Daylight saving time over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
If you're in a state that observes daylight savings time, don't forget to move your clocks back by an hour tonight!

And those of you in AZ remember to NOT turn your clocks back ;)

Fortunately we are in a state with more sense than to fool around setting clocks ahead and back again.  We will just let you less fortunate folks play with your clocks. ;D ;D ;) ;)  IMHO daylight savings time is one of the stupidest activities they have come up with.

OHHH NOOO!

I thought Phoenix was on Pacific time.  Do you mean to tell me that as of midnight we will revert to mountain time?

I really need to know as my wife flies in to Phoenix from Baltimore.  My laptop changes automatically and I set it on Pacific time when I arrived here.

Is the correct thing to do for me to change my laptop to mountain time but leave the coach clocks alone?  And what will my cell phone time be?  This could not happen on a worse day.  Grrrr.  Guess I will look for answers when I wake in the morning.  Thank goodness she is not due in until almost 5 pm.

"I thought Phoenix was on Pacific time. "

No, you are already on Mt standard time. AZ (except for the Navaho reservation) stays on standard time all year.

Thanks Russ, I never knew that.  No wonder the sun seemed to be setting so fast lol!

So I guess I need to reset my computers, but leave the rest of the clocks alone.  I am assuming that Verizon will know how to keep the cell phone time correct.

Smoky said:
OHHH NOOO!

I thought Phoenix was on Pacific time.? Do you mean to tell me that as of midnight we will revert to mountain time?

I really need to know as my wife flies in to Phoenix from Baltimore.? My laptop changes automatically and I set it on Pacific time when I arrived here.

Is the correct thing to do for me to change my laptop to mountain time but leave the coach clocks alone?? And what will my cell phone time be?? This could not happen on a worse day.? Grrrr.? Guess I will look for answers when I wake in the morning.? Thank goodness she is not due in until almost 5 pm.

Smoky,

Your wife will arrive at 5 pm LOCAL ARIZONA time. Which is Mountain STANDARD Time and NEVER changes. Don't worry about what time it is anywhere else.

On your computer, when you set the clock, on the drop down menu one of the selections is "(GMT-07:00) Arizona". Select that one and you'll be set.

>> I thought Phoenix was on Pacific time.
====
As I write this note at around 11:00PM, in a way, it is. Because AZ decided AZ had enough daylight it didn't need saving during the summer months they become, in a sense, part of the Pacific time zone.? ??? That's why setting your laptop to Pacific time seemed OK. However, you will need to change the Zone tonight, or in the AM, to Mountain time because then AZ won't be on the same time as CA in the Pacific Zone.

>> I really need to know as my wife flies in to Phoenix from Baltimore.? My laptop changes automatically and I set it on Pacific time when I arrived here.
====
When you reset your computer Mountain, it will be OK. The airline schedules will be correct. Your cell phone should be OK -- Verizon always knows where you are and doesn't rely on mere mortals to set time zones? :). You will have to reset all clocks and watches. Just make sure that "after" you change the Zone on your computer that your clocks and watches read the same time.

I like to hang in Laughlin, NV - which is just over a short bridge to Bullhead City in AZ. It drives me nuts at times because I go to Bullhead a lot for Groceries, Gas, and the Post Office. Each time I cross that bridge, I find myself wondering what time it is on the other side? :).

Oh, and BTW, I believe it is Daylight Saving Time -- not Saving(S) time.

Ron said:
Fortunately we are in a state with more sense than to fool around setting clocks ahead and back again.? We will just let you less fortunate folks play with your clocks. ;D ;D ;) ;)? IMHO daylight savings time is one of the stupidest activities they have come up with.

I agree, Ron, but think it should be the other way around. My vote goes to keeping Daylight Saving Time all year. I have sympathy for those going to work and school in the dark, but also hate to have it get dark at 5:00 PM. It's depressing. But the real reasoning now is more on energy savings.

Were you aware that as part of the energy bill DST will be extended 4-5 weeks beginning in 2007 -- and so end in November sometime vs. October? This way company's such as Exxon won't have to turn on their lights to count their 3rd quarter profits  :mad:.

Oh, and BTW, I believe it is Daylight Saving Time -- not Saving(S) time.

Gee Bob, it took me 25 years to quit calling it summer time (as in BST) and now find most folks I've been listening to for the last 25 years, including evening news, have been saying it wrong. I'll still change my clocks tonight though, with or without the 's'. Can't wait another 25 years to get it right.

I have heard that they are intending to extend DST DUMB DUMB DUMB.  I would have no problem with just moving the clocks one time and leaving it that way but this changing times twice a year is just plain stupid.

Buy the way you are absolutely correct the Daylight Saving Time is the correct name not Daylight Savings Time.

Yea we can't have the oil giants wasting power to light the place up while their counting the proceeds of their ripoff of the public. :-\ :'(

As I said Ron, it took me 25 years to quit calling it British Summer Time (BST) and yes, I now know the correct spelling. This is a tough crowd.

Of course, I could have said that English is my second language (which it is) and Amerispeak is my third language  ;D

FWIW I went back and corrected the spelling.

The forum time switched on cue. Although the server is in Dallas, my local forum time switched at 2.00am Pacific Time to 1.00am. Since local forum time is set in my profile to be a "fixed" 2 hours offset from the server time (it doesn't use the clock in my PC), I was curious to see if it changed when the server changed, but it didn't. I guess some software guy had already figured this out  ;)

For years I believed that my memory of "Daylight Saving Time" was correct; it started during WW-2 to conserve daylight for more time to work in our "Victory Gardens."

But that's not what the historical websites tell me. WRONG AGAIN, BUCK!

Benjamin Franklin started the idea, but "The plan was not formally adopted in the U.S. until 1918. 'An Act to preserve daylight and provide standard time for the United States' was enacted on March 19, 1918. [See law] It both established standard time zones and set summer DST to begin on March 31, 1918. Daylight Saving Time was observed for seven months in 1918 and 1919."

It's amazing what a Google search on almost any subject will turn up  :)  But, don't believe everything you read online.

Tom said:
Gee Bob, it took me 25 years to quit calling it summer time (as in BST) and now find most folks I've been listening to for the last 25 years, including evening news, have been saying it wrong. I'll still change my clocks tonight though, with or without the 's'. Can't wait another 25 years to get it right.

I hear you, Tom -- I say it wrong most of the time myself. I see you are a late night person as I am most of the time. Do you sleep in or just don't require that much sleep? It started with me when I was writing. Most cannot "turn-on" the creative stuff for writing at will -- it just has to happen. With me, unfortunately, it's late at night or early in the AM so my sleep suffers a bit. Same is true with Programming. I seem to do my best stuff between 11:00PM and 2:00AM. But, hey, we picked up an hour last night  :).

Here's an interesting story about DST: http://theedge.bostonherald.com/lifeNews/view.bg?articleid=109455 titled The dark story behind daylight-saving time

Back
Top Bottom