Curt BetterWeigh Bluetooth trailer scale 51701

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JayArr

Has anyone bought one of these yet? Reviews?

Apparently it's got an accelerometer and a level in it and it connects to the OBDII port of the vehicle. You set the baseline by accelerating to a set speed without your trailer and then hook up and do it again. It figures out your tow vehicle weight, trailer weight, tongue weight and will even direct you to adjust your WDH properly.

At about $100USD I'm tempted.

Trailer weight, tongue weight, GCW, if my balance is correct on the WDH.

How filling my freshwater tank affects all of the above.

How travelling home with my black water tank full affects the above.

How adding a generator to the tongue affects all of the above.

All kinds of things I wonder about but don't want to drive 30 miles to the scale to find out. (I live in a small town)

Have you used one Steve?

So long ss you keep it within its limits i think is cool
The 2022 F150 had actually adopted a simililar platform into its truck with a scale built in that shows results in bar form within the taillights
Im interested in real world results please post them

Me? No but im really curious im a weight and limits fanatic lol ( occupational hazard) but im a huge Curt fan ive sold thousands of Curt and Reese products over the years and ive always found Curt to be quality practical products, im on my 6th Curt 5th wheels hitch (different trucks different weight limits etc)

Last edited:
Thanks Steve

I'll post up how it works if I decide to get one, I probably will. The 6 foot board with the scale is OK for once in the driveway but I wouldn't want to haul it around and I'm real curious about the dynamics of the water and waste tanks.

I took the trailer to the scale last year after we bought it and weighed the tow vehicle by itself and then hooked the trailer on and weighed the tow vehicle with the trailer axles off the scale. I only got a 395lb difference. Then I pulled forward so the trailer was on the scale by itself but still hooked up to the vehicle.

Vehicle by itself 5934lbs
Vehicle with trailer 6329lbs
Trailer axles hooked to vehicle 4329

If my math is correct that makes the tongue weight 395lbs and the total trailer weight 4724lbs.

That would put my tongue weight at only 8.36% which by what I've read is low and could be unstable.

I've got a weight distribution hitch by Curt and I've put 6500 miles on it without noticing any swaying. If these figures are correct I may want to find a way to increase my tongue weight for more stability.

What year make model is the tow vehicle,? Trailer?
Whats the yellow decal? (Driver side b pillar) mine is attached. 395 is low but you have no issueswith the wd hitch? It may be contributing to the low weight (ie doing its job). Have you scaled it without the wd hitch?
You seem to be doing everything right

Attachments

• 20210307_112007.jpg
    20210307_112007.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 1
Lol i just realized your from BC im in Alberta. The Envoy is/was under-rated as its built on a truck chassis. Unless you start to have issues i dont think you need to worry your doing everything right

I'm curious too. One of the videos I watched said one of the functions won't work on a standard transmission because it doesn't have the sensors an automatic does. I'll guess this means it's reading transmission data. OBDII data also includes fuel ratios, gear ratios, you could probably figure out altitude from the MAP type sensors, all kinds of stuff.

I like my Envoy, it's the last body on frame SUV GM built so I'll try to hang onto it as long as I can. I've swapped a new engine and transmission into it and saved the ones I pulled for rebuilding. I'll swap them back in a few years and I should be able to run it to 2030.

I'm curious how it can measure hitch weight on a 2005 vehicle. I doubt that info is available via the OBD port.

I drive 30 miles all the time to scales. A pair of weights in the US at Cat Scales is only $14. I pretty much weigh every trailer combo I have every time I change something.

I picked it up today, $104Cdn at Lordco Auto Parts.

Plugged it in and it immediately pulled the VIN# out of the computer but now it wants to calibrate so I need a flat parking lot and 1/2 hour of free time.

It's not just an OBDII port Lou it also has an accelerometer and some other sensors inside the dongle so I think a combination of OBDII data and the data from the sensors as I accelerate give it a way of calculating my weight. I'm guessing one of the sensors detects level and when you put the trailer on it can detect the change in level?

Rob: I'm just too busy to do that, I've got a to-do list the length of my arm, farting around with a trip to the scales just doesn't make it. It's not the money because the scales I have used are free, they are the government scales so the accuracy can't be beat. Last time there was a Sunday night and it was deserted. The guy inside waved at me but otherwise ignored what I was doing. A truck did come by while I was there and I got out of his way since he was working and the scales are for him but then he left and I was able to finish up.

So this is a total bust, don't waste your money!

It's just not accurate, you can weigh the vehicle 5 times and you'll get five different weights varying by a thousand pounds each way. There just isn't enough accuracy for it to be trustworthy.

I thought maybe I wasn't calibrating it right but I watched a bunch of youtubes and saw others having the same accuracy problems as me so I think it's just not a good product.

Thanks Steve

I'll post up how it works if I decide to get one, I probably will. The 6 foot board with the scale is OK for once in the driveway but I wouldn't want to haul it around and I'm real curious about the dynamics of the water and waste tanks.

I took the trailer to the scale last year after we bought it and weighed the tow vehicle by itself and then hooked the trailer on and weighed the tow vehicle with the trailer axles off the scale. I only got a 395lb difference. Then I pulled forward so the trailer was on the scale by itself but still hooked up to the vehicle.

Vehicle by itself 5934lbs
Vehicle with trailer 6329lbs
Trailer axles hooked to vehicle 4329

If my math is correct that makes the tongue weight 395lbs and the total trailer weight 4724lbs.

That would put my tongue weight at only 8.36% which by what I've read is low and could be unstable.

I've got a weight distribution hitch by Curt and I've put 6500 miles on it without noticing any swaying. If these figures are correct I may want to find a way to increase my tongue weight for more stability.
If you are tongue light a wdh won't help at all. A wdh will move some of the weight of the tongue to the front axle of the tow vehicle and also to the axle of the trailer. So it makes your situation worse.

Back
Top Bottom