt inverter that I bought for $50.00. I use it instead of the 12 Volt plug so that the humidifier will work.

I have a six year old Remstar Pro that I now use as a backup. About 4 years ago I sent it in for a recall  for an issue with the humidifier. The humidifier was replaced with one that will work on 12 vdc.
I never used it on 12 v though because the 300 watt inverter I used was easier to use than installing a 12 v receptacle.

The new models all work with 12 v.

How much power one uses depends on how it is being used. If you have A/C power just plug it in. If not you will have to use an inverter or the D/C plug in your RV. You cord will have to purchase a DC for the CPAP machine from your supply company. For dry camping instead of using the RV batt I have goe with a Power Pack like you use to jump start your car. The one I purchased came with the A/C power inverter built in. It has D/C plugs as well. I tried it out the last trip and you can get 2 nights on one charge. It is very light so plan to use it for tent camping next season.

Some facts: the CPAP itself uses very little power,, However if you run it via an inverter you loose about 10% converting from 12DC to 120AC, and another 10% going from 120 AC back to 12 (or some other) DC for a total loss of 19%. round it to 20.

Second: Humidifiers and heaters draw major power compared to the un-heated, un-humidified unit.. However how much more that is I do not know.. When two out of 3 of my doctors insisted I had sleep Apena.. I went for the sleep study.. Turns out the Pulmologist (Lungs and breathing systems) was right.. I do not have it.. Zip, Zero, no events recorded (Couple of false alarms but they were false).

I told them that,, but now .. they believe me.  Thus I have no first hand experience with the devices, Just lots and lots of friends (including my son-in-law) who use them.

We were tied to sites with shore power for DW's machine until I wired a 400W inverter direct to the battery while repairing the trailer as there were no 12VDC outlets available. The power cord plugs into the inverter so it can be stowed with the machine while traveling. The dealer assured us the modified sine would be ok with our unit, so far it works just fine.

Both of the last two cpap machines I have owned had 12v adapters available.
Both actually operate on 12v,and come standard with a 110 v adapter
The current machine also runs the humidifier from 12v. Check your manufacturer's web site to see what they have available.

I may be wrong,but I believe you will draw less power from your battery using a 12v adapter than you would using 110v from an inverter.

John From Detroit said:
Second: Humidifiers and heaters draw major power compared to the un-heated, un-humidified unit.. However how much more that is I do not know..

Interesting as my O2 machine just bubbles through water with no heat and I have no problem at all that way.  Why do they heat for the humidifier on the Cpap machines??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom