Datastorm advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terry nathan

We will be taking the motorhome to the UK next week, and will have an upgrade done on the Datastorm while we're there.  We had our system installed two years ago.  Allegedly there is an upgrade which means you don't have to use a laptop to raise and lower the dish, there is a small device which does that (and nothing else).  This apparently makes it 'a piece of cake' (that's for you Ron if you're reading this) to go wireless.  It also allegedly speeds up the satellite finding process - I am told it locks on to the first satellite it comes across, recognises it, and knows how to get to its own satellite from there.

I am told this upgrade requires a new dish (and presumably a new LNB).

Does anyone on the Forum know more about this?

Oh, and enjoy Moab, give our regards to all olur friends there, we wish we were with you, except for Chicken Corner of course, we'd give that a miss.

Terry

Terry,

That would be the DW7000 modem and D3 controller.? No need for any software on the computer.? You don't need to replace the dish, but some (a few) older mounts MAY need the UCB replaced to work with the D3.? The DW7000 gives much better upload speeds, and slightly slower download speeds compared to the DW4000 modems, but it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Yes, it's much easier to implement a wireless network with the DW7000.  Check the articles at www.datastormusers.com for details on how to set it up.  It will depend on whether you get a static or dynamic IP address how you program the router.  There are several ways to do it, and I can also help you if you need help.

terry nathan said:
Allegedly there is an upgrade which means you don't have to use a laptop to raise and lower the dish, there is a small device which does that (and nothing else).
I am told this upgrade requires a new dish (and presumably a new LNB).

Terry,

I had my old system upgraded by MotoSat a few days ago.  My dish was so old that they did give me a new one.  If your dish has the newer electronic board,  you will not need to change anything in the dish.

I have the DW7000 and the D3 controller.  One button to get the dish up and it does not require a computer to be connected.

Phil

Terry,

Was great talking to you today.  Looks like Ned and Phil have already provided good advise.  We have the 7000 and are pleased with its performance.  You do not need a new  DW antenna we still have the original antenna assyembly on ours including the LNB.  I think Ned and Phil has already provided the details on the motosat.  I would say go for it since it will make things nicer.
Your right with the new upgrade it becomes "A PIECE OF CAKE".

Chicken corners is a Piece of cake too. ;D

Ron said:
You do not need a new  DW antenna we still have the original antenna Assembly on ours including the LNB.

Ron,

FYI, some of the upper control boards in old automatic DataStorm mounts have a problem with the new D3 controller.  I believe Russ had to use a D2 controller for a while until MotoSat changed his dish.  Also, the new mount has stronger gears than the old mount.  The old transmitter works fine with the DW7000 modem. The transmitter that came with my  new mount is a bit smaller than the old one I had.

Phil

Yes I am aware of the Datastorm differences but the direcway DW antenna dish and the LNB that are mounted on the Datastorm do not require upgrading for the 7000.  I am still using the original dish and LNB with my 7000.

Wow guys, I asked for advice and I certainly got it.  I'll print them all off now and send them to the UK dealer - it'll probably blow his brains out.  Thanks again, and enjoy Moab, probably the most fun we had in our time over there was at Moab (NOT counting Chicken Corner of course).

Terry

Terry

>> except for Chicken Corner of course, we'd give that a miss.<<

CHICKEN.<G>

Hi to Lilianne....We are at the Miller's waiting for them to arrive from Phoenix & the Penningtons to arrive from Yuma.

terry nathan said:
Wow guys, I asked for advice and I certainly got it. 

Well, Terry, what you got here is a bunch of folks who love to internet, and love to travel, so ... As you can guess, we love our Datastorms.

At least one of use is an installer (Not me, but his name is up-thread a bit)

Terry, is your rooftop antenna the first one you got in Salt Lake City 3 days before mine was installed? If so, it will have plastic gears and not speak the same language as the D3 controller. All of the rooftop hardware will have to be replaced.

If you got a new unit when your new European rig was built, then there should be no problem upgrading the downstairs hardware alone.

Ned said:
Gee, John, did you upgrade to a Datastorm?

John's setup that I saw at Quartzsite didn't look much like a Datastorm.

Russ

No, when we sold the Prevost we included the Datastorm setup - in fact the new owners haven't used it at all, but it is still there.  We had a new dish installed when we took delivery of this motorhome in Germany - exactly the same shape as yours, I hope the gears you mention are the upgraded ones.

Hope you're keeping well Russ, and not letting the Forum Crazies drag you round Chicken Corner - especially Terry B!!!!

Terry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom