damon motorhome product

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DetroitGent

Does anyone have an opinion or comment about the damon motorhomes good or bad as i am considering purchashing one in the near future. I will be using it fulltime and there is only me and the dog.  any suggestions would be appreciated.  ;D

Well,,, I've spoken to a few Damon owners who were happy and the son of one who was not.  (I ask him to have his parents call me but alas, no call yet, and it's been long enough that I don't expect one either)

He said the door hinges were of low quality (that was the only specific complaint he could relay to me)

I'll know more in a month or so when my Intruder is delivered

Other than that I do have a few sales floor observations. 

I really liked the layout (Floorplan) on the Intruder 377,  Seemed to be very nice in and out,  Many motorhomes once you get past the rear wheels the bottom is angled up a bit, The Damon line this is a very steep angle, now... What does this mean?

The salesman told me about going "out west" suggesting that the higher angle would mean less likelyhood of damage on many roads out west (I don't know about that)  But personally.... I noticed the angle is almost exactly the same as my driveway at home so it may well mean that I can get it in the drive w/o damage (if the gate is wide enough, major IF there, Else I got to do some strange stuff)

But I will be able to tell you a lot more once I take delivery and have a chance to drive it and spend some quality time in it

But I do like the looks of the thing

DetroitGent said:
Does anyone have an opinion or comment about the damon motorhomes good or bad as i am considering purchashing one in the near future. I will be using it fulltime and there is only me and the dog.  any suggestions would be appreciated.  ;D

We purchased new a 1998 Damon diesel pusher. We had a dealer who was excellent and had the opportunity to be at the factory a number of times for service. We had excellent service from both and were quite pleased with the coach once everything got sorted out. Main issues we found were that unseen items were of lesser quality, drawer guides constantly failed, screws wouldn't hold in the materials they were screwed into, etc.

Damon was purchased by Thor Corp a couple of years ago and I can't speak to current quality or service. At the time we bought ours, we felt it had a lot of coach for the buck.

Damon was purchased by Thor Corp a couple of years ago and I can't speak to current quality or service. At the time we bought ours, we felt it had a lot of coach for the buck.

Wasn't Thor the manufacturer of one of the motorhomes that Smoky tried to test drive but it started falling apart before they got off the lot?? ??? ???  Based on what was reported by Smoky I wouldn't even consider a MH by that Manufacturer. 

Smoky would you refreash our memory on that MH that you dropped from your list because you couldn't test drive it without it falling apart.

Wasn't Thor the manufacturer of one of the motorhomes that Smoky tried to test drive but it started falling apart before they got off the lot?? 

Yes, Thor also owns Mandalay thus my qualification.

I would be leery of a Thor owned company.  Not only does the Mandalay have problems, but the company that used to build the Thor Residency was sold by Thor to another company and then when bankrupt.  Not saying a Thor owned company would be of itself a bad move, but Thor has a reputation of being pretty ruthless in their quest for a good bottom line.  Customer care does not seem to be a key part of that formula.

Smoky

The 5er I have is a Crossroads Silverado. Crossroaads is a new upstart company, they seemed to include in the base many items that were extras in other units. The Silverado line of Crossroads was out for two years. The compitetion was the Montana, Cardinal, Cedar Creek, etc class trailers.  So Thor which had purchased the Montana line 1 or 2 years ago decided the best way to deal with compitetion was not compete but buy Crossroads. First move, kill the Silverado line, now I have an ophan. This move was confirmed to me by a Thor company rep at a trailer show.

Nelson

Aye Nelson, that move is very typical from what I have discovered about Thor.  I bet soon they will say they do not support the Silverado.  The irony is that I did very well as a Thor stockholder a few years ago before I ever owned an RV.  It is definitely a stockholder's company.

Back
Top Bottom