Curious as to what these plugs are.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

I have had this RV since 2016 and i have never noticed these before, looks like they are on my grey tank, any idea what they are?

Also do all tanks have the same, even black?

20230525_200126_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
My first thought was, someone installed these to plug a leak. There is no logic to the position, it just happens to be where 2 holes were. If this tank is exposed on the bottom, it's possible a rock hit the tank, or it was driven off road and something hit it, punching holes in the tank. It looks like a quick fix form a Jack-of-all-trades back yard mechanic. If there are no leaks, I agree with others above, .... don't mess with it, ever.

I have had this RV since 2016 and i have never noticed these before on my grey tank, any idea what they are?
does that typically mean that one is in and other is out?
The existence of those plugs is not typical so it is just a guess what they may have been for. Are you the original owner and bought it new? I have see a lot of RV waste tanks and have never seen anything like that. Like others here, I'd bet they were put in by a previous owner and if they go completely through into the tank and you open them, what is inside will come out.

The existence of those plugs is not typical so it is just a guess what they may have been for. Are you the original owner and bought it new? I have see a lot of RV waste tanks and have never seen anything like that. Like others here, I'd bet they were put in by a previous owner and if they go completely through into the tank and you open them, what is inside will come out.
Don’t ever try to open them because sure enough, it could spin loose. In fact I would buy some epoxy cement and keep it inside the rv just in case.
If you have the epoxy, they won’t leak. If you don’t have the epoxy, sure enough they will leak at the worst time.

ok i climbed under to get a better look. They are not part of my grey tank, they stick through the underbelly rv insulation and look like some kind of end run for two pex tubes. It has rubber tape around them. Maybe dead ended for some kind of feature.

20230526_152122.jpg

20230526_152112.jpg

Last edited:
Then those would probably be your low point drains. One is for the hot side and the other is the cold side

They are used to drain your system if you need to winterize your rv. How cold does it get where you live?

They are used to drain your system if you need to winterize your rv. How cold does it get where you live?

Not that bad ill probably never have to use them. East Texas 100 miles east of Dallas zone 8. I have never had to use them yet and we have had a few cold winters even down to 11 deg F one season but its rare. I dont winterize anyway because im living in it full time. :)

Back
Top Bottom