Craig's List sale......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Bojangles

Hello all:

I have listed for Sale a Truck on "Craig's list". I have used site successfully in past for small items, and have worked in person with purchasers.

I'm concerned with a response (below) and need advice. It smells of scam to me.
After listing truck, I immediately got email asking if truck is still for sale?

Thinking "still for sale" that's odd since it was listed only hours ago? Well, I answered email with one word, "YES".
The following email arrived: (no changes were made to message)

Thanks for your response, I am quite okay with your price,I need you to understand that i am willing and ready to purchase it right away,put it off the AD site,consider me as your favorite buyer,and Please note that i have a shipper/mover who handles my shipping arrangement anywhere in the world,she would be coming for the pickup,after you have received payment,which would be through PayPal,If this is acceptable,advice soon as i am a Sailor and i am buying this for my son as a surprise gift,So kindly get back to me with the present condition of it and also some pictures of it,I can only pay through PayPal at the moment as i do not have access to my bank account online,but i have it attached to my PayPal account,and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay,all i will need is your pay pal email address to make the payments and some pictures if you do not have a PayPal account yet,its pretty easy to set one up at www.paypal.com,i will be expecting your email.I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted.
I'm not going to "respond or act" to this message, other than asking forum members for inputs. And...., I remember "seeing" something, warnings, about PayPal scams.
I have not posted pictures yet and requesting them in message puts some "sense" to email. But a Sailor purchasing for son? Naw...
Help.

Once paypal pays you its money in the bank, I do admit its is a strange way of doing things. But its a new internet buying world. I have taken Paypal payments and you can check with Paypal fraud department to see if its a real account and it they have had problems with this account.
Jim

I would not walk I would run away from this response!!  It is a scam!!

Mr Bojangles said:
Hello all:

I have listed for Sale a Truck on "Craig's list". I have used site successfully in past for small items, and have worked in person with purchasers.

I'm concerned with a response (below) and need advice. It smells of scam to me.
After listing truck, I immediately got email asking if truck is still for sale?

Thinking "still for sale" that's odd since it was listed only hours ago? Well, I answered email with one word, "YES".
The following email arrived: (no changes were made to message)
I'm not going to "respond or act" to this message, other than asking forum members for inputs. And...., I remember "seeing" something, warnings, about PayPal scams.
I have not posted pictures yet and requesting them in message puts some "sense" to email. But a Sailor purchasing for son? Naw...
Help.

This is known scam. Once your vehicle is gone you will find that PayPal chrages you back due to fraud by the buyer. It takes awhile for this to happen and by then your item is long gone. I have listed a few items, including a truck and have had this and similar emails saying they will buy it sight unseen. They will overnight a money order and have some one pick it up the same day.

Please be careful....

Yes, this is one of many scams to be found on CL.  Watch out for anyone asking for your "best price."  Also, scammers tend to use "form responses" and will often just use the term "item" instead of "truck."  Usually, if it smells bad it is bad.

Craigslist has the following notice posted all over their website:

DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.

As others have said, this is a long used scam.  The other one to watch out for is out of state buyers with a certified check, I don't remember the entire details of that one, but for large purchases, cash ONLY!
JT

Classic scam.  It resembles a message we received years ago when we had a bicycle for sale.  Who uses an "agent" to buy a $50 bicycle?  We ignored it.

Margi

The private shipper scam is well documented. Here is more information on how it works:

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1360

After reading the first two sentences......SCAM. I sell quite a bit on CL, and here's another little bit of advice. If you allow e-mails to be sent through CL to you, once you respond to that e-mail, the recipeient has your e-mail address. A favorite trick of spammers is to send you an e-mail like "Is this item still available" then use your e-mail address to sell or spam. They will also sell your phone number. A good way to prevent all this is to imbed your phone number or e-mail address in a JPEG file and add it along with your pictures. If they can't copy and paste, they won't bother.

Water Dog said:
After reading the first two sentences......SCAM. I sell quite a bit on CL, and here's another little bit of advice. If you allow e-mails to be sent through CL to you, once you respond to that e-mail, the recipeient has your e-mail address. A favorite trick of spammers is to send you an e-mail like "Is this item still available" then use your e-mail address to sell or spam. They will also sell your phone number. A good way to prevent all this is to imbed your phone number or e-mail address in a JPEG file and add it along with your pictures. If they can't copy and paste, they won't bother.

This likely explains the many CL ads I've come across offering motorhomes for sale at maybe 20 - 25% of it's NADA retail value.  They never have a phone number.  Frequently they claim to be a dealer but with no dealership info.  Whenever I find a motorhome I'm interested in I google the phone number and see what comes up.  It's amazing how much info is available from a phone number. 

THIS IS A SCAM ......  If you are going to sell something on Craigs List you should deal in cash only.  It is hard to get scammed with cash.  The alternative to Pay Pal is a ''direct bank to bank transfer of funds'' .......    This is a sure bet because he must pay his bank and HIS BANK will send the funds to YOUR BANK and the deal is done.  Some banks charge a fee for this transfer but it is well worth it because you get the cash right away and they can not take it back Lots of folks have been stung on this type of ''deal'' and will continue to be burned unless they are very careful. 
Remember this..........  This is just my opinion and I have been wrong in the past so I advise you to not take my advise........cj...

2000+ is enough of your youngest and finest..... BRING THEM HOME NOW.... cj

Thanks everyone...................  I will insist that party has money transferred to my bank directly from buyer's bank.

It's scary out there in "the World". Received $2,000 in cash once and was still scared.  My understanding is if bank accepted bills and later found them to be counterfeit, I would take the loss.
Hard to believe....

Thanks again folks

A favorite trick of spammers is to send you an e-mail like "Is this item still available" then use your e-mail address to sell or spam. They will also sell your phone number.

I went to Google mail and created a mail account that I only use when I want to buy or sell something.  It's free and the majority of incoming spam goes there, away from my "real" mail.

If I decide the seller is trustworthy and I want to buy more items from him in the future, I'll send him a change of address to one of my "real" email addresses.

I prefer Google mail over Yahoo because Google still has a POP3 option, which means I can set it up to use with my regular mail reader.  Yahoo requires you to use their Web interface, which means browsing to their web site to access the mail.

My understanding is if bank accepted bills and later found them to be counterfeit, I would take the loss.
Hard to believe....

When you deposit a big wad of money personally with the bank-teller insist on having the bills checked for counterfeits while you are still there. That should eliminate the "later" problem.

That's the least any bank should do automatically before accepting a large sum.

Had this done to me a while back trying to sell my Pentax 645 camera. Buyer from Arizona was willing to send me a certified check, and a personal courier would come pick it up. I simply said that he could send the certified check to his 'guy',  and then his 'guy' could hand me cash. Never heard anything more from him. Also emails went through craig's list, and craig's list emailed them to me.

But yes, definitely a scam.

If you worry about accepting counterfeit cash, buy a pen from Wal*Mart for about $2 and when you mark the bills with it, they turn color if they are counterfeit.  Most businesses and places that accept loads of cash use them.  Our church uses them and occasionally gets a bad bill. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom