Cummins Recall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin Means

Site Team
I've already posted this in the recall discussion area, but I don't know if all Forum members go there. It has some potentially significant ramifications, so I just wanted others who may be affected to be aware of it. It's a huge recall of Cummins SCR equipped engines, produced between 2010 - 2015 and it affects 500,000+ medium-heavy duty trucks. https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa-announces-largest-voluntary-recall-medium-and-heavy-duty-trucks

According to the recall letter we got from Cummins, not complying with the recall would cause us to not be able to register our motorhome in California, because it's an emissions related recall. I don't know if other states would follow suit, or not. The recall letter also said that failing to comply with the recall "could" be considered improper engine maintenance.

We've got an extended warranty for the drive train, and our provider (Easy Care) specifically requires that the drive train be maintained to the factory's requirements. It's debatable whether or not they would try to escape paying, if an engine failure occurred, and it was caused by something unrelated to the recall, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Cummins is picking up the tab - over $3000.00 for our coach - and they've set aside 181 million dollars to deal with it. Our friends bought a used 2014 MH with an engine that is affected, but they have not received a recall letter - probably because Cummins is unaware that they bought it. I suspect that there are a LOT of people in the same boat, which is why I'm also posting this here.

Kev

My coach falls in the time period for the recall, but I never got a recall letter from Cummins.  I assume that is because I am the second owner.  I contacted Cummins via email, and they wrote back and told me to contact my distributor for recall information, and I would need my engine serial number.  I am assuming my distributor would be Freightliner, the maker of my chassis.

You might want to contact the motorhome manufacture. The letter we got came directly from Cummins, but it referred to our Winnebago's serial number. We bought our coach when it was 1 & 1/2 years old, but I registered its serial number with Winnebago right after we bought it.

Kev

I logged in to Cummins Quickserve Online and checked my engine serial number. It said no recalls on mine. My coach is a 2010 model built in 2009.

Back
Top Bottom