Crossville, TN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokeater1

Anyone have any info on a new single family unit housing area with attached RV garages in Crossville ? My real estate search did not turn up anything.

Thanks,

Jack.

Hey Jack,

Think this is what you are looking for.  Have not been there, but heard lots of good things about it.  Just be aware that Crossville gets real cold during the winter.  High elevation.

http://www.gardensrvvillage.com/rvhomebase.htm

Rex

Not that cold.  My sil and her husband have a house in Fairfield Glade, and he has no snowblower...  not even a shovel.  Fairfield Glade doesn't permit outside storage of RVs.
Art

You could try contacting Carla Miller at USA Realty 877 237 8372.
Art

Gardens  RV Village at Crossville is VERY nice - one of our members (Ray & Ladonna Baginski) have a home there, though they winter in Texas. I've been to the Gardens and there isn't much not to like about it. They have both townhouses and individual homes, all with RV garages (not RV ports - real RV sized garages).

Crossville is too cold in the winter to be a snowbird destination but relative to the northern states it's not too bad. Not much snow or extreme cold.

Thanks for all the answers !  Going from southern CA, anyplace will have a bad climate !  However retirement in SOCAL is just not in the cards for us. Like a lot of others, we will take the equity in our home and move someplace more reasonable. So far I like what I have found in researching TN, except for maybe the sales taxes....

Jack.

Jack -

As mentioned, we have a home in the Gardens RV Village in Crossville. Another message had the web address for the community. If there are specific questions, ask and I'll try to answer.

As for the sales tax, government is going to try to get its revenue somehow. We've found that the TN sales tax rate is no worse than the TX sales tax rate and both states have virtually no income tax.

--  RayB  --

Ray, What are your summers like ?  How much humidity ? Do you pay an association fee or dues ?

Thanks,

Jack.

Smokeater1,

Have you been in Tennessee during the summer months?  I'm from the South and now live in So California and yes you are right, nothing beats our weather in So. Cal.  However, Tenn has a lot of humidity, lots of bugs and very large mosquitos; it would be very hard for me to go back to that.  A nice compromise is to be gone during the summer months.

Marsha~

I have looked at a ton of communities across the US. What I find is there is no place that has nice climate AND reasonably priced homes and cost of living. SOCAL is great for the weather, and unless you are wealthy, not much else. What I'm trying to find is a compromise.
I can take more cold than heat/humidity. That is the reason we looked at Grand Junction, CO. However single digit winter temps there are a bit much !

Jack.

Jack -

As a matter of background, we lived in the Baltimore, MD area - read summers of temps in the 90s and humdity also in the 90s. We have been in Crossville for a few summer months at a time and have not found it objectionable. Crossville is on top of the Cumberland Plateau and so is above 1500ft. Our temps tend to be about 5 degrees cooler than the towns and cities 'off the plateau' and we have found the humidity to not be a problem.

As to bugs and other insects, again they are not a major anoyance. The altitude may have some aleviating influence. I know that when I'm outdoors walking the golf courses - of which Crossville has quite a few - I am not bothered or bitten very often.

The Gardens RV Village has a homeowners association and all property owners become members automatically upon purchase of a lot. The association owns and maintains some common ground in the Village. The association also makes arrangements for lawn maintenance, leaf pickup, gutter cleaning and house washing. Members pay a fee to maintain the common grounds - including liability insurance - and can choose to take advantage of the lawn maintenance, etc. or can do it themselves. The homeowners take care to make the community very attractive.

An advantage that we find in living in the RV community is that almost all of the members are or have been RVers. Being familiar with the lifestyle, we tend to look out for one another and are aware of folks being in and around the community. There is one road in and out, the layout is not huge and the homeonwers socials help one get to know the neighbors.

Having come from the Baltimore area, we find that the cost of living in Crossville is much less expensive. Our cost of owning property is much lower even considering the homeowners dues - which we did not have in Baltimore. In MD we had significant taxes - income tax, sales tax and property tax - state and county. The TN sales taxes is higher than MD, property taxes tend to be less and the TN income tax is only applicable to certain types of income - mainly income from 'Wall Street' type investments - and there is a floor that must be exceeded for that tax to apply.

As has been mentioned in other messages, no location is perfect and the choice is a matter of compromise. For instance, when we were investigating the area, I noted that there is an airport about two miles from the community. It's a small regional airport with no scheduled commercial flights. So we have some small private planes and one corporate jet in the area periodically. Of course there was the one time last summer when a military jet was practicing landings on and takeoffs from a short runway <VBG>.

Hope these ideas are helpful.

--  RayB  --

RayB,  Thank you for your information !  As I have said, coming from SOCAL most any place will be a compromise climate wise.
Our current plan is to visit Crossville and surrounding areas this summer, try and get a feel for the area.
I do think the overall cost of living will be less in TN and so far most of my research is favorable for the area.
The airport will not be a problem as I am a commercial pilot.

Thanks again,

Jack.

Back
Top Bottom