Cross Country

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wylecoyote

My wife and I just purchased a 31ft TT. My question is this, Is it practical to tow it from newhampshire to texas and back again? My family is having a family reunion and it might be nice to travel with the kids. (or not) I just dont know about towing a 31ft trailer halfway across the country and back again. I know I am not going to get any better gas mileage than a classc motorhome. Just looking for opinions. Thanks.

Brian

1st  Congrats on your purchase and join in the RVing fun.  2nd  Please give these guys like Calrl and Gary info on the tow vehicle.  yr , make model, engine 2 or 4 whll dr, and as many GVW and tire size  that you can. and they will determine the safety for you.  they are good and will lay it on the line if it's right or not. 

Brian,,

With the proper tow vehicle it is definitely possible to tow it across country. As Shayne has said, give us the specs on your tow vehicle and others will be able to answer your question.

The tow vehicle is an excursion with a v-10. So I know thats no problem, I have towed before. I was just trying to figure out if a 3 day trek to Texas and back would be practical. I guess maybe I dint know what I am trying to say. I guess I dint want to look stoopid dragging my trailer half way across the country and just wanted to know if anyone else has done this or would I be better off renting a mh. But by renting a mh kinda defeaters the purpose of having my own trailer to sleep in. We have alto of small camping trips planned out before we make a big trip like that.
BTW. thanks for the welcome. We are looking foreward to getting out there camping. Kids are excited too.

Wyle,
Nothing foolish about it. We have many members here who live full time in their trailers and travel all over North America in them. We crossed the country a couple of times when we towed fifth wheels.

The only real question for you is time vs distance.  If you only have a few days to make the trip, it might be smarter to fly and rent something when you get there. And soend your available time with family, which is what reunions are all about, right?  But if you have time,  take the RV and enjoy the journey as well as the reunion.

wylecoyote said:
...... I was just trying to figure out if a 3 day trek to Texas and back would be practical. I guess maybe I dint know what I am trying to say............................. 
BTW. thanks for the welcome. We are looking foreward to getting out there camping. Kids are excited too.

Howdy, Wyle.
I reckon that you can travel from New Hampshire to Texas okay, pulling your trailer. Now the question is where in Texas? We used to travel from Fort Lauderdale, FL to Fort Worth, TX in 3 days, 1300 miles one way, in our motorhome. Let me tell you, that is a hard 3 day's travel, even with my husband and I sharing the driving. Maybe 4-5 travel days, one way, might be easier on the whole family.

Regards,
Liz

Brian,

There's nothing wrong with wanting to take your own rig with you. It's the only way I like to travel. It's just a matter of the amount of time available. It takes me three days just to cross the state of TX on I10, a long three days! How many days do you actually have to make the whole trip from start to finish? ,

wylecoyote said:
The tow vehicle is an excursion with a v-10. So I know thats no problem, I have towed before. I was just trying to figure out if a 3 day trek to Texas and back would be practical. I guess maybe I dint know what I am trying to say. I guess I dint want to look stoopid dragging my trailer half way across the country and just wanted to know if anyone else has done this or would I be better off renting a mh. But by renting a mh kinda defeaters the purpose of having my own trailer to sleep in. We have alto of small camping trips planned out before we make a big trip like that.

Concord to Austin is 2073 highway miles.  Anything is possible but that is a one hell of a 3 day trip -- 691 miles a day.  Team driving you might make it but it will be a chore.  Most us like to keep things to 300 miles a day on down.  

If three days is mandatory, fly.

Having run many a day years ago  like that, it's a killer and ervery reason possible to the start of a divorce.    In plain words it's crazy as hell.  Jut driving a car that way is bad enough  I'm absolutely certain you will NOT enjoy the trip with that drive without the trailer  let alone with it.  YOu need at least 4 days 1 way  without the trailer, perhaps 6 with trailer.  Also that's not allowing for stoppages due to weather

I am a driving nut, We used to live in nashville for a year, used to make the 18 hour drive non stop, Yes it was rough, took 3 days to recoop from that one, i was planning 3 days down n 3 days back. I had time to really think about it today. I would need at least 10 days to have a good time, So I think i am going to abandon those thoughts. But we are going to do a week at Niagra Falls this summer. really looking foreward to that. The weather has been really warm up here, there are a few seasonal places with indoor heated pool,game room and HOT TUB, Love those. So kids will keep busy too. I really want to take this thing out.
But thank you for all your replies, A few hours behind the wheel and things are much clearer. (Sometimes its nice to get back to work)

Good you figured it out  cuz you would have been miserable to be aroundd after making that kind of trip  Oh  BTW  here in Arizona they have Hot Tubs too in fact the one here at PEM is 21' in Diameter, and I'll be in it in a few minutes after a dip in the heated pool.  Worn out today pitching horseshoes and golfing  while even throwing in a wee bit of shopping.  What a life, but someone has to do it, might as well be me.  Good luck on you're trips

Everyone's tolerance for driving is different. For me, a 2700 mile trip would be around 65 hrs. driving solo. 54 hrs. driving, 3hrs. fueling & 8 hrs. sleep. I like to drive 18 - 20hrs.  per day. I don't sleep for more than 3hrs. at a time. I usually drive the 1600 plus miles from AZ. to IA. not stop, except for fuel. My wife makes sandwiches & snacks before we leave so that helps save time. With 2,000,000 (safe) miles in a big truck, the 500 - 600 miles I drive every night for my job, seems like a short drive.
At 48 yrs. old, I guess I have slowed down some. I only work 4 days a week now so we can have a 3 day weekend to go play relax in our toyhauler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom