Crossing Border to Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chunter

Any info on crossing border to Canada near Buffalo, NY.? I am travelling in a 39' 2" Fleetwood Excursion, towing a Chevy Colorado.? Also, any help on campground in the area.

Charlie

Charlie

We crossed at Niagara Falls with no problems. Check out some border crossing info in our library - click the Library button in the toolbar above, then click RVing in Canada and select Crossing the border.

Tom said:
Charlie

We crossed at Niagara Falls with no problems. Check out some border crossing info in our library - click the Library button in the toolbar above, then click RVing in Canada and select Crossing the border.

Hey Tom - Just for fun - I have a friend who is a high rated marksman and enters competitions across US and Canada. He was heading to Alaska with some stops in CA for competition carrying three rifles along with some other guns. He was stopped at border and he produced the paperwork and the three rifles. The inspector found the paperwork to be in perfect order so he moved on to ask if he was carrying anything else. My friend replied yes a sawed off shotgun and a 45 (?) pistol. The inspector asked why and he replied because he was going to be boondocking in Alaska and wanted protection from both man and beast. He asked if inspector wanted to see that paperwork. He replied No - its probably perfect too.  :D

We have crossed the border several times there at Niagara Falls without any problems at all. Bear in mind that handguns are illegal in Canada and proper documentation is required for long guns. You are allowed on case of beer or one bottle of hard liquor per person and 200 cigarettes.
I just got back from a fishing trip to Batchewanna Bay, Ontario and crossed at Sault Ste. Marie without any problems either way.

Woody

I'm sure his other documents were in perfect order Leo  ;D

blueblood said:
Hey Tom - Just for fun - I have a friend who is a high rated marksman and enters competitions across US and Canada. He was heading to Alaska with some stops in CA for competition carrying three rifles along with some other guns. He was stopped at border and he produced the paperwork and the three rifles. The inspector found the paperwork to be in perfect order so he moved on to ask if he was carrying anything else. My friend replied yes a sawed off shotgun and a 45 (?) pistol. The inspector asked why and he replied because he was going to be boondocking in Alaska and wanted protection from both man and beast. He asked if inspector wanted to see that paperwork. He replied No - its probably perfect too.? :D

I would note that any importation of firearms into Canada should be run thru a Canadian Consulate in advance    I am very surprised that a pistol was approved.  The shotgun was probably not "sawed off" but rather had a 20" slug barrel as is used for deer hunting in the woods of the east coast.

I have a question in this line too.... I have heard that Canada is a bit more restrictive of large (Over 8' wide) Vehicles than the US is.

What are the vehicle size limits for Canada? 

Vehicle width is 102" just like in the U.S.  What gave you the impression we were narrower than youse?? :eek:

Steve said:
Vehicle width is 102" just like in the U.S.  What gave you the impression we were narrower than youse?? :eek:

Something someone said earlier... One thing I'm not sure of is the width of my rig.  Damon says 106, but from what I've seen so far (AN 8 foot 2x4 just fits in the pass through compartment) I am thinking it might be closer to 102, I'm going to have to measure it.

Or they may be including the awning in the width measurement,,, that might push it over 102.

I'm going to use the tape measure one of these days

The rule in Canada that vehicles not exceed 102".  In order to avoid overzealous interpretations of the law, many dealers order coaches from the U.S. without an awning and install it after being imported.

That may be a reason for some misinterpretation of the width limit.

We are planning on traveling to Nova Scotia this summer (July) and our son is a surfer. While researching beaches it seems to me the White Point is the best spot to surf. I can't seem to find any campground near that beach. Any suggestions? Oh and BTW thanks for the tax refund info, I would have never known about it. ::)
What else does anyone suggest as a hafta go see???????

On what part of Nova SCotia is White Point located?

While in Nova Scotia, you must see Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay,  Lunenburg and Blue Rocks, Halifax and the Citadel, the Titanic Museum and the Halifax Explosion Museum, the little town of Chester, and of course yo don't want to miss Cape Breton!

Back
Top Bottom