Dead battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rjaboek7

Had my battery die so I replaced it. It then went dead again so I replaced the converter. Just went out to the camper after it sitting for 6 days and it is dead again. But when we camped over Labor Day weekend we didn’t have any problems. It has been plugged in ever since we have been home. Anyone have ideas of what else to check?

Repair by replacement might get you there eventually but a systematic diagnosis of the systems will take you to the issue more directly.

Since the batteries and converter are now new you can probably check those off the list. Batteries can only supply the power they've been charged with so the first check is to see if the power from the (working) converter is making it to the (working) batteries. Use a voltmeter and you will see the charging voltage present at each, nominally 14.4V.

Next question is to figure out what's discharging them. It could be something unexpected like a failed electronic assembly or switching control, or something simple like a light being left on in a basement compartment you don't see. Pulling fuses and observing the the current change going out of the batteries will help isolate where the power is going.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I agree with Mark's opinion. Do you have a volt/ohm meter to troubleshoot with? Are you sure that the 120V is getting to the converter now that you are parked at home? It would seem highly suspicious since the battery did fine when you were gone. I would check the voltage across the battery posts with the shore power unplugged, then plug it in and check again. If the power is getting to the battery the voltage will increase noticeably no matter what the state of charge is. Just to be sure, if you have a battery disconnect that is open make sure that it is in the proper position and that voltage actually does pass through it.

Welcome to the forum.
Have you checked the entrance panel at the house to make sure that breaker hasn’t tripped? Shut it off then back on

Tv still was working with the dead battery so I assumed the shore power was working. Did put a volt meter on the battery and unplugged and plugged the shore power back in but didn’t see a big change in the volts. I’ll check the converter to see if the power to it is good I guess is the next step.

There will be small draws all the time, clocks, LEd lights etc. Start at the begining, cables all tight? Fuse/relay between converter and battery? A volt meter will be your friend finding whats happening.

Did put a volt meter on the battery and unplugged and plugged the shore power back in but didn’t see a big change in the volts. I’ll check the converter to see if the power to it is good I guess is the next step.
The actual output voltage produced by the charging system will vary depending on temperature and load, but will typically be about 1-1/2 to 2 volts higher than battery voltage.

You should see 13.5V or more at the output of the converter.

Back
Top Bottom