Dad's 98 Flair Fleetwood...transmission woes..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dodge

Hey RVers,

Dad has a 98 FF with around 10K miles on it. After sitting up for several months, it wont go forward or backwards. Drained the fluid today and appears to be very clean...approx. 4 quarts. Owners manual is very sparce as far as fluid types, quantities etc. Not even sure what engine is in this thing...may be a big block chevy motor? Was wondering if anyone knew how much fluid should be in the tranny and/or some ideas as to what may be ailing it.

thanks so much

It probably is a chevy, and the problem is probably the Auto Park Brake, and not the transmission at all.

A 1998 (15 years old) motorhome with only 10k miles on it has really been underused.  Has it been regularly run and maintained?  That is often not the case with low-mileage older rigs that spend months/years sitting in one spot.  See if you can find any paperwork or manuals, that should at least tell you what chassis (Ford or Chevy) it has and give you/us an idea of the transmission you are dealing with.

The steering wheel should have a logo that says Ford or Chevy - easy way to tell which chassis you have. Ford will be an F53 chassis with a 460 cid V8 and E4OD tranny, while Chevy will be a 454 cid V8 with 4L80E tranny. You will want a chassis manual for one or the other, and maybe the chassis service manual too if it needs work.

As Just Lou says, it may well be the Autopark brake on the tranny output shaft that has frozen up in the brake (park) position. Not an unusual problem, especially in a coach that is driven so seldom.

Torque converter drain back from sitting for such a long time.  When you start it, let it run for a couple of minutes, then place in gear for a minute or so before you attempt to move it.

If you drained 4 quarts out, put 4 back in and check the fluid level. It's a place to start at least.

I'd bet Lou is right about the auto park brake though.

Apparently it is the auto-park system. The fluid tank is empty...Is there anyway to disable the system temporarily?

Why not fill it and determine where the fluid went to. You don't want to fill it, drive it, and leak all the fluid out. Then you lose powerbrakes and your autopark is locking up. Now you're out on the road and can't move. This is one of those things that if you have any mechanical ability you might be a whole lot better off studying everything you can find about Autopark. Then fix it yourself or tell a mechanic how to. from what I've seen both on the internet and talking to mechanics, most respond "I've heard of that autopark, never seen one". Same response about hydroboost power brakes.

Bill

Yeah, filling it will be the next step. Hopefully, it will work and we can get the RV to a shop. Evidently, there was a recall on this several years ago as many of the GM P-30 chassis vehicles had similar issures. Can see where these could have been very dangerous.

thanks

You may be surprised to see how much fluid a torque converter can hold....fill, run,check, shut-off and refill.....4 or 5 times until its full

Make sure your shop has someone who actually knows and understands your type of brakes. I did my own work after hours of internet searching and bothering shops with questions. I found that not many mechanics even heard of it, find a shop that repairs landscaper trucks, bucket trucks and such.  A grocery getter mechanic won't have a clue.

Well, guess what?? Dad put about a qt of hydro fluid in the auto park tank..and it goes forwards..and backwards. I took a look underneath and fluid had been spraying on the exhaust pipe, drive shaft etc. Got a major leak somewheres. Heard a rumor that a kit was available for the pump set-up? Next step will be to remove the metal shielding I suppose, crank it up and see the source of the leak? Progress...and thanks!

dodge said:
Apparently it is the auto-park system. The fluid tank is empty...Is there anyway to disable the system temporarily?

keep in mind you have this system to make your towing  lbs higher    as the park pal in the trans can not hold a high load on a hill 

Probably doesn't have a parking paw in the trans. If you disable it you won't have a way to hold the coach, to keep it from rolling. It may have a hole burned in the line going to it. I'd be blocking the wheels before going under.  You may be able to replace the hose or what ever is leaking.

I had a hose on top of the frame rail near the exhaust manifold, it was charred down to the metal weave. Heat shield was missing. I removed the hose and brought it to a place that makes hydraulic hoses. It took a week to get the proper fittings. I can't remember what it cost but I remember thinking it was at the high end of reasonable. Under $75 is all I,m sure of. Search the internet for autopark, hydroboost and a username "oldusedbear" or something like that. He has a tutorial somewhere on the interweb. He has a rep of being very helpful thru e-mail with rookie mekaniks.

Bill

This fluid leak is somewhere around the auto park brake pump and reservoir.

If you are attempting this yourself you have to find the leak not the trail of oil. Leaks almost always travel downhill and toward the back of a vehicle.
Get a can of brake kleen and spray away all the leaked oil. Refill reservoir and look for leakage before turning the key on. The leak may only be a supply line to the pump from the reservoir. That would be a no pressure hose. Easier and cheaper than a pressure hose. It may not even have fittings, just nipples and clamps. If access is difficult, try removing the wheel. Use a properly rated jack and jack stand. The inner fender well should have a removeable panel. You can sit or kneel inside the wheel well to do your work.

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom