Crazy fuel pricing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some fuel stations (like Flying J with the RV card) will credit the $.08/gal. tax at the truck pumps, but most will not.  You have to use the car or RV islands to avoid paying the tax.

Smoky said:
No special tax there.  I do not know the regs, but I do see an occasional 18 wheeler fueling up.  Lots of 18 wheelers spend the night at the far end of the lot also.

If 18 wheelers are fueling there then the 8 cents is included in the pump price. After you fuel go inside and ask for your 8 cents per gallon back.

Stop moaning I am paying the equivalent of $5.60 per US gallon here in GB, someones got to pay the directors salaries. ;)

BP and Shell have just both annouced record profits for last year, Its nice to hear they are doing so well :mad:

Olley

Talk about crazy fuel prices.  In the Rio Grande Valley of Texas reg gas today is 1.89 per gallon.  Amazing as soon as the President states settin aside funds for ethanol study prices go down.
C

I did not look to see if  truckers were using a special pump.  I just know I have seen them fueling.  I have not been paying that tax.

Smoky said:
I have not been paying that tax.

How do you know?  If you've been using the truck pumps and paying the advertised price, you've been paying the trucker tax.

When we fueled up in Gila Bend at the East end Schell station the RV diesel fuel price was $2.499.  Others went to the Love Truck stop on the West in and took advantage of the Good Sam discount.  They only paid $2.59 per gallon.  Now if any of you have not been to Gila Bend AZ  its not that big a place, Kinda don't blink or you may miss it.

Stop moaning I am paying the equivalent of $5.60 per US gallon here in GB, someones got to pay the directors salaries.?

Most the differential between the US and UK is tax.? Your government taxes the hell out of gasoline petrol.

Hi Guys

Mind if I throw a few questions in here ?

1. Is there no requirement for gas stations to state the height of their canopy - is there a 'standard' height, and can we (circa 13'2") get under most of them.

2. Do all gas stations that sell diesel actually display the fact (ie price) externally or is it worth driving in to check if we were getting low.

3. Can you guys explain this tax credit thing with claiming 8c back against truck prices. Does that apply whole US ?

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

Some gas stations post the clearance and some don't. If I'm unsure (I can never judge it), one of us goes outside to spot the coach.

We're used to seeing prices posted outside. But, on our last trip to Quartzsite, we noticed that very few of the gas stations we passed in Arizona posted their diesel prices outside even if they posted their petrol prices. It struck as strange.

Paul,

The $.08/gal. road tax is only in AZ.  In other states, you will pay the same price at the auto and truck pumps.

UK-RV said:
3. Can you guys explain this tax credit thing with claiming 8c back against truck prices. Does that apply whole US ?

Paul

Gasoline taxes in the US are imposed at many, many levels; federal, state, county, city, etc. They are also imposed differently; on cars, on trucks, off road diesel (tractors and ,other farm implements), on road diesel, etc. Thus they work differently all over the country. In Arizona, the state imposes a heavy truck tax that is 8 cents higher than the light truck tax. Thus when an RV fills up with diesel it is entitled to a refund of the higher tax charged.

Paul,

The 8c return is not common in all states. In fact, AZ is the only one I know about though there might be a couple of others.

Your best bet is to use truck stops whenever you can. No problem with the overhead and it's usually easier to get in and out. Even with Flying J we will use the truck side. The RV side is just too difficult and sometimes you have rigs going in both directions.

Not all canopies are the same height. Look at the corners of the canopy. If you see any damage, look out!!! Tom's idea of someone going outside to look is a good one.l

Thanks ya'll for clarifying the tax thing. AZ was the only state where we'd encountered it, but I wasn't sure so I didn't comment on it.

Good suggestion re using truck stops Jim. That's what we try to do when in transit, but have been known to refuel at our local Safeway store where they have sufficient clearance, OK pricing and we get 6c/gal discount.

When using the truck stops in AZ some will charge you the $.08 cents and refuse to give you the discount.  Loves does this off and on and depending on location Pilot has been know to do the same.  I have never had Flying J give me a problem.  If not at Flying J best to go in and ask.  We were going to fuel at Loves in QZ once but before I got started the guy in the RV next to me came out madder than heck since they insisted and did charge him the truck tax. I suggested he leave his rig right there and call the AZ tax folks.  We left but I did see him later and he indicated that when he asked for the phone nbr of who to call they wouldn't tell him so he just went to the phone and called his wife who was setting in the MH before she could answer they called him over and refunded the tax. probably 5 -10 buck at most but guess it was the principle of the thing to him.

Tom,

I, too, fuel at a local station in CT where I know I can get in without difficulty mostly because they are no higher than the two truck stops that are about 20 minutes away. :) We do try to use only truck stops when traveling.

If the price of fuel gets too far out of hand ,we might have to consider the alternative  ;D. I know of a free spirited person, fulltiming  in a converted school bus  :eek:,that uses this option, and has had success with it for over two years now ! ???

Of course I am sure the manufacturer of the coach would frown on its use though  :mad:

http://www.dieselsecret.com/index.html

Paul

In Oregon you have the opposite problem...You will pay around $.25? more than the posted price which is the truckers PUC price.

Ned:

Before I read your message I checked and was not paying the truck tax.  Now I guess I need to go back and ask them how they charge the truckers the tax.  Very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom