Damon Challenger??? Such a thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LynneT

In my search for just the right 5er to live in full time ... I have a friend who told me about one near him that the owner doesn't use and just wants the payoff on.  (29K)

The only info he could give me is this:  He went over and looked it over on the outside ....in real good shape meaning no scratches, rips, dents, etc.... it has always been parked and lived in by a single man ... He was told it was "8 X 36", triple slide, thought it was a Challenger by Damon or vice versa ... He remembered being in it a few years ago and said it was "top of the line" inside with W/D, 2 air cond units, etc.... 

Is there such a thing as a Damon or Challenger?  I know of both names but have not found any info on either of them being used together in refering to a specific unit.  He says the 5er is probably a 2000 model or newer but remembers it being real nice. 

I'm just looking for a little feedback on what this could be, if it's worth looking at, and what to look for in checking it out.  It will be kept stationary for an undetermined amount of time and may be worth checking into for me to live in while deciding where to build, etc....

http://www.damonrv.com/motorhomes/challenger/

It is a motor home though (Class A) not a 5er

My rig is nearby (url wise) just change challanger to intruder in the above url

Lynne

There was a Damon Challenger 5th wheel, but Damon sold it's trailer operations to Keystone sometime around 2000. I doubt that the unit you saw was much newer than that, if at all . Information on the model may be available from Keystone. It should have been near the top of the Damon line at the time.

Thanks for all the info ... I did notice after I posted this that Damon has a motorhome and also when I dug around in the NADA website to see what I could find ... it did list a Damon Challenger and the last year listed was in 2000, so .... I suppose that would be the year model it is! 

Any thoughts on whether or not it may be worth looking into for the payoff ... this unit was always parked and the guy lived in it alone ... apparently bought 20 acres in the woods and put a big manufactured home on it and didn't want to pull the 5er back up in there so it's been vacant ...

I was hoping to find a website to see what they were like ... I guess I could go out and look and if it's as nice as what my friend said ... a 29K note on something decent vs a new rig (hard to look at anything else after you've shopped and see what they have to offer now though!)

I'm overwhelmed by all the brands, etc .... know what kind of floor plan I want but can't seem to decide what would be best for me.  I want to stay in the 50-60K range as I am not sure how long this will be full time on a site .... I want to be happy with my choice but not quite sure yet what is going to make that brand I choose the one that stands out for me!  Most of us just see the interior with the cosmetics, but want to be sure I don't overlook the construction, of course! 

In the price range I would like to stay in, I have looked into the Newmar Cypress, Forest River Cardinal, Keystone Montana looks nice also .... any comments on these or other suggestions?

Don't be concerned about what the loan balance is, find out what the actual value of the trailer is.? The owner may be upside down on the loan and may be asking more than it's worth.? $29K for a 6 year old trailer sounds rather high.? Check as many listings as you can find for similar rigs.

A quick check at www.nadaguides.com shows a 2000 37' 3 slide Challenger with a low retail of $18,500 and average retail of $22,512 so $29 is definitely on the high side.

I hear ya on that Ned!  I had not looked into what it was worth yet .... I guess the guy is tired of paying for it (I don't blame him, especially if he hasn't used it and it's just sitting) 

I really do want a new unit but again would not pass up a good deal on a nice 2005 ...depreciation is a killer I suppose!

I was given another option (if they guy trades it for a motorhome) on a 2005 Forest River Cardinal, loaded out like I want it, with lots of extras and the guy told me I could save about 20K on a used one like that.  I guess I'll keep shopping and be reading the forum for more info/advice! 

Thanks again all!

Back
Top Bottom