cracked windshield

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shepompi

I have a 2005 Holiday Rambler "Scepter" that has had 6 cracked windshields replaced. In July of 2004 we purchased our coach at the Napa show in California. Since then we have replaced the windshield 5 times because of stress cracks in the upper corners of our coach, Monaco has had there Techs fly down from Oregon and personally instruct the mechanics in replacing the glass, and in a few hours later the windshield cracks, they have cut into the front cap extensively and still have not remedied the problem. Monaco has informed us that they will not be responsible if injury occurs due to windshield, because there is a problem, unfortunatley we are not able to drive it due to saftey. They now want us to go to Oregon facility to try and fix it for the 6th time. Is there anyone else having this problem as Monaco told us there is a 100 RV's with the same problem, We need your imput, Thanks

While we were at the Monaco service center in Harrisburg, Oregon a few months ago they had several coaches there getting windshields replaced, some of them for the fourth (or greater) time. In the case of the guy parked next to me, they'd replaced it 4 times and were repeatedly grinding fiberglass away to get the windshield to sit better. (That coach wasn't an original Monaco built coach - it was a Safari, one of their acquisitions which they're continuing to stand by).

One guy there told me that a Monaco tech broke a replacement windshield on his coach as he was installing it and the owner had to wait a few more days for another replacement to arrive. In some cases, Monaco decided to replace the entire front of the motorhome (I might have a photo around here somewhere).

Edit: Just found the photo - attached. I think this is the old cap after removal. (New ones aren't painted until after they've been installed on the coach).

Attachments

• Front_cap.jpg
    Front_cap.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 64
I have a 2005 Holiday Rambler "Scepter" that has had 6 cracked windshields replaced.

That's got to be discouraging.  It sounds as though Monaco is making every effort to fix the problem, but meanwhile you don't have the use of your motorhome.  I would think some compensation for lost use would be apprpriate by now. You might want to look into lemon laws in the state of purchase - 6 failures to repair a serious problem over an 18 month period would surely be enough to qualify.

Will they reimburse you for the trip to Oregon?  The Monaco factory service is excellent.  I would definitely go there, since it is your best bet to get the problem resolved.  AS Tom says, they can put on a whole new front cap if necessary.

Monaco has a good reputation for supporting their products and I am sure they will get it fixed. ?However since Monaco has advised they will not be responsible for injuries caused by the windshield I think I would request Monaco make arrangements for the coach to be driven or transported to their factory for repair. ?Good luck and please keep us updated. ?Like I said before I am confident Monaco will get the problem corrected.

Thanks for all the reply's this is the first time on a forum

Motorhomes,? Windshields are intended to keep occupants inside the vehicle. The windshield also supports the roof thereby preserving the structural integrity of the passenger compartment and keeping it from collapsing and crushing the driver and passengers. Seen from this perspective of personal safety, any damaged windshield they replace should? be replaced properly and safely. Now the structure has been modified twice already and? the glass replaced five times .Now in need of another windshield and more structural modifications! We as consumers have a right to be safe seeing that this can not be rectified we do not want to Compromise our safety any longer.. and should we?
I have had conversations with Monaco Corp. seeing that this has been an ongoing problem with 100's or more RVs with one-piece and others windshields concerns me ..Our research on windshields should be a concern!. Not just a little sanding or chipping away of the frame and slapping another windshield in . I am not satisfied with manipulating the structure . The effectiveness of the entire SRS is being compromised. This is not fix for me .This is just one of many on going problems this Coach has .

Here is an idea of what we have been dealing with from day 1.

5 cracked windshields, needs 6th repair. Battery problems for coach and engine with charging problems, sink top separation problems, jack problems, sensor problems for tanks , slide out problems in kitchen, electrical problems for LCD read-out above pass chair, TV has poor picture,? ignition switch problems, generator hard start problems, water heater AC problems, water leak from under kitchen sink causing water stained panel, turn signal problem, recall on engine part never replaced, step not retracting on start up, entry key pad malfunction, electrical problem with pass seat, well cover dis-engages, refrig control problems, had to replace mirror in bathroom, Brake light switch problem
A/C from driver dash not cooling properly, elect out-lets ,several do not work in inverter mode, pillow fringes for couch unraveling, map lights not working properly, drivers shade screen not retracting properly, the roof has been repaired due to stress fractures in the fiberglass, paint pealing on exterior,?
Monaco might have great service but i would rather be safe and not have so many problems

I doubt the windshield itself provides any intended structural support to the coach. If it does, that might explain stress cracks. I suspect that there's some slight difference between the form of the windshield and the part of the cap where the windshield sits,maybe due to design tolerances, manufacturing tolerances, mold changes, or maybe even changes at the glass supplier. If it's not a good fit, the windshield gets stressed in one or more places. Finding the high spots and grinding fiberglass to remove them and ensure a good fit is not something that would bother me - it might even prevent a problem down the road.

Sorry to hear about your other problems. But you're not alone and don't think this is unique to Monaco. Many RVers owning different brands report various problems. It almost seems like an industry-wide problem of not being able to ensure quality and reliability in the products.

Back
Top Bottom