Crossing the Rockies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyInNY

I traveling from New York to Oregon and back. Planning my route now, marking down stops along the way. I'm towing a TT this time and haven't crossed any high mountains with it so I'm concerned about the trip. My last scheduled stop before the Rockies is the Old Montana State Prison Museum in Deer Lodge, MT.

Which is easier when crossing the Rockies: I90 Montana-Idaho-Washington-Oregon or I84 Montana-Idaho-Oregon? I90 is shorter and faster, but if it more strenuous to drive I84 might be easier (but is 4 hours longer). I drove I90 route 20 years ago in a car before I had a TT so I can't compare the two trips.

We drove I90 from NY to Bozeman MT (then headed south on 191 to West Yellowstone and eventually Salt Lake City) back in 2007 and it was a pretty easy drive. Can't help you west of there, however.

Where are you going in Oregon?

I've done both routes and it's 6 of one and half a dozen on the other.

I drive in mountains every trip so I'm kind of used to them.

I'd suggest the shortest route.

I-84 doesn't go anywhere near Montana. Driven it multiple times from I-80 to Portland. Deadman Pass in Oregon isn't the Rockies, but it's a 2,000 feet elevation loss with a 6% grade between La Grande and Pendleton with tight turns.

I-80 crosses the Continental Divide in Wyoming a couple of times, but without the signs you wouldn't even know it due to it's the Red Desert. High winds and high elevation blowing snow blizzard conditions aren't unusual.

AKA Deadman Pass...
cabbage-hill.jpg

Last edited:
Well, a lot depends on where in Oregon you plan to go.
But, For myself, I don't really like I-84. It's not bad between Portland and Pendleton, but I didn't like it at all between there and SLC. Though, I was driving an 18 wheeler, then, so had a different perspective.

If you're going to the Portland area, dropping down US-395 to Kennewick and then to 84 along the river makes sense. Other than that, Sounds like 90 works best.

I've towed I-90 from Buffalo, Wyoming to Missoula, Montana. There's nothing really mountainous, but then we live within the Rockies. From Missoula we took Highway 12 and headed towards I-84 to Portland. It's slow going on 12. Oregon has snow chain laws for both the TV and TT. Both our 4x4 TV and TT have traction tires with 3PMSF rating. Doesn't matter. They have to be chained up. I try to avoid chaining up. $880 fine.

I-84 East of Pendleton, I-84 climbs Emigrant Hill AKA Cabbage pass AKA Deadmans pass, a 6% grade for 6 miles. WB Lose about 2,000 feet of elevation in six miles and twist through a double hair pin turn. I have done cabbage multi times in my class 8, recommended down hill at 80,000LBS is 18 MPH. Pull out on top for brake check then drop off for 6 miles until you get to Baker OR at least two run away ramps.

Old trucker saying: You can go down hill many times too slow, once too fast. Works the same way pulling an RV. Having driven the big rig 750K mikes I'm comfortable driving mountains. I'm also lucky my TV has an exhaust brake to help control speed. Do not let mountains scare you just take your time and stay off the brakes as much as you can, use lower gears and brake as needed. Brake hard, get speed down and get back off to let break cool, repeat as needed. If it does get away don't be afraid to use the run away ramps that's what they are for. Yes my names on the side and I know mountain dring most on my milage was the 11 western states.

Edd'sTruck-2.jpg

It's tough in a gas truck to maintain a speed of 18mph as the engine brake doesn't kick in and you're on the footbrake all the time so it's pretty dangerous and that's a route we would try to avoid.

Happened once on a road it Utah where truck in front was doing 10mph. No pullout but luckily Steve managed to overtake him or we'd have been in trouble.

Down shifting (yes, even on an automatic) will help a lot (not a cure-all though), and the 18 mph Edd mentioned was for his big rig. Other vehicles recommended speed may vary.

If you would be in trouble to get slower to follow that truck, perhaps a change in technique might help.

Can't beat Edd505's advice. Another axiom I go by is you go down the hill in the same gear you go up the hill. When we traveled through the Rockies last summer I told my DW I'll drive up the mountain, but we're gonna depend on our RV (DP) to take us down. Tried to maintain 35-40 descents. Used Edd's brake stab method as needed.

We took I80 from California to Ohio last summer and we thought it was a great ride. I wouldn't recommend I90 coming from NY because that will take you through the heart of Chicago, yuk! Other than in Western Illinois 80 was a beautiful and newly paved road. We took I90 from just passed Chicago four or five years ago heading to So. Dakota and I think 90 gets much more barren and wide open sooner than 80.

Back
Top Bottom