Credit Cards For Fuel Discounts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chuckbear

All of us are concerned with current high fuel prices. I have been trying to research using credit cards for either cash back or discounts at the pump to help save some money on fuel. What I'm finding is very confusing and doesn't really give me any definitive answers. So I thought I would go directly to the source. Those that are currently using cards for that very reason. So what are you all using to get the most discounts on your fuel purchases? I am not interested in getting any kind of reward points. I'm specifically looking for discounts at the pump or cash back for gas purchases. What say you? Chuck

I use a Kwik Trip card, gets me .03 a gallon but is regional to wi mn ia. Not much but helps. I also check Gas Buddy for the cheapest

I use a Kwik Trip card, gets me .03 a gallon but is regional to wi mn ia. Not much but helps. I also check Gas Buddy for the cheapest
I do use Gas Buddy a lot. But if able to find the best price AND get a discount, that would be a big help> Chuck

In Virginia we shop at Food City which gives us discounts at their pumps. We use USAA and Sam’s CC’s which we get cash back.
I have found that Sam's Club, Walmart, and other food locations with gas stations they don't have enough room for us to fuel up, especially towing a car. I really would prefer a card that can be used in almost any location or fuel stop so we can choose. Chuck

I have a Bank of America Visa card that gives a 3% cash back on fuel purchases along with discounts on other categories. The cash back is a credit that can be applied when you pay the bill or can be used against a future balance. No third parties involved, and at $4 a gallon it's an automatic 12 cents a gallon discount, at $5 a gallon it's 15 cents a gallon less. Slightly better than the usual cash discounts and I don't have to carry hundreds of dollars in cash to get it.

American Express has some good programs on their Blue card series. It's 3% cash back at gas stations at 6% at grocery stores. (up to $6k per year).

I have a Bank of America Visa card that gives a 3% cash back on fuel purchases along with discounts on other categories. The cash back is a credit that can be applied when you pay the bill or can be applied against a future balance. No third parties involved, and at $4 a gallon it's an automatic 12 cents a gallon discount, at $5 a gallon it's 15 cents a gallon less. Slightly better than the usual cash discounts and I don't have to carry hundreds of dollars in cash to get it.
No way will I ever do business with BOA. Chuck

We burn deisel for the truck and gas for the car. We get .10 off per gallon at Cumberland farms here in the northeast. We use their card and it automatically gets deducted from our checking account.
Don’t know how far they branch out in the USA.

We burn deisel for the truck and gas for the car. We get .10 off per gallon at Cumberland farms here in the northeast. We use their card and it automatically gets deducted from our checking account.
Don’t know how far they branch out in the USA.
These are primarily in New England, New York, and Florida. I have found that most convenience store locations are not conducive to fueling up a 35-foot RV towing a car. Although .10 a gallon is pretty good. Maybe a thought for the car. Chuck

We have a Visa card that pays 3% if you carry no balance. We use it for nearly everything. We take Amazon gift cards instead of cash and get 5%.
Bank are banks - they are in the business of making (taking your) money. It's how they survive and keep shareholders happy. Play there games and don't use thier credit. As far as qualifying purchases - t's a "clause" that allows them to withdraw there offer(s). Like I wrote, just play the game. Shop for the best deal cards.

They keep referring to "eligible purchases" and that bothers me. Chuck

I've never not had the card return the advertised percentage for gas or groceries - when purchasing fuel from a fuel pump at a fueling station, or buying food from a grocery store. I've used the card all over the country, and I've had this particular card for 13? years now.

I think there are some instances where the card wouldn't return (but it does return 1% for all other purchases). For example, if you were getting work done on your car at a gas station with a little garage, that would not be considered a "fuel" purchase even though the transaction was processed at the station.

All of us are concerned with current high fuel prices.
Not until I drive my RV. My most used cars and motorcycles are electric. And most of my charging is for free. Such as Friday when I went to the Reno DMV to renew my driver's license. The have free charge stations in their parking lot. Such free ones are all over the Reno area.

I have the Harley (US Bank) Visa. It gives me three times the points on gasoline purchased and at restaurants. I normally get my synthetic oil and filters and other such stuff for "free" at the local Harley dealer for my 2017 Harley Roadglide Ultra.

Likewise, I get a lot of groceries for free by using the Kroger card for all large purchases.

IMO, it is stupid to use debit cards or cash--unless they have a discount for using such.

-Don- Reno, NV

I have two cards that give cash back on all fuel purchases, one at 4% (PNC Bank VISA) and one at 3% (AARP MC), plus my Discover card is paying 5% cashback this calendar quarter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom